Who makes this 4WD bike rack?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Find a thread on racks that doesn't. George is a forum sponsor, but, well, I'll leave it at that

Jessarpi

Squid
So George............... tell me more about your 2+2 racks then. When are they available?

I will be in the market early next year.
Will need a 2 bike carrier for 95% of the time on either the Commodore Wagon or Hilux Dual Cab with Canopy. The other 5% and need for 4 bikes will be on the back of the Jayco Hawk Offroad Camper that has a hitch receiver already.

Do you have a factory / showroom that I can come and have a look at your carriers?

Can I also suggest selling wheel hoops for 16" and 20" wheels.

Jessarpi

Squid
So George...... when will your 2+2 carrier be available and do you have a workshop / showroom that I can come and have a look?

In the market for one next year, 95% use as a 2X bike carrier on a Commodore Wagon or on a Dual Cab Hilux with a canopy and also on a Jayco Hawk Outback that has a hitch already mounted on the back. The other 5% it will be used as a 4X bike carrier on all 3.

Can I also suggest you make wheel hoops for 16" and 20" wheels.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
So George............... tell me more about your 2+2 racks then. When are they available?

I will be in the market early next year.
Will need a 2 bike carrier for 95% of the time on either the Commodore Wagon or Hilux Dual Cab with Canopy. The other 5% and need for 4 bikes will be on the back of the Jayco Hawk Offroad Camper that has a hitch receiver already.

Do you have a factory / showroom that I can come and have a look at your carriers?

Can I also suggest selling wheel hoops for 16" and 20" wheels.
We've been shipping the 4x4x2/4x4x4 family with the ability to convert between the two for several months now. Just haven't announced it yet but will when we have production capacity up and can satisfy demand. I've been using that combination for over a year and love it.

No problem with both vehicles. Know them well and it's the same compact main beam carrier for both except for the pivot base. One for each vehicle - compact high profile on the Commodore and extended high profile on the Hilux in order to deliver improved departure clearance over the low(ish) tow bar.

We can point you to a bike shop if you prefer.

No problem either with smaller bicycles - been supporting them for years. The standard wheel support cradles support and stabilize wheel formats between 24" and 31" with tyre sizes from ultra-thin time trial tyres on solid carbon rims through to 2.7" wide downhill MTB race tyres. The *only* contact with the wheel cradle is at the tread and not sidewall. When the going gets rough, regardless of the bicycle wheel and tyre type, we make sure that each wheel is stabilized at two contact points and that there is never any chance of marking a rim - especially a carbon fibre rim. If a tyre goes flat during the journey, the wheel remains stabilized and protected - and the bicycle secure.

When the wheel format is smaller than 24" we usually just swap these wheel support cradles with a smaller size that we manufacture specifically for 16"-26" bicycle wheels. There is an overlap in supported wheel sizes between the two versions of wheel support cradles.

If you ever cross to the dark side and take up Road Bicycles, the same components as above support, stabilize and protect the most delicate of light weight carbon fibre road bicycles. We even have several adventure racers who cross the country with 7kg time trial bicycles on carbon rims and you don't get more fragile than that. Because the bicycles are so well stabilized, you never have to deal with fretted wheel and head stem bearings on a hard corrugated trip.

With the Hawk camper trailer, the same hardware as the Hilux should be fine. We can give you some pointers on the rear mount. That camper however does like to be well balanced - particularly at high speeds and in the event of an emergency turning manoeuvre. With the 2+2 configuration of the proposed carrier for you, you have the ability to split into two carriers - which is again unique in the industry. That means that you are able to configure 2 on the front and 2 on the rear - or 1 and 3, or 3 and 1, etc. Fine tube the trailer balance and ball weight for the perfect trailer dynamics. That's gold for relaxed travel.

If you do split into two carriers then the forward tilt pivot base will allow you to tilt up and forward to access the storage compartment on the front of the Hawk camper and to deploy the bed. A bit like this Mission off-road camper trailer:

Hope that helps.

Apologies up front Boomer. It's just our style to be thorough with communications so that there are never any surprises.

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can vouch for the system. George supplied me with it earlier this year and I am exceptional happy. Have been trying to add a few bits to basically give me the works (2 complete carriers a 4 bike, a 2 bike and a mount for the front of my camper) I currently have to swap some parts between the two (think wheel cradles and support arms) but eventually I will have everything to run them concurrently and carry 6 bikes - 4 on the front of my camper and 2 on the back. Also hoping to add another hitch bracket so it can run as a 4 and 2 on separate cars when we head of for races or rides with mates etc....

George is very thorough in his service and the quality of the product is second to none. The guy from MTB summed it up when he said "its the first rack that has ever gain my complete trust" it totally takes the worry out of bike transportation.

It costs a pretty penny but as always in life you get what you pay for.....

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
carry 6 bikes - 4 on the front of my camper and 2 on the back. Also hoping to add another hitch bracket so it can run as a 4 and 2 on separate cars when we head of for races or rides with mates etc....

George is very thorough in his service and the quality of the product is second to none. The guy from MTB summed it up when he said "its the first rack that has ever gain my complete trust" it totally takes the worry out of bike transportation.

It costs a pretty penny but as always in life you get what you pay for.....
Hey SF, good to hear from you and it's great to hear that you're getting out there with the bikes on board.

A couple of nice and unexpected developments that I've found when travelling with the 4x4x4/4x4x2 combination like yours is that invariably when camping there will be another family with bikes as well that you get chatting to.

Over a campfire, the "dads" will invariably scheme to take off for a day for some rough tracks and slip the 4x4x2/40 degree departure angle main beam onto the back of the 4WD while the rest of the families play at the beach. Those sorts of day trips tend to get pretty hairy for the blokes.

Other times, load up the 4x4x4/25 carrier with kids bikes and spend time driving 4WD tracks. At the top of a hill on the track, it takes less than a minute to unload all of the bikes and the kids ride along and down the track. Meet up down the bottom and pick them up again to drive up the next hill - repeat. The children love it and it's a terrific way to get them into *real* mountain bike riding without having to deal with the pressures of mountain bike parks.

The funny thing is that regardless of who does the riding, that night is always an early dinner and then the sleep of the dead.

You know, that comment you mentioned that John Hardwick of MTB Australia made is really the result of our mission here. That is to make cycling part of every journey instead just transporting bikes to a destination. To achieve that though, one has to deliver zero stress based totally on trust in the product. With trust comes relaxation and you don't go looking for excuses to leave the bikes at home.

Yes indeed, costs a pretty penny as you say SF - pay it once and you're set. Sometimes I wish bikes were like that.....

Ironically, some of the examples noted earlier in this thread had previously dumped money on other brand carriers that frustrated those owners. The way I look at it is if you remove hassle then you're encouraged to get out and have some fun at every opportunity.

Happy travels.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
It got very Denos Direct didn't it?! Is this a free for all? Maybe I should sprook my $8 rack!
Hang on a minute. Free for all?

iSi posts have all been on topic and refer directly to the OP and relevant posts. Apologies if you don’t like the delivery – but point taken and in future we can certainly consider a more subtle approach on this particular forum. No need for offence.

FYI OP’s photographs show new and unannounced product that allows people to start with a tough 2-bicycle carrier and grow to four and more. There’s a huge demand for this feature and that’s why iSi responded to consumer demand and now delivers that solution.

Ideate

Hang on a minute. Free for all?

iSi posts have all been on topic and refer directly to the OP and relevant posts. Apologies if you don’t like the delivery – but point taken and in future we can certainly consider a more subtle approach on this particular forum. No need for offence.
No offence intended but it's pretty funny how you continue to spruik even in response to an unrelated cogitative comment.

Are you saying it's not a free for all and I can't suggest (advertise) my rack also? Old mate's question was answered in the first reply.

You're clearly in advertising mode so I could be offended that you think people are so gullible (it's actually really over the top and in some parts passive aggressive).

Anyway, I don't actually have a problem with it and appreciate your effort to action and support this online community. It just seems very Denos Direct so this is more of a reflective commendation.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
No offence intended but it's pretty funny how you continue to spruik even in response to an unrelated cogitative comment.

Are you saying it's not a free for all and I can't suggest (advertise) my rack also? Old mate's question was answered in the first reply.

You're clearly in advertising mode so I could be offended that you think people are so gullible (it's actually really over the top and in some parts passive aggressive).

Anyway, I don't actually have a problem with it and appreciate your effort to action and support this online community. It just seems very Denos Direct so this is more of a reflective commendation.
Thanks for understanding Ideate and you should be proud of your efforts - share and please don't think for a moment that I would try to control what you post - that is offensive. Nobody likes to be sold to but ironically this thread has ended up being very good for this week's sales and pretty much secured this forum sponsorship for the next year or two.

Anyway, we'll clearly modify the style of response to keep forum members positive and enthusiastic - so thanks for the feedback.