Who rides alone ?

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
basically this forum exists because we all have no friends and need an avenue to spew out bike talk after our solo rides. the dog can only take so much.
And the Mrs is all like 'oh that's nice dear...'

I think people worry too much, probably got more chance of dying on the toilet alone from a heart attack.
Huh ? I'm not seeing much worry in the responses here, seems like most recognise the potential, weigh it up against the positives and get on with it. It's all good.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What I don't get is why the 'watering hole' section is so dead.

Which reminds me we're probably due for another Sydney group ride. I vote for Narrabeen.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The Stromlo social has half revived the Canberra watering hole but that ride is hit and miss, last night they took off early, and the group breaks up pretty quickly. Was rad to meet @Haakon last night though, even though we missed each other entirely on the ride.

I just keep it below full stick riding by myself, never have a crack at new stuff, but also ride the popular tracks that have mobile coverage. I've never done Kowen alone and wouldn't as mobile reception is sketchy out there.

+1 for friend locator, family has used that since our son got a phone.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Often alone as most others dont like my idea of technical terrain. I dont do jumps much anymore.
I just carry a phone and wear some body armour.
Social riding in Yackandandah at Yacktracks is fast and fun but can get boring.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
On the topic... I mainly ride with my wife, but do ride alone a fait bit. It's usually week night urban/mtb rides. I used to do mtb only night rides, but haven't done any in a while. If riding on my own, I'll tell my wife where I'm going and generally don't do anything outrageous and stick to the plan.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thats a simple statistical error.

The death rate on toilets figure is for the whole population including Kfc munching lard assess. If you looked at the subset of the population who are reasonably fit and healthy, and cyclists mostly fit into that category, heart disease is rarer and you're more likely to die from accident trauma or cancer.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Kfc munching lard assess ride bikes too you know. :) You don't need to be obese to have a heart attack.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I ride alone probably about half the time.

Some of the guys I usually ride with have axed themselves pretty hard recently (multiple collar bones, ribs, shoulder blade, broken arms), and now when I ride alone, it's usually full face on for the downhills and the elbows come out too.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, usual story! Young family so I'm needed through the day. This equals very early solo rides a lot of the time. Only other riders I know getting up as early are roadies!
But I'm usually riding very local to Melbourne on trails well used later in the morning. So worst case I can't call my way out, hopefully someone would happen along eventually.

I still hit some pretty big stuff solo but will usually hang around at the top of a gnarly descent until I know someone else is in the area, I'll take off as they are still catching their breath after the climb.

dynamitedread

Likes Dirt
Ride alone for same reasons as most but wear knee pads and pack with spine protection even on mild rides. I work in an emergency department and see way more roadies/ commuters than us lot. The idea of time without wages scares me more than the injury.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ride alone for same reasons as most but wear knee pads and pack with spine protection even on mild rides. I work in an emergency department and see way more roadies/ commuters than us lot. The idea of time without wages scares me more than the injury.
I often wonder how many mountain bikers end up in ED, I see the ambos attend my local trails quite frequently. I haven't needed to go myself for a while but I think the young nurses used to have a good laugh after scouring the dirt and gravel out of my wounds.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
I think people worry too much, probably got more chance of dying on the toilet alone from a heart attack.
So it’s “shit out of luck” vs “lucked out shitting”...

I often wonder how many mountain bikers end up in ED, I see the ambos attend my local trails quite frequently. I haven't needed to go myself for a while but I think the young nurses used to have a good laugh after scouring the dirt and gravel out of my wounds.
I don’t know much about ED visits, although I guy I work with was training on Mt. Cootha for a trekking trip to Nepal with a dentist that was going too. Some mtb’ers rode by and the dentist apparently commented to my workmate “those guys have made me a lot of money”.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
...SNIP...
On a slight tangent but still on topic I purchased a Garmin inReach mini the other day after watching that movie 127 hours and just imagining the conversations I'd have with myself if I ended up in a similar situation and had decided that I was too tight to buy one.
I reckon you’ll be ok, provided you don’t ride your bike down any slot canyons in Southern Utah;)

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
I ride alone probably 80% of the time, except when in Bright, and really enjoy my time alone. I don’t push as hard, or do silly things, and realise anything could happen at any time though really enjoy the solitude.

I’ve thought about getting a tracker type device, something like “The spot” though haven’t yet. I let my wife know where I am and when I’m expected home. I also have really good insurance policies;)

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Most of my rides are solo. I just stick to trails I know pretty well, and don't attempt anything too risky. Worst that's happened so far is a bruised rib at Lysterfield. Several people stopped to check that I was ok while I was catching my breath by the side of the trail, which was reassuring.