Who rides alone ?

wavike

Likes Dirt
Usually ride alone off road. I was exploring a little used forest near me and found a nice gravel track/fire road I hadn't been on before along a creek. Followed it to where it stopped following the creek and a steep rocky fireroad branched off with a No Horses/ No Exit sign. What the heck probably leads to a road and sign only there as too steep for horses. So push bike up ride down then there was another bigger steeper up. So up I went, parts I had to push bike forward grap brakes take a step and repeat. Got to the top eventually and another sign Private Property No exit and still a fair way from the road. So back down I go, sliding the bikes tail around in front use it as a brace take a step down and repeat. Not as much fun as training ride with Ackland me thinks.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
"When lights flash, what does god do?"

So many questions, so little time.........

Anyhow, back to the original question.

Group riding is overrated until you have a big off and need someone to:
  1. Take photos
  2. Help you find your way back to the local pharmacy to help put yourself back together

I have had some great group rides with lots o' memories tucked away between my ears but I also like solitude. A solo bike ride is one of those rare 'I've checked out temporarily' times and you should enjoy it.

Although solo night rides always makes you feel like you will get eaten by whatever made that sound in the grass next to you.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Mostly solo, mental aspect has definitely kicked in. Always ride safe first, not as fun but end of the day gotta get home..

Coopz

Likes Dirt
85% of the time by myself, same when I go motorcycle riding. Always find with group rides people become competitive and want to show off. My last mtb ride with some work friends was a scary experience..
I just go at my own pace, if the tide gets too rough or tricky I just get off and push my bike.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
85% of the time by myself, same when I go motorcycle riding. Always find with group rides people become competitive and want to show off. My last mtb ride with some work friends was a scary experience..
I just go at my own pace, if the tide gets too rough or tricky I just get off and push my bike.
It is about enjoying yourself in the end. I've done a few races for fun but personally it took away what I enjoyed about riding.

There are always folks that get wound up on bike bling and I am a sucker for that too. It never ends though.

Riding an older fully rigid HT occasionally brings you back and is nice in its own way. Realise then if you really enjoy riding then whatever your have at the time is the best bike in the world.

Go fast, go slow, stop and look at things, whatever you like is what makes it cool.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I was about to post a new thread on "is it normal to start riding at crack of dawn?" because people i normally ride with on the weekend much prefer to go out at crazy hours like 7am on non-working days and I find it very irritating (hey I need my sleep..why do i have to get up earlier than my normal working week?), and voila! I found this thread.
I was also curious how many people actually ride in groups and how many don't. I'm gradually finding it not beneficial riding in groups as:
  1. I like to start late and many apparently love to start early in the morning for whatever god knows why.
  2. All group rides I've been so far ended up being extremely competitive. Everyone except for me is trying to beat each other's time and no longer wait for the slow tortoise like me when there's an intersection or just to check on whether i'm ok - have i crashed and broken anything.
  3. Ride emphasise is on speed rather than just having fun or trying to get over hard descent or climb. Again back to racing each other. Ok I'm not competitive.
Well reading this thread, sounds like I'm better off riding solo these days. The shenanigans when someone did stupid thing or the geeky talk about bikes are fun, but the later i can find on rotorburn :)

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I was about to post a new thread on "is it normal to start riding at crack of dawn?" because people i normally ride with on the weekend much prefer to go out at crazy hours like 7am on non-working days and I find it very irritating (hey I need my sleep..why do i have to get up earlier than my normal working week?), and voila! I found this thread.
I was also curious how many people actually ride in groups and how many don't. I'm gradually finding it not beneficial riding in groups as:
  1. I like to start late and many apparently love to start early in the morning for whatever god knows why.
  2. All group rides I've been so far ended up being extremely competitive. Everyone except for me is trying to beat each other's time and no longer wait for the slow tortoise like me when there's an intersection or just to check on whether i'm ok - have i crashed and broken anything.
  3. Ride emphasise is on speed rather than just having fun or trying to get over hard descent or climb. Again back to racing each other. Ok I'm not competitive.
Well reading this thread, sounds like I'm better off riding solo these days. The shenanigans when someone did stupid thing or the geeky talk about bikes are fun, but the later i can find on rotorburn :)
Sound good to ride with! Stuffing around on different line choices, playing about etc has become uncommon these days, enduro bro life and strava I guess. And early morning is normally because of kids/wife etc.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
the group i started with leave religiously at 615, got to me after a while, rode by myself but have recently tagged along with the 7am group in the next town

gippyz

Likes Dirt
oh i also found that due to differences in motivation of ride, there grows exclusive group i.e. subgroup within a group of so called mates. Maybe I just haven't found the right people to ride with :rolleyes:

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Haha I'm up by 5 every day, much earlier if I'm going fishing. Mates that want late starts annoy the shit out of me, especially if just for the sleep in excuse. Having a wife and young kid might effect it but I much rather get up, start my day riding or fishing, still get home and cleaned up well before lunch with the whole day ahead. Sleeping in just seems like wasting time.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Crack of Dawn solo rides are great. You have fewer people hanging around and it is best time of day to go in the heat of summer.

I am usually back around 8-9 am. The day starts good after a CoD ride. Getting up is the only hard part.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Crack of Dawn solo rides are great. You have fewer people hanging around and it is best time of day to go in the heat of summer.

I am usually back around 8-9 am. The day starts good after a CoD ride. Getting up is the only hard part.
Ok in the heat of summer, it makes sense to get up early for a ride, or......go later in the day just before the sun sets ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Early Sunday mornings are for crawling into bed or sleeping...coffee before ride too. Sundays aren't for rushing, they're for kicking back and dirt jumps. They never seem to be competitive either, just a lot of encouraging each other and talking smack.

...and I generally only fish gentlemen's hours too.