Who rides alone ?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I was about to post a new thread on "is it normal to start riding at crack of dawn?" because people i normally ride with on the weekend much prefer to go out at crazy hours like 7am on non-working days and I find it very irritating (hey I need my sleep..why do i have to get up earlier than my normal working week?), and voila! I found this thread.
I was also curious how many people actually ride in groups and how many don't. I'm gradually finding it not beneficial riding in groups as:
  1. I like to start late and many apparently love to start early in the morning for whatever god knows why.
  2. All group rides I've been so far ended up being extremely competitive. Everyone except for me is trying to beat each other's time and no longer wait for the slow tortoise like me when there's an intersection or just to check on whether i'm ok - have i crashed and broken anything.
  3. Ride emphasise is on speed rather than just having fun or trying to get over hard descent or climb. Again back to racing each other. Ok I'm not competitive.
Well reading this thread, sounds like I'm better off riding solo these days. The shenanigans when someone did stupid thing or the geeky talk about bikes are fun, but the later i can find on rotorburn :)
You sound lazy and unmotivated but maybe you just need to find a different riding group.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
You sound lazy and unmotivated but maybe you just need to find a different riding group.
Well..what motivates you to go out for a ride is probably different to what motivates me. I like riding hard steep techy descent or up-hill and drops/jumps. I'm not into racing and beating others' time or be the first guy on the trail and finish my riding before others start.

Agree, I think I just need ride with the right bunch of peeps.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Id probably ride alone 80% of the time.

I try to get out 2-3 times during the week at night once the wife and kids have gone to bed.

Ive always been a night person so very much prefer riding alone at night when everyone else is in bed. Well, i mean id happily head out with one or two others max at night but struggle to find others wanting to head out later in the evening.

Wildest solo night ride to date was the Buller Epic trail. Have done it probably 10+ times solo during the day, and nearly as many more in small groups so felt as prepared as anyone could be to solo it at night.

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
I've always soloed. Years ago I had 2 separate rides with different burners that I met up with to buy wheels, and both resulted in broken bones. (I rode out both times) I've never broken a bone riding solo.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Or are you? A few homeless peeps living in my local forest.
I was doing some trail clean up the other day. While I was moving some small dead trees and rocks from the trail I had this strange feeling someone was watching, looked around and sure enough, there was a strange dude in camo looking at me through the bushes.

Didn't want to ask what he was doing but looked suss as, I asked how he was going and he just mumbled something, I then went on my way clearing some more trail up further.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've always soloed. Years ago I had 2 separate rides with different burners that I met up with to buy wheels, and both resulted in broken bones. (I rode out both times) I've never broken a bone riding solo.
They found you that repugnant? Wow.

I was doing some trail clean up the other day. While I was moving some small dead trees and rocks from the trail I had this strange feeling someone was watching, looked around and sure enough, there was a strange dude in camo looking at me through the bushes.

Didn't want to ask what he was doing but looked suss as, I asked how he was going and he just mumbled something, I then went on my way clearing some more trail up further.
Yeah it's a bit of a surprise the first time...then every other time too. Especially at night. There's already enough alone tingling going on with the animal noises! Lucky the shovel or rake has a comforting feeling in the hand.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah it's a bit of a surprise the first time...then every other time too. Especially at night. There's already enough alone tingling going on with the animal noises! Lucky the shovel or rake has a comforting feeling in the hand.
Fishing pitch-black nights is a great one, every noise you hear and it's, oh fuck where did I leave the knife after that last fish, oh that's right you idiot it's on your belt.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I enjoy riding alone, 90 per cent of the time there are people on the local trails I know I stop and chat to while having a breather anyway,

when I get in the zone I find I enter a sort of peaceful meditation state, mindfulness I guess, which i dont quite get while riding in groups for some reason

slowmick

38-39"
I ride by myself when I have a goal in mind. Riding with my mates is a social occasion and ride times can be double that of solo efforts. The plan with them seems to be sprint for a short time and then chat for a long time. The long chats give everyone a chance to regroup, recover and whinge about their week. A great Sunday morning but you wouldn't want to do it every day.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Ok in the heat of summer, it makes sense to get up early for a ride, or......go later in the day just before the sun sets ;)
Late afternoon rides are nice too but can hold in the heat after a stinker of a hot day. Sunset rides are nice and I did one yesterday.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Around 8-10 years ago I had a really good group of mates I would catch up with every weekend, and the odd afternoon ride. We were all similar skills and abilities and the rides had a really good social nature and would always end up with a beer and steak sanga at the pub.

Over the years we lost a few due to mental health (preferring to stay home and eat/drink) and the rest of us really started to get into racing, particularly DH. This unfortunately really changed the dynamic as even the casual rides turned into a race and the usual banter turned into some very tactical taunting. No one would lead out on rides etc.

Whilst I love the pressure of racing I hate having this same pressue on my social rides, I like to take my time and keep the risks low. This meant the group splintered and I ended up taking a few years off after breaking a bunch of ribs racing and was never able to return to the same pace again, whilst my riding buddies all became absolute pinners.

So nowadays all my riding is solo, except for the odd ride with my partner or step-kid. It has meant that my motivation is much lower and I find myself riding much much less as its just more difficult. But on the upside the rides I do do are so much more enjoyable. It's hard to beat having the trail to yourself, nothing but the sound of that goddam noise I can't exactly trace down in my back wheel going grind grind every rotation.

But I digest.

Whilst I miss the social nature, at 43 (so fuck off with your OK boomer bullshit, I'm Gen X) my grumpiness and risk adverseness (is that a word) meant that solo rides are definitely my preference these days.

mtb1611

Seymour
Whilst I miss the social nature, at 43 (so fuck off with your OK boomer bullshit, I'm Gen X) my grumpiness and risk adverseness (is that a word) meant that solo rides are definitely my preference these days.
Yes, absofuckenlutely. This nonsense has become the go-to response for any twat who realises they have nothing of any substance to add. Anyhoo, I digress......

I often ride solo on the roadie, although it's more social when our regular posse rides together. In terms of the dirt, I rarely ride alone and when I do, I tend to take it a bit easier on tricky sections due to the fact that I don't know how far away help would be, should I have a significant off. Last solo mtb ride was last week and I whilst always mindful of taking it easy, the fun factor kicked in and I started to push a bit harder; until I bounced off one tree and into another, before almost losing it on a sction of off-camber roots tree and was reminded that I was on my own and no-one really knew where I was! The pace was a tad more sedate from that point onwards..... MTB-ing solo is great fun for the reasons others have listed but I must admit it's not my preferred option from a safety perspective. NB: this bout of uncharacteristic common sense is rather out of character and as scuh suggests that I may have in fact hit my head already.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Yes, absofuckenlutely. This nonsense has become the go-to response for any twat who realises they have nothing of any substance to add.
early entry for comment of the year

how many ride solo with a dog? mine loves it..if i did get injured badly she is the kind of dog who would stay by your side..[kelpie]

our first dog, beagle - who have been all seeulater , yours bones r broke, can’t move...i’m outta here