Who uses the fork lockout?

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Obviously depends on the length of the hill /steepness etc, but who locks out their fork or puts the PP on the rear during XC races?

And who runs the fork locked out but with the threshold set low?

I find when I lock it or fiddle with the PP I forget and only realise when I go to lock it on another uphill and find it's already locked that it's been on for a while.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Obviously depends on the length of the hill /steepness etc, but who locks out their fork or puts the PP on the rear during XC races?

And who runs the fork locked out but with the threshold set low?

I find when I lock it or fiddle with the PP I forget and only realise when I go to lock it on another uphill and find it's already locked that it's been on for a while.
In a lap race like yellowmundee - not particularly rough - I put the propedal on full time and tighten up the rebound on the fork, but not locked out. I don't want to have to try to remember.

On a longer enduro type event, particularly one with very long hills (up and down) I am more likely to play around with it.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I lock the front on the single speed for the bigger hills which are just a slog on a fire trail or something. If its just a pinch or tehcnical climb then no.

At the Mont recently I would only remember to unlock it when there was one of the few and far between rocky sections where I would go "Gee I'm riding a bit dodgy" and then notice the fork was still locked out. Became more annoying than useful.

markyh990

Likes Dirt
I always find that early on im super concious of my locks, but as i get more tired completely forget about an wonder why my bikes so rough to find its still locked out. Its to much to think about!

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
I always forget to turn it back on again.:p Even with a handle bar mount l just cant seem to remember untill l have just gone throu a rock garden or somthing.

cha_cha_

Likes Dirt
29er ht, i'm locked out lots. if it's constantly variable terrain (like an xco course) i won't bother but on marathons i'm locked out more than i'm active i would say.

i ditched the remote on my new forks, but when i had the remote on my last couple of bikes i would lock on and off a lot more on an xc course (for perhaps a couple of pinches per lap) but now i don't bother reaching down.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm glad everyone else forgets, maybe we need something obvious and bright to tell us when it's locked,or maybe it makes so little difference we don't notice?

Bermshot

Banned
Unless I'm too fraged to remember I usually only lock out if I plan to stand and pedal, otherwise I leave it open. Forgetting to re open before I hit a rock garden sucks.

O'l school with no suspension was so much easier on the brain!!!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I never use it unless on tarmac. and only then when its going to be for a while.
I use it commuting a lot but only on long smooth uphills off road while standing up.
I rate the lockout function, I think it makes a whopping great big differece when you want it to.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
1. For long uphill fireroads will ue fork remote lockout on my trance X1 but the *$#^&&* thing sometimes jams especially after getting mud in it, so that once locked can be hard to unlock. (Fox).
2. Sometimes forget to unlock but because the lockout lever is so sensitive (when it's not jamming as in 1) it will often disengage over rocky ground by me hitting it with my knuckles.

Bermshot

Banned
Remote lock out sounds way too confusing. Chromoly is good, prob best material for a pushie ever made!

When your forearms are soft you want your forks open, give me 140mm (120) any day.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
remote lockout is a useful feature especially when on smooth terrain or a long climb. Problem is how to reach down and turn the thing on and off without crashing or forgetting to do it. One day when I have time I"m going to create my own homemade handlebar on/off switch for RL.

I've got the Fox F100 shocks on my HT. Of course to lock/unlock them you need to reach down to the forks. This can be easy if you are on a road, or something chuck norris might be scared of - depending on terrain.

Are there kits to turn it into remote lockout?

chokolatrush

Likes Bikes
Unlock now

...anyone remember the days when they used to put up signs on the side of the race track "UNLOCk Now" (or something like that). Mont '05??? If only race organisers would do that for us as well!!! :p

I love the lock out...really usefull on the SS for those long grindy climbs...didn't have it for this years Mont or Single Minded at Nowra...played around with me more mentally (i'm bouncing) than physically.

TMLS1

Likes Dirt
Have the recently purchased the new Reba XX and have Xloc hydraulic lockout button. Awesome, using more and more all the time.