Who will Jack Moir ride for and why are team changes announced so close to the season start

nathanm

Eats Squid
I know it's been covered a little bit in other threads but I'm surprised with 8 weeks or so to go why there's been no announcement about who Jack Moir will ride for this season? I'd suggest the split with Canyon has not been amicable given Canyon's early announcement he had left the team but no news from the man himself. I'm also surprised to still see him riding Canyon bikes and sporting their gear, if I was Canyon's team owner I'd be getting it all back asap. Also Bruce Moir sold his Canyon recently I believe (or one of Jacks)?
I also find it highly unusual that team changes are not announced until so close to the season start given other sports make these announcements so early. Surely you would need time to get used to the new equipment, team dynamics etc. All other professional "racing" sports seem to have all this sorted, before the previous seasons close.
Thoughts? Particularly from those in the know such as Moorey?

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Typically companies don’t want their bikes back. I know Connor listed several of his Konas for sale and Troy has sold a few of his bikes via Facebook

Just seems the way in MTB and not sure why. It is odd. Others may be able to weigh in

Surely a joke but possibly not Lew Buchanan sponsored by Only Fans….

nathanm

Eats Squid

would actually make a reasonable platform for bike related content. It's not really that different from the way Patreon works.
The way the 2023 season will be televised is probably going to be worse than if it was delivered through Onlyfans.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Bikes and gear can be part of the deal, like wages. People often think that there are only dollars involved with these sports, but it's usually a mix of both, and they just sell stuff off where they can.

slowmick

38-39"
Typically companies don’t want their bikes back. I know Connor listed several of his Konas for sale and Troy has sold a few of his bikes via Facebook

Just seems the way in MTB and not sure why. It is odd. Others may be able to weigh in

this would be my house...
1674094493325.png

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Most bike racers wages are surprisingly low, so the selling of bikes is a way to recoup some cash at the end of the year/contract.

It's long been suggested he is going to YT and Melamed is 99% confirmed taking his spot on Canyon - he's been sighted riding in Squamish on Canyon bikes.
What's interesting about this is that despite being very successful on Canyon, the decision to leave or not sign a new contract must be led by Jack. The budget is obviously there if they can afford Jesse. If YT is his end destination, he must be getting a very handsome pay day.

With the brand he has created and his laid back persona, he is arguably the most marketable and recognised MTB rider in the world at present. He's got a bunch of personal sponsors and creates his own content, it's the dream for a team.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Only Fans is sponsoring a guy in
SX and made it quite clear they want to grow the legitimate side that Only Fans started for/as.

nelsti

Likes Bikes
From what I've read over at Vital other pro riders have let slip in a youtube video that he's over in the UK in the town which has the YT Mill/showroom, that plus his brothers been spotted on a YT.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I don't follow pros really but I can imagine he wouldn't be riding a new bike until he signs something. If he ended up riding a mongoose he bought/acquired then signed with Schwinn. The image may be that Mongoose is the bike he wants to ride but Schwinn pays the bills so he rides their bikes.

i

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I reckon it's just YT finding some clear air to make the announcement and drop a promo vid at the same time. Contracts seem to run till the end of the calendar year which means Jack couldn't be out and about on another bike doing any filming. And a big announcement like his would warrant a good edit which takes time.

In terms of Bruce selling the Canyon - that would be Jacks bike. He used to sell all his stuff on here and now apparently does it on Bookcase via Bruce.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I worked out via the Bruce shop he was on YoungToilet about 2 months ago… still don’t know why he was racing still in his Purple No1 Jersey though???? Take a leaf from Elsa Jack.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Will certainly be an interesting choice if he does go to YT. Whilst he was lucky to pick up the Canyon deal, which I believe Troy had a lot to do with, he would have been able to write his own ticket in terms of a new team to move to this time around.
Whilst I'm glad he's moved from Canyon given the poor reputation of their bikes, I would have thought he would have moved to a team with a much better pedigree particularly in racing particular given the market pressure companies are starting to and will continue to face.
I can't really see YT running a successful or lengthy programme even with Jack at the helm.
A straight swap for Jessie at RM would have been the more logical choice or even joining Chaz at Specialized or even the Pivot team would be a more beneficial move long term IMO.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bikes and gear can be part of the deal, like wages. People often think that there are only dollars involved with these sports, but it's usually a mix of both, and they just sell stuff off where they can.
I’d be surprised if there were actually a salary as part of a sponsorship in MTB apart from a select few. I thought it would be gear and all expenses paid to go race and that’s about it. I was talking to a mate over a beer and he had a roadie acquaintance try go professional in Europe and he got a bike as part of the deal then had to find and pay his own way to races. Even resorted to riding himself to the race - didn’t last long!