Who will Jack Moir ride for and why are team changes announced so close to the season start

Flow-Rider

Burner
I’d be surprised if there were actually a salary as part of a sponsorship in MTB apart from a select few. I thought it would be gear and all expenses paid to go race and that’s about it. I was talking to a mate over a beer and he had a roadie acquaintance try go professional in Europe and he got a bike as part of the deal then had to find and pay his own way to races. Even resorted to riding himself to the race - didn’t last long!
The top boys get a good salary I believe, have a look at some of the stuff that Arron Gwen owns. Some of the Aussies in the past have been dealt a bad blow, not sure if it's an Aussie thing or not, but Kovarik and Rennie got bugger all back in the day.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The top boys get a good salary I believe, have a look at some of the stuff that Arron Gwen owns. Some of the Aussies in the past have been dealt a bad blow, not sure if it's an Aussie thing or not, but Kovarik and Rennie got bugger all back in the day.
Hard to compare Gwin vs. Rennie/Kovarik. All notable riders but about 10-15 years apart in their professional careers and the sport has certainly come a long way professionally. Also Gwin benefits from living in a large population basin which would certainly help his marketability compared to anyone from Australia.

Back on topic I really hope Moir can stay at the front on whatever brand he's on. It's all gone a bit quiet, although Ed Masters let slip that Moir's currently in the UK on a Bernard Kerr video. o_O

nathanm

Eats Squid
So the first part of the worst kept secret has been revealed with Jesse Melamed moving to Canyon, so the question is did Jack's departure make way for Jesse, or did Jack HAVE to make way for Jesse?

I'll take option 2 for $100 Bob.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So the first part of the worst kept secret has been revealed with Jesse Melamed moving to Canyon, so the question is did Jack's departure make way for Jesse, or did Jack HAVE to make way for Jesse?

I'll take option 2 for $100 Bob.
Option 2 is pretty unlikely. Despite Jack having a pretty ordinary off season he was still super competitive.

I reckon they both got a solid pay rise.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

nathanm

Eats Squid
Not a chance in my opinion. Jack is still the most dangerous and marketable rider in the sport. I like Jesse a lot, but there’s no way canyon would have chosen him over Jack.
Whilst Jack certainly had a break out year in 21, Last year was marred by injury and he never seemed to be fully comfortable with the bike.
Jesse has become just as marketable, being Canadian Canyon have a way larger market/maretable base then Australia and he is honestly the superior rider and would be odds on favourite to go back to back.

I doubt Canyon had the budget nor desire to put Jesse and Jack head to head.

I think the only thing that got Jesse to Canyon was money as why would he leave a brand he had been on forever and was a proven race winner. However I wonder what Jack's motivation was? Also if Jack had a deal done to leave Canyon by end of the season or even when they announced it, then why has the announcement on his new team still not been made, this should have been done and dusted end of last year. It must also be hurting his social media and his income given he's gone radio silent for weeks.

At this rate we'll only know who he's riding for if and when he arrives in Maydena.

moorey

call me Mia
I really like Jesse…but he’s like Troy in that he’s seen as very beige to the audience, and rightly or wrongly, the default winner of a race. Sam’s charm is that he’s low key and down to earth, Jesse and Troy are the cute boys next door. Jack is the ocker bozo that we love because we can relate to, and foreigners love for the stereotypical Aussie they imagine.
Rude has the North American fanboi hype, but I think he’s mentally weak under pressure…and proven he’s not opposed to a few bouts of cheating.

I know zero other than what’s been printed, but suspect that Jack was poached long ago, gave canyon the heads up long ago, out of respect, and canyon jumped on Jesse. RM was/is arguably a better bike, but Canyon seem to have an awesome team culture.
Jack seems to thrive on the culture (remember his shite last few years with Intense?), so I do fear that if it’s YT, he’s not going to be given the freedom to be Moi Moi, and won’t have the same results. When he’s happy and healthy, he’s virtually unbeatable. My2c

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Whilst Jack certainly had a break out year in 21, Last year was marred by injury and he never seemed to be fully comfortable with the bike.
Jesse has become just as marketable, being Canadian Canyon have a way larger market/maretable base then Australia and he is honestly the superior rider and would be odds on favourite to go back to back.

I doubt Canyon had the budget nor desire to put Jesse and Jack head to head.

I think the only thing that got Jesse to Canyon was money as why would he leave a brand he had been on forever and was a proven race winner. However I wonder what Jack's motivation was? Also if Jack had a deal done to leave Canyon by end of the season or even when they announced it, then why has the announcement on his new team still not been made, this should have been done and dusted end of last year. It must also be hurting his social media and his income given he's gone radio silent for weeks.

At this rate we'll only know who he's riding for if and when he arrives in Maydena.
Both fit, Jack would beat Jesse any day of the week. The announcement has been delayed because new team to enduro. I wish chimpy well as he's my boi but I do feel Canyon was his spiritual home.

I hope he's banking massive coin with the move and the new season Moi Moi t-shirts are hawt!

Sent from my SM-G960N using Tapatalk

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
"Having the freedom to hand pick every single part on My bike is every racers dream."

Cool AF. :cool:
Pinkbike interview Moir has said he is riding what I know right now….all SRAM bits…. Wonder if he will mix it up.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Pinkbike interview Moir has said he is riding what I know right now….all SRAM bits…. Wonder if he will mix it up.
High end SRAM drivetrains seem quite good to be fair. If I went 12sp again I'd probably use a SRAM shifter and derailleur, and Shimano for the rest of the drivetrain. Not used their brakes enough to know how I feel about them. I don't reckon Moi Moi uses too much so it probably doesn't matter to him! :p