Who's good at identifying spiders?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Thread dig...

Anyone know if regional Victorian daddy long-legs spiders are a different species/variant than the metro ones. The ones in my house in Sunshine West were generally a translucent grey (even if quite old and battle hardened), the ones in my house in northern Vic now are much more opaque and the bit on the back of their bodies are patterned.

Pic of an obliging seven-legged one from my toilet wall for reference:
0F67A0BF-DDAE-4F95-9419-9A50181C6C4A.jpeg

PS: It's definitely not a harvester (harvestman?) spider, though I did spot one of those not long after I moved in. Their teardrop body shape is quite unique.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Thread dig...

Anyone know if regional Victorian daddy long-legs spiders are a different species/variant than the metro ones. The ones in my house in Sunshine West were generally a translucent grey (even if quite old and battle hardened), the ones in my house in northern Vic now are much more opaque and the bit on the back of their bodies are patterned.

Pic of an obliging seven-legged one from my toilet wall for reference:
View attachment 395321

PS: It's definitely not a harvester (harvestman?) spider, though I did spot one of those not long after I moved in. Their teardrop body shape is quite unique.
Probably the same species, just tanned because they don't have the same shithouse Melbourne weather.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Probably the same species, just tanned because they don't have the same shithouse Melbourne weather.
To be fair, the shithouseness of the weather has been broadly similar so far... :p

(...except for not having that almost perpetual damp chill that Melbourne only seems to lose on days above 30 degrees. 25-28 degree days up here are the best thing ever for a spring/autumn lover like myself)