Who's running Coil over Air?

teK--

Eats Squid
Did 1.5 years on a Float X2 and the new bike has a DHX2. Both have their pro's and con's. Definitely love the consistency and small bump on the coil but miss the poppyness and bottomless feel of the air. It is a really close race in my opinion. The adjustability of the air is great if you're loading up a pack for big ride can just add some more air.
Yeah I've wondered what I'll do when I do another bike trek with heavy pack. Probably just wind the preload up to max and cross my fingers.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Yeah I've wondered what I'll do when I do another bike trek with heavy pack. Probably just wind the preload up to max and cross my fingers.
I've solved the issue and purchased a 450lb & 475lb spring haha. No loosing the small bump with over preloading the spring.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have just gone to coil on my Specialized Enduro. Having trouble due to the progressive/linear/regressive nature of the linkage. Hard to dial out heavy bottom outs even with max HSC damping, and running slightly less sag. Sticks like shit to a blanket though, and leaves the Pike on the front comprehensively outgunned. I have no doubt that its faster. Suspect the innate bottom out resistance of an air shock is better suited to my frame. Do miss the playful 'pop' of an air shock too.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
What shock are you running ?
Some coil shocks like Xfusion vector hlr have a separate big hit feature . Same as fox dhx 4/5 shock has .
So therefore HSC is for trail . And big hit bottom out is air adjustable on the remote resivour

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I just went to DB inline coil on my torrent. Had tried a few air options but just could not it right. So far the coil has exceeded my expectations, great support, better control and bottom out seems less an issue now. Pedals surprisingly well also!
I have a luftkappe in my pike on the front, 160mm and now the balance between the 2 is awesome!

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What shock are you running ?
Some coil shocks like Xfusion vector hlr have a separate big hit feature . Same as fox dhx 4/5 shock has .
So therefore HSC is for trail . And big hit bottom out is air adjustable on the remote resivour
Fox DHX2 so no bottom out control other than HSC as far as I’m aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
True . I've run the air dhx2 on Liteville with similar suspension curve with no success . I was recommended an internal retune by avalanche suspension in the US As being a progressive regressive the shock needed more mid support. Older fox shocks and xfusion and dvo shock all have separate IFV ( shock piggy back ) adjustment . I bought a few shocks to work this out .

Markee

Likes Dirt
I ran a Lyrik 150-180mm dual position on my Nomad3 with a Vivid Air and swapped to a Push ElevenSix and it was night and day difference. With such a massive improvement on the rear the front Lyrik was so underwhelming I changed to a 170mm Fox HSC/LSC 36 and have not had a better handling bike ever.
It did take two goes and a bit of research to get the right spring rate for the coil and dial it in, but it's a far better performing bike now than I am a rider.
Next up is the Push AC3 Spring upgrade for the Fox36 up front.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ran a Lyrik 150-180mm dual position on my Nomad3 with a Vivid Air and swapped to a Push ElevenSix and it was night and day difference. With such a massive improvement on the rear the front Lyrik was so underwhelming I changed to a 170mm Fox HSC/LSC 36 and have not had a better handling bike ever.
It did take two goes and a bit of research to get the right spring rate for the coil and dial it in, but it's a far better performing bike now than I am a rider.
Next up is the Push AC3 Spring upgrade for the Fox36 up front.
I'm dreaming of an elevensix but it is ridiculously priced. I even checked out some s/h ones on pinkbike but the cost to have it revavled and i2i changed is about $575 through nsd.

Anyway I am running a '18 fox 36 hsc/LSC with the push ACS3 conversion and it absolutely blows away every fork I have ever ridden by a long shot. Super balanced with the ccdb coil cs , I cannot imagine how it would feel with an elevensix in the back

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
True . I've run the air dhx2 on Liteville with similar suspension curve with no success . I was recommended an internal retune by avalanche suspension in the US As being a progressive regressive the shock needed more mid support. Older fox shocks and xfusion and dvo shock all have separate IFV ( shock piggy back ) adjustment . I bought a few shocks to work this out .
Did you ever try the Liteville with a DVO or Xfusion?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

sutts

Likes Bikes
Been running a coil on the spitty for last 6 months. Meh. About to go back to air.
What air have you run in the past mate and how it you find it compared to coil?

Im running a CC Coil Inline on my Spitty now, but thinking about trying out air as well

moorey

call me Mia

Im running a CC Coil Inline on my Spitty now, but thinking about trying out air as well
CCDBA, monarch plus rc3 deb and fox dhx air, all on the same bike, now coil DHX 5. Not really a fair comparison with only one coil, and not the latest and greatest.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt

These work well on the spitty

Rear end is ultra plush over rough fast stuff but still takes bit hits well. Can forget it's there and let the back end do its thing.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

John U

MTB Precision
Been doing it for years. Front and back. Weight difference isn’t noticeable. Only downside is getting multiple springs when when tuning the sag.

binner

Hath shat hymself
look at the date.....Thats over 3 years ago bro..Ive tried my share of airs here n thair but mehh, doesn't do it for me. Good deet work though. I don't even remember having that type of guide on my knolly, must of been a testing period.