Who's running Coil over Air?

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
My smashpot just left Canada :p

I tried the Push fork coil kit but didn't like the air bottom out and had a few reliability issues.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Had 2 rides in so far....

Conclusion....This thing is plush as f*ck off the top of travel.

Had to wind back the HSR and LSR to get the liveliness back into the fork, but small bump sensitivity is phenomenal.

I can definately feel the extra mass in the front end, but more time on the fork and I'm sure I'll get used to it without much drama.

Weight weenies need not waste their money on a coil conversion.

So far, so good....so good that it's starting to put the shock performance to shame.

I'll get more riding on it this weekend, try some more setting changes and see how mint I can get the fork feeling.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, thinking of converting my Commencal META 29 from the RS Super Deluxe to a Coil Shock. I'm fairly heavy, around 100kg with the gear on, commencal recommends a 550lbs spring, that sound about right?
Is there a cheap way of switching to a coil shock? Things got metric sizing 230x60 so finding something second hand doesn't seem like its going to be an option. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a Marzocchi Bomber CR but I can't find anything locally, figure if I'm going to pay GST might as well pay it to an aussie company.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys, thinking of converting my Commencal META 29 from the RS Super Deluxe to a Coil Shock. I'm fairly heavy, around 100kg with the gear on, commencal recommends a 550lbs spring, that sound about right?
Is there a cheap way of switching to a coil shock? Things got metric sizing 230x60 so finding something second hand doesn't seem like its going to be an option. Anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a Marzocchi Bomber CR but I can't find anything locally, figure if I'm going to pay GST might as well pay it to an aussie company.
Check out whether you frame is suited to a coil shock first. Depends on the leverage curve as to whether a coil or air shock will suit it, particularly given air shocks natural bottom out resistance. I know Commencal do spec coils on some models, but still doesn’t mean they’re ideal. I ran coil on a Specialized Enduro (which can also be had stock with a coil) and didn’t love it. Had to run loads of compression damping to dial out heavy bottom outs, and it lost all its fun pop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SDA

SDA

Likes Dirt
Check out whether you frame is suited to a coil shock first. Depends on the leverage curve as to whether a coil or air shock will suit it, particularly given air shocks natural bottom out resistance. I know Commencal do spec coils on some models, but still doesn’t mean they’re ideal. I ran coil on a Specialized Enduro (which can also be had stock with a coil) and didn’t love it. Had to run loads of compression damping to dial out heavy bottom outs, and it lost all its fun pop.

What coil did you run on your Enduro?

Curious about Ohlins (and EXT Storia) for my Rallon. Supposedly the Fox DHX2 lacks mid and bottom out support (even though it is an option on the Rallon).

I have read people say the Ohlins has good mid support and no bottoming (on a Rallon). But not sure if I believe it. Wondering if it's the same on an Enduro?

I think a coil needs the hydraulic bottom out control (like on the EXT) if you're going to run it on a linear frame.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Curious about Ohlins (and EXT Storia) for my Rallon. Supposedly the Fox DHX2 lacks mid and bottom out support (even though it is an option on the Rallon).

I have read people say the Ohlins has good mid support and no bottoming (on a Rallon). But not sure if I believe it. Wondering if it's the same on an Enduro?

I think a coil needs the hydraulic bottom out control (like on the EXT) if you're going to run it on a linear frame.
I ran the DHX2 and there’s no bottom out support. I think the Push 11.6 comes with bottom out damper.

teK--

Eats Squid
EXT has a hydraulic bottom out, it works really well and the bump stop is tiny.
I was looking to buy one of them but found as of late,

NSD dynamics no longer support these beyond a basic damper service. I.e. No repairs.

Only a single point of contact in Australia (one person with a mobile ph# and email)

EXT no longer modify shocks to suit if you buy a different bike or sell to someone who needs the shock resized.

As much as their specs look awesome I couldn't justify such a niche product with diminished resale value and limited warranty support should I need it.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
NSD dynamics no longer support these beyond a basic damper service. I.e. No repairs.

Only a single point of contact in Australia (one person with a mobile ph# and email)
No personal experience, but I've heard people speak quite positively about their dealings with the local distributor.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't

I had the Push coil on my Rallon....waste of money as the bike was too linear. I had to run a 600lb spring to try and keep it up in its stroke and stop bottoming. Push recommended a 450lb spring FYI. They had a cone shaped bottom out bumper to help with end stroke ramp up but imo saying the bike was suitable was a mistake but they were never going to admit that. The stock DPX2 was better than that coil when riding hard on the Rallon.

Reactions: SDA

mittagongben

Likes Dirt
I was looking to buy one of them but found as of late,

EXT no longer modify shocks to suit if you buy a different bike or sell to someone who needs the shock resized.

As much as their specs look awesome I couldn't justify such a niche product with diminished resale value and limited warranty support should I need it.
The one guy bringing them in is good to deal with, he even checked in after the first few rides to make sure i liked the tune. The resizing is only an issue if you don't have a metric shock size, i was lucky to have a 230x60 which is super common and easy to re stroke.

teK--

Eats Squid
The one guy bringing them in is good to deal with, he even checked in after the first few rides to make sure i liked the tune. The resizing is only an issue if you don't have a metric shock size, i was lucky to have a 230x60 which is super common and easy to re stroke.
Sounds great! Just to be clear I have had no dealings with the local EXT agent.. I just wanted to avoid a scenario where maybe one day he doesn't want to be that person anymore, no one else wants to take over and then I would have to deal with an overseas agent.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Sounds great! Just to be clear I have had no dealings with the local EXT agent.. I just wanted to avoid a scenario where maybe one day he doesn't want to be that person anymore, no one else wants to take over and then I would have to deal with an overseas agent.
What like BOS?

I actually have a few BOS shocks and although getting parts is a pain, Mtb suspension centre have been champions in keeping them running.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

SDA

Likes Dirt
I had the Push coil on my Rallon....waste of money as the bike was too linear. I had to run a 600lb spring to try and keep it up in its stroke and stop bottoming. Push recommended a 450lb spring FYI. They had a cone shaped bottom out bumper to help with end stroke ramp up but imo saying the bike was suitable was a mistake but they were never going to admit that. The stock DPX2 was better than that coil when riding hard on the Rallon.
I've got a DPX2 on my Rallon now. It's good... but I can't help thinking about something more supple in the first part of the travel.

Are you still running the DPX2? Have you tried anything else?