Who's the gun 29er wheel builder in Sydney Hunter area??

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got my rims, got my hubs, now all I need is a gun wheel builder to build me up a strong set of wheels.

Who's been building strong wheels lately. I'm in the Newcastle area, but get down the freeway to Sydney for work regularly.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Got mine built by Greg at TWE... (www.twowheelsenterprises.com.au). Have been good so far... also had a set built by Alan at City Bike Depot (Kent St) on my singlespeed which have also been great (once I swapped out the noodly Salsa delgado rims).

gtw

Likes Bikes
I had mine built at TwoWheelIndustries. I only had a single rear built as it was damaged beyond repair. I have little experience so wont claim them to be good, but my wheel has been fine. Mavic TN 719 was built for me. They were recommended by some Tri/Road guys.

Last edited:

fezi

Likes Dirt
I've built a few sets of 29er wheels lately, they hold no greater issue than building a 26" wheel, so any competent wheelbuilder will have no drama's building your wheels for you. Whoever you get to build them make sure they are correctly tensioned, ask if they use a tension meter, if they don't walk away.

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Try B-rock at The Edge, West Gosford. No 'Tensiometer', but dude can build a strong wheel. Pity I don't go down that way anymore, could have saved you a trip.

Failing that, drink, ride, fight, fuck.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Anyone really. Well, any decent wheel builder.

It is not hard to build a wheel with 32 spokes and a big alloy rim. MTB wheels are a lot easier to build than road wheels owing to the heavier rims and (generally) bigger spokes. Basically MTB wheels, especially disc wheels, have a lot of room for error. If you have a bit of time and some interest, you could almost certainly do it yourself.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive been reading a few 29er blogs. The consistent info suggests that a stiff 29er wheel is as much about the builder as it is about the parts, particularly if your a hefty rider like myself. The blogs suggest that given the factor of bigger rim, and longer spokes, a wheel builders skills become more apparent, again, especially when taking into account the riders weight.

Seems to make sense to me so, yes, maybe it is just as easy as building a smaller wheel, however given the money I have spent on the rims, andd hubs, I think it is a good idea to take care of buisness re the wheel builders skills. Probably end up giving Drift a go, they build up plenty of DH wheels

Drew Peacock

Likes Bikes
So he's no web master - he's a wheel master

Just gotta say (no offense meant to anyone) but that is one of the dodgiest websites I have seen in a while....
I had a set of light weight 29er SS wheels built by Greg at TWE that I race with, and they are awesome and still as true as when I first picked them up - he just knows his stuff.

The man is a wheel builder that's all he does and he's always busy - enough said.

rushking

Likes Bikes
TWE have built me the most awesome wheels I have ever ridden on, and they're 29ers too! These wheels are not perturbed by my 140 kgs, and are still tight and true after many months of use.
I got them couriered up to QLD.

wittman13

Likes Dirt
How did you go?

Dear Mr. Good,

Did you have any luck on finding a wheel builder locally? I am thinking about going down the same path, but don't know of any people that do 29er wheels?

Sorry for reviving this thread but I would likes to know.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Dear Mr. Good,

Did you have any luck on finding a wheel builder locally? I am thinking about going down the same path, but don't know of any people that do 29er wheels?

Sorry for reviving this thread but I would likes to know.
we do a hell of a lot of 29er wheels at Wheelcraft.

Wide range of rims, hubs and spokes/nipple options. All hand built by dedicated wheelbuilders.

Elvis.

Last edited:

Mr Pants

skanky media ho
Thumbs up for DW, I have a pair of Sun EQ27 with DT340 hubs as well as a rear Stans Flow with DT240 they have been great and haven't required a tweak since new.