Who's using pinch flat protection

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've blasted through the sides of an $80 TR XR3 Factory before but have given Maxxis EXO tryes a pretty decent whack without any problems. Doesn't equate to pinch flat protection though. I've often wondered why rims, of the DH variety at least - aren't edged with a firm gel or light weight rubber or something to protect against pinching.

Squid
I just ordered a set of Huck Norris strips/inserts. I haven't installed the yet, but I'll let you know how they go.

I've been playing with low pressures in my rigid 29er w/ 29x2.4 Ardents as well as my 27+ hardtail with 27.5x2.8 Minions. I've managed to pinch flat both tyres on the 29er (during the same ride) and the rear on the plus bike. The strips are going in the 29er.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I just ordered a set of Huck Norris strips/inserts. I haven't installed the yet, but I'll let you know how they go.

I've been playing with low pressures in my rigid 29er w/ 29x2.4 Ardents as well as my 27+ hardtail with 27.5x2.8 Minions. I've managed to pinch flat both tyres on the 29er (during the same ride) and the rear on the plus bike. The strips are going in the 29er.
Been contemplating them but can't bring myself to pay north of $80 for two strips of foam.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I ran Schwalbe Procore for about 2 years on my SB6. I was running them on pretty narrow (for now) Flow Ex rims.
I gave them a fair bit of abuse, I ride rocky and chunder trails with an emphasis on descending with low (sub 20psi) pressures.

In 2 years I never had 1 flat. No rim damage. Nothing.

The only hassle I had was after 2 years the valves in the proprietary tubes were blocked with sealant and towards the end it was nearly impossible to pump up the tyres!

It's not a cheap system, but it sure as hell works. If I was racing gravity enduro... I would without question run procore

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Been contemplating them but can't bring myself to pay north of $80 for two strips of foam.
It does seem expensive for what it is, but at the rate I've been going $50 (would only need one on the rear) is a lot cheaper than the amount of (expensive) rubber I'm going through.

I guess it would be easy to DIY something like this, I've got an old camping mat that's made out of similar foam.

The only thing stopping me from trashing tyres on the 6" bike at the moment is full DH casing, which weighs a ton!

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I gave them a fair bit of abuse, I ride rocky and chunder trails with an emphasis on descending with low (sub 20psi) pressures.

That's a good result, what tyres were you running?

Anyone used both Procore and Huck Norris? One or both of these systems could be the answer to actually wearing out the tread on tyres before replacing them...

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I ran Schwalbe Procore for about 2 years on my SB6. I was running them on pretty narrow (for now) Flow Ex rims.

The only hassle I had was after 2 years the valves in the proprietary tubes were blocked with sealant and towards the end it was nearly impossible to pump up the tyres!

It's not a cheap system, but it sure as hell works. If I was racing gravity enduro... I would without question run procore

Don't they add significant weight? I might be thinking of another product and for weekenders like us it may not matter for gravity runs anyway.

Tyre problems will be solved once some one invents a kind of honeycombed lightweight rubber material that doesn't require air for cushioning - or at least, only requires air to moderate cushioning.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Don't they add significant weight? I might be thinking of another product and for weekenders like us it may not matter for gravity runs anyway.

Tyre problems will be solved once some one invents a kind of honeycombed lightweight rubber material that doesn't require air for cushioning - or at least, only requires air to moderate cushioning.
"Significant" weight is a personal thing I suppose. I ran a HRII and either an Ardent or Aggressor. I still reckon the set up was lighter than a DHF/DHR set up without the procore.

For me it was definitely worth the weight penalty.

I reckon if I had procore in my Honzo I would have saved significant damage to my written off Spank rim last week. $250 for a rim replacement. A heavy wheel is easier to stomach than a light wallet.

John U

MTB Precision

How were you putting the sealant in? What sealant were you using?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
How were you putting the sealant in? What sealant were you using?
Stans. I split the bead off the rim and pour it in.
It came with the Schwalbe sealant but wasn't arsed buying different sealants for all bikes.

There are 2 outlet holes in the procore tube stem. The one that pressurises the tyre (not the tube) it the one that got blocked up as its exposed to the sealant.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Stans. I split the bead off the rim and pour it in.
It came with the Schwalbe sealant but wasn't arsed buying different sealants for all bikes.

There are 2 outlet holes in the procore tube stem. The one that pressurises the tyre (not the tube) it the one that got blocked up as its exposed to the sealant.
Schwalbe sealant is made by stans, other than the blue colour I'm can't tell the difference.

Also running procore, on the DH bike, you notice the extra weight, but then you can run say a SG carcass over the DH carcass and be as reliable.

Procore is mind blowing, 10psi in the read tyre and slamming into the gutters out front, while sitting down and it just cops it. I've been running 15 / 17psi on 471's, the traction is amazing with no squrim. Ze germans sell it for about 130aud. Not running it on the AM bike, doesn't get the same sort of wheel abuse, but if I was shuttle the AM bike regularly, I think I'd buy another set.

poita

Likes Dirt
Cool thread, always wondered if anyone ever used procore. Don't need it myself (touch wood) but a really neat looking solution.