Why do some duelies cost more than motorbikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

safreek

But to be totally honest, I can't see a new bike giving me any more fun than the old bangers I have got now.
The devinci is an absolute ball to ride, is fairly light, looks good, has 26 inch wheels.
Do I believe another bike would be more fun, probably not apart from maybe a prophet with monsters on it.
It's about 13 or 14 years old and cost me the same as some peoples handlebars. Winning

safreek

Maybe I should upgrade and try 27.5 wheels on the astrix, pretty sure the marzocchi will fit, if only I had a rear wheel to try

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
is being a fancy pants on a fancy bike important to you?
Yes. Next question?

(lame justification imminent): but I skimp on other areas I don't care about to make it work. I'll eat the same meal 5 nights a week (ladies form an orderly queue), I'll get clothes repaired continuously rather than buying new ones. The jeans I'm currently wearing have been described as wayward landfill by rude people. My last phone lasted me 4 years. The computer I'm currently bashing this out on is 10 years. I could go on. Bugger it I will. I don't go out for dinner. My latest car cost me less than a set of new forks. I'm currently growing a beard because it saves on razors and because it keeps my face warm and also lazy. There, thread derailment complete.

Oh and for the record, I'm slower than all of my mates. Do not care.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yes. Next question?

(lame justification imminent): but I skimp on other areas I don't care about to make it work. I'll eat the same meal 5 nights a week (ladies form an orderly queue), I'll get clothes repaired continuously rather than buying new ones. The jeans I'm currently wearing have been described as wayward landfill by rude people. My last phone lasted me 4 years. The computer I'm currently bashing this out on is 10 years. I could go on. Bugger it I will. I don't go out for dinner. My latest car cost me less than a set of new forks. I'm currently growing a beard because it saves on razors and because it keeps my face warm and also lazy. There, thread derailment complete.

Oh and for the record, I'm slower than all of my mates. Do not care.
You sound like an awesome fellow!

safreek

As long as it has a through axle fork, half decent tyres, has some form of service history and a dropper post (I like dropper posts) then I'm sure it's serving up 11 different kinds of rad on a frequent basis :D
Reverb, and it works perfectly. So far I don't understand the reverb hate. First dropper I have ever had, how did we survive without them.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Maybe I should upgrade and try 27.5 wheels on the astrix, pretty sure the marzocchi will fit, if only I had a rear wheel to try
Nah, keep 26 on the back, 27.5 up front. You'll be just like the cool kids (who care more about what other people ride than actually getting out there)

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Mega dollar bikes I get it but I don't get it either. To me any muppet can drop coin and buy the best of anything and the market has all the goodies available to take their money..... but where is the challenge/fun in that?

Answered earlier but does a $12k bike make you faster than a 6k.... nope. If it makes the owner happy though then that is great because fuckit you might as well buy whatever makes you happy. I can't comment on performance of cheap stuff from riding it but gee when I help out friends with repairs it seems there definitely is a point that is worth getting past for reliable gear

Personally what makes me happy is riding my bike. I buy the cheapest mid range good quality gear that can deal with an db give me little/no trouble being ridden hard.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
Honda only do a few different off road bikes and they only do one size in each. Not to mention that the pie is only being divided among 5 or 6 brands rather then hundreds. Major updates only every 4 years. Economies of scale are a large factor.
A crf250 is kind of the equivalent to a 3k Giant. Awesome bike for 80% of the market. An S-works or Yeti is more like Chad Reed’s team bike (worth well over $80,000). Tell your partner that it’s a bargain!

I also disagree that the markups are high. 35% or so on a high end, extremely low volume item that’s outdated in 6 months (announcing 2020 products in May?!?). It’s closer to 50% on parts but the market there is even smaller. Bunnings has better margins then that on 90% of its stock.

Anyway a CRF250R is $10,999 not $7,500.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Honda only do a few different off road bikes and they only do one size in each. Not to mention that the pie is only being divided among 5 or 6 brands rather then hundreds. Major updates only every 4 years. Economies of scale are a large factor.
A crf250 is kind of the equivalent to a 3k Giant. Awesome bike for 80% of the market. An S-works or Yeti is more like Chad Reed’s team bike (worth well over $80,000). Tell your partner that it’s a bargain!

I also disagree that the markups are high. 35% or so on a high end, extremely low volume item that’s outdated in 6 months (announcing 2020 products in May?!?). It’s closer to 50% on parts but the market there is even smaller. Bunnings has better margins then that on 90% of its stock.

Anyway a CRF250R is $10,999 not $7,500.
No one pays retail on mx bikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.