Why I don't ride road anymore

cammas

Seamstress
Former AFL star Glenn Archer has admitted careless driving after knocking down a cyclist while overtaking him on a suburban Melbourne road.

The former North Melbourne captain and premiership player was driving a truck and towing a trailer and excavator when he overtook the cyclist on Rosanna Road in Heidelberg on January 11.

When traffic in front of him built up, Archer merged back into the left lane of the dual lane road but hadn’t yet cleared the cyclist’s path.
The man was knocked off his bike onto the kerb, and his bike became tangled in the trailer’s wheel arch. Archer failed to stop, claiming he didn’t realise he’d hit the man.

But the incident was captured on dashcam footage by another driver, and included branding for Archer’s tree lopping company which allowed police to track him down.
Paramedics took the cyclist to hospital where he was treated for three broken ribs, swelling to one knee, neck pain and grazing over his body.

Archer pleaded guilty in Heidelberg Magistrates’ Court on Thursday to a charge of careless driving.

The victim, who was in court, said he suffers constant headaches and flashbacks and said his life will never be the same again.

The man had to cancel a family trip to Europe and said his life now consists of surgery and rehabilitation multiple times a day.
Archer told police said he had “absolutely zero idea” that he had hit someone.
“If I knew I hit someone, I’m definitely stopping,” he said.
After watching footage of the collision he admitted his driving could definitely be considered careless.

Archer’s lawyer told the court his client is on the road all day, every day as the owner of his tree lopping business.

He apologised to the cyclist through his lawyer, having been discouraged by police from reaching out personally.
Archer was convicted and fined $1500. The offence carries a maximum penalty of $2200.
“It has had a considerable impact on the victim, albeit that it may have been unintentional,” magistrate Timothy Hoare said.

Archer kicked 143 goals in 311 games for the Kangaroos between 1992 and 2007.
Of course they have put in how many goals he kicked, WGAF :rolleyes:

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
" The former North Melbourne captain and premiership player " and " Archer kicked 143 goals in 311 games for the Kangaroos between 1992 and 2007. "
How is that all relevant?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
" The former North Melbourne captain and premiership player " and " Archer kicked 143 goals in 311 games for the Kangaroos between 1992 and 2007. "
It proves that he deserves better treatment than someone who hasn't.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If anything it should predispose our opinions of the quality of character.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
The bloke drives an excavator and probably suffers from a cognitive brain injury... other than migration detention I'm not sure what could be harsher?
(for a start) Having your wife fucking Wayne Carey. He still should have got more than a $1500 fine, that's bullshit. CTE - degenerative Brain condition, from too many hits to the head, should mean that such drivers should be held more accountable, not less, IMO.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Former AFL star Glenn Archer

Archer kicked 143 goals in 311 games for the Kangaroos between 1992 and 2007.
The lack of relevance to how many times he kicked a ball between two posts, for a particular period of time, kind of speaks to the whole outcome of this story. :(

I commute to work fairly often, and I'm pretty lucky that there's a new shared pathway most of the way, but I do have to ride a section of the highway that while it has a good verge, a mate of mine was run down by a truck and it was a miracle that he wasn't killed. It does go through my mind when I ride that section.
1688674324701.png