Why one should ride as many terrains as possible (AKA Why I'm crap at XC)

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Normally I'm a resident of the Lower Murray Valley in the area of Mildura in North West Victoria. Our terrain can typically only be described in one word - flat. Our club track makes best use of flat by being tight, twisty, full of trees and laced with odd artificial challenge. Riding is a pedalfest (but only in one plane). And I'm OK at it…for a middle aged fat guts with an over inflated self opinion of oneself.

This morning…I got a shock. I did a lap at Ourimbah on the NSW Central Coast. Not quite nine km and nearly fifty minutes of personal fuck me. There were hills and rocks and fast corners and many drops and more than a few pinches. The only part I felt comfortable on was The Graveyard which is a lovely twisty jaunt through the trees that litter the creek bed at the bottom of the track. The rest was a combination of daunting, exhausting, entertaining and plain terrifying. And I only managed one lap…

It left me wondering whether I was really capable of proper XC riding and certain that AM and DH are out of my league. My only saving grace is that the fork on the hard tail I'm riding is broken (busted damping control) so there wasn't much front end control, the gearing (1x10 with a 34 front ring and 11-32) is not exactly my pick for hill climbing and my ghetto tubeless set-up found its burp limits.

PLUS': I had fun; I learned heaps; I didn't crash; my pedal timing and wheel placings were generally pretty good; it is a truly outstanding track and a credit to the locals.

MINUS': Self confidence took a battering since I wasn't up for more than 1 lap; it was B lines only (no Big Dipper for me!); I walked a few times….:behindsofa:

I'd definitely do it again since the only way forward is to keep trying but it's pretty obvious that I should get out more and ride as many other places as possible…

Perhaps that's a lesson for everyone?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Normally I'm a resident of the Lower Murray Valley in the area of Mildura in North West Victoria. Our terrain can typically only be described in one word - flat. Our club track makes best use of flat by being tight, twisty, full of trees and laced with odd artificial challenge. Riding is a pedalfest (but only in one plane). And I'm OK at it…for a middle aged fat guts with an over inflated self opinion of oneself.

This morning…I got a shock. I did a lap at Ourimbah on the NSW Central Coast. Not quite nine km and nearly fifty minutes of personal fuck me. There were hills and rocks and fast corners and many drops and more than a few pinches. The only part I felt comfortable on was The Graveyard which is a lovely twisty jaunt through the trees that litter the creek bed at the bottom of the track. The rest was a combination of daunting, exhausting, entertaining and plain terrifying. And I only managed one lap…

It left me wondering whether I was really capable of proper XC riding and certain that AM and DH are out of my league. My only saving grace is that the fork on the hard tail I'm riding is broken (busted damping control) so there wasn't much front end control, the gearing (1x10 with a 34 front ring and 11-32) is not exactly my pick for hill climbing and my ghetto tubeless set-up found its burp limits.

PLUS': I had fun; I learned heaps; I didn't crash; my pedal timing and wheel placings were generally pretty good; it is a truly outstanding track and a credit to the locals.

MINUS': Self confidence took a battering since I wasn't up for more than 1 lap; it was B lines only (no Big Dipper for me!); I walked a few times….:behindsofa:

I'd definitely do it again since the only way forward is to keep trying but it's pretty obvious that I should get out more and ride as many other places as possible…

How long are you up for?

Ourimbah is a fun track but challenging the first time you go. my first time I got taken there by a member here, it was supposed to be a cruise. Me thinking cruise meant just that, but it ended up him and his mate pulling PB times with me keeping just behind and almost cramping up by the time we got back to the car. Then they say we are doing a second lap.... Bugger me I nearly couldn't drive home after the second.....

But now it's just fun fun fun.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Couldn't agree more. Well done for putting yourself out of your comfort zone.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Good post mate,

Getting out on a variety of trails is something we should all try to do regularly.

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the fun read and well done for getting out of your comfort zone. We all should!

DOWN HILL DAN

Likes Bikes
Hi all.i can't agree more i just moved from the northern beaches to wyong an never ridden Ourimbah before now but in the last two weeks i found riding paradise.i normally ride dh an fr but hear its every thing from dh to some off the best single track Xc ever.hay even if I do walk jelly leg i am on fr bike an the rollercoaster is fast an flowing fun.theres to much fun to be had hear.an thanks to the crew who do all the work.:wave:

Hools

Likes Dirt
Good read SBD. And I know just how you feel. I've had a few rides at Glenrock, in Newcastle, over the last couple of days, which compared to the usual donkey trails I get to ride has been amazing, challenging and exhausting.
Every ride has been better than the last though. Hoping to ride Manly Dam, Hornsby and other Sydney trails in the next few weeks.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Thanks for the understanding! Much appreciated. I could have had another go this morning but I elected to stick to the poorly maintained fire trails on family property that's a little further up the valley from the Ourimbah track.

The hills still broke me...and the fork is well done. Climbing is just a bouncefest and going down is pogomania as well. I am no hill climber for sure and certain. Only managed 10 kays before I cashed in...

I may not get the opportunity to get to the track again this trip due to family commitments and with the set-up being the way it is I may be asking for trouble anyway. I'll prepare a little better next time.

In the meantime...need to have a roadtrip and hit up Wagga, Cootamundra and Echuca....or head over to the Adelaide Hills. Can't stop now...

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Yerp.

I'm lucky enough to live in an area that offers a lot of diverse riding. I still can't climb for shit but I blame things other than lack of hills to ride.

Next time you're up this way it is well worth the trip a little further up the freeway to Awaba if you get the chance.

With Ourimbah Awaba and others we are very lucky on the central coast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free