Why so few new bikes with Shimano drivetrain?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I always hated the heavy levers on XT. Drove me nuts, tried all sorts of cures and different cables.

Got a bike with SRAM XO1 11 speed and the light dawned - positive and light with a very satisfying click that made Shimano feel cheap and crappy and vague.

It’s odd though, Shimano road stuff is light and smooth and positive - don’t know why they got the MTB stuff wrong..
How times have changed! Way back when sram was super heavy on the shifter, and really solid clunks into each gear and shimano was smooth sailing up and down the cassette.

So much Sram hate..... remember kids...... opinions are like assholes.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Luckily we’re on a website made for expressing opinions!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah.... sure am.
Some day I'll let you have a pedal of one... if you're lucky

And it will crack while I'm looking at it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
So much Sram hate..... remember kids...... opinions are like assholes.

So your saying SRAM is like haemorrhoids?

Most of the people buying bikes see the 12 speed and must have it over anything else thereforemarketing wins. Came across one bloke who couldn’t get him bike into the 50t super granny gear, helped him out trail side and the shifter was adjusted one whole gear out. Shifted well but just it into the 50t and also into an imaging gear past the 10t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
So your saying SRAM is like haemorrhoids?

Most of the people buying bikes see the 12 speed and must have it over anything else thereforemarketing wins. Came across one bloke who couldn’t get him bike into the 50t super granny gear, helped him out trail side and the shifter was adjusted one whole gear out. Shifted well but just it into the 50t and also into an imaging gear past the 10t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've seen that before too, I helped a young lady trail side with the same issue on a fairly new high end bike.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
They made a new hub because they offered a solution to a 10 tooth cog on a cluster. Shimano have just made a "new hub standard" with their 12 speed offering, so time to start looking for another brand to use.
So now I have a choice of 8/9/10/11 speed normal hubs vs sram vs shimano hubs then pick a bike with qr, TA, boost QR, ultra boost and probably ultimate boost next year. Gonna go join the 26 folks soon.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
So now I have a choice of 8/9/10/11 speed normal hubs vs sram vs shimano hubs then pick a bike with qr, TA, boost QR, ultra boost and probably ultimate boost next year. Gonna go join the 26 folks soon.
You forgot the new Shimano standard hub for their 12 speed cassettes ;-)

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They made a new hub because they offered a solution to a 10 tooth cog on a cluster. Shimano have just made a "new hub standard" with their 12 speed offering, so time to start looking for another brand to use.

Shimano have also had 4x iSpec standards in the last 8 years.... so it swings in roundabouts.

I just bought a Sram eagle GX drive train from the Germans without geoblocking.

GX is very affordable and shifts (in my arsehole opinion) a lot better than Shimano. Is it worth the extra $100/$200 for a GX drive train over an XT drive train? I would think so.... without doubt.

As I said.... everyone has their own opinion and we can all make excuses as to why we prefer one over the other.

Shimano have a habit of just changing shit that works! The brake lever spec is ridiculous!

I have both xt and Eagle X01 on separate bikes and whilst XT is fine, the shifting on the X01 is better. Xt m8000 cranks are rubbish imo. Coating wears off in a few weeks. plus they’ve stuck wigh their stoopid offset bolt pattern rather than go direct mount like every other manufacturer. Sram and Raceface cranks are way better imo.

So far as brakes go, XT or Saint over Sram.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My smaller range XT cassette weighs a ton, the XT hubs are pieces of shite.
My Sram X01 2.1 clutch isn't retaining tension but due to shitmano sueing sram for adjustable clutch which shitmano hold the patent for, It's not easily adjustable. Was running an E13 cassette, loved the range with the 9t but the top 3 are weak alloy and I ripped off a section of teeth, poor for a $300+ cassette.
So now I'm trying out GX eagle.

So far, ok.
Shifts ok. Range excellent.
Only raced one Enduro and rode Falls Creek Ignition so more endurance testing to come.
My sons bike has NX eagle, seems to work ok but it does seem pretty cheaply built.
My new moto comes with GX eagle and a single click shifter. Not ridden it yet.

I was happy with my X01 11sp Sram stuff but I thought I'd give this 12sp a go and it helps to have wheels and drivetrains interchangeable within the "fleet".

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If any of you fishing enthusiasts want to swap me for an 11spd XTR groupset I'd happily take your 'terrible' SRAM X01 11spd group as a trade.

moorey

call me Mia
Come on in. The waters nice.