Wild Mersey, Tassie's next big MTB project

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Great news!
The final $850,000 of funding for the Wild Mersey trails has been announced today by Senator Steve Martin.

The project is now fully funded and will allow the all of remaining proposed trails to all be put to tender, at this stage around April

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I rode this place 3 weeks ago. Super fun. High Volatge (I think thats the trail) under the poewr lines is super fun. Some nice steep stuff and some really fun jumps. Tassie has it going on!!!!

Stredda

I rode this place 3 weeks ago. Super fun. High Volatge (I think thats the trail) under the poewr lines is super fun. Some nice steep stuff and some really fun jumps. Tassie has it going on!!!!
Awesome! I need a bit more jump practice before being able to clean all the jumps on that trail. The descent on the Big Bend trail is probably my favourite at the moment. The next part to be opened will be an approximately 5km loop at Railton (very family friendly) and then a trail that links the existing Warrawee trails to Railton. After that it's the big stage in the Badgers Range between Railton and Sheffield. This section will be epic!

Stredda

Stage 2 of the Wild Mersey trails opens today!
It includes Tassie’s biggest asphalt pump track, a 5km climb and descent trail from Goliath Park in the little town of Railton and a 12km linking trail that joins the existing Warrawee trails near Latrobe to Railton.
The new Railton trailhead at Goliath Park is home to the new pump track, existing skate park, playground plus has a new toilet/shower/bike wash facility.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Exciting stuff ! Trailscapes have built most of Adelaide's trails, we'll definitely give it a day or two on our next visit.

2 weeks after our last Tassie trip in Jan, the consensus when I was doing my leave picks for 2019-2020 was a return to Derby for trip #3, starting on the 28th December this year, we have 7 nights in Derby, 3 in Maydena, 7 more in Derby booked already, then 3 floating days at the end that we have not decided yet, probably based in Launceston. That kills 3 weeks of riding.

Really looking forward to the St Helens descent.... shuttle to the top of Blue Tier, do the descent to Weldborough and have lunch, back up to Blue Tier then down to St Helens for tea.

Booked AirBnB this time, the price difference of hauling a 23ft van from Adelaide and putting it on the boat return is only about $1000 difference to booking accommodation when staying in the same place rather than travelling around. It also gets around my only gripe about Derby, the free camping and peoples attitude to taking up enough room for 4 full sized vans with 1 f%#king tent and the "I've been coming here for years before you's MTBers showed up"

Last edited:

Stredda

Exciting stuff ! Trailscapes have built most of Adelaide's trails, we'll definitely give it a day or two on our next visit.

2 weeks after our last Tassie trip in Jan, the consensus when I was doing my leave picks for 2019-2020 was a return to Derby for trip #3, starting on the 28th December this year, we have 7 nights in Derby, 3 in Maydena, 7 more in Derby booked already, then 3 floating days at the end that we have not decided yet, probably based in Launceston. That kills 3 weeks of riding.

Really looking forward to the St Helens descent.... shuttle to the top of Blue Tier, do the descent to Weldborough and have lunch, back up to Blue Tier then down to St Helens for tea.

Booked AirBnB this time, the price difference of hauling a 23ft van from Adelaide and putting it on the boat return is only about $1000 difference to booking accommodation when staying in the same place rather than travelling around. It also gets around my only gripe about Derby, the free camping and peoples attitude to taking up enough room for 4 full sized vans with 1 f%#king tent and the "I've been coming here for years before you's MTBers showed up"
Yeah it’s starting to get hard to choose where to ride in Tassie now due to so many options, which is a good thing to have, as you’ll have to come back to ride all the stuff you missed ;)
The new Blue Tier to east coast trail is shaping up to be one epic ride. I’m keen to sample it.
Stage 3 of the Wild Mersey trails will be the show card of this project, 60 odd km of trail and much more technical terrain. Hopefully opening late 2020.
My club will also start construction of the new Mt Dial loop behind the Penguin mountain bike park. This is shaping up to be a brilliant trail with a 6km pure descent section.
So much trail, so little time.

ozzybmx

Penguin is a must visit outside Derby... the skills park at Penguin is awesome. Skinnys, progressive jumps, wooded berms... we have been there both times and will go there again.... Penguin is def worth a visit.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Penguin is a must visit outside Derby... the skills park at Penguin is awesome. Skinnys, progressive jumps, wooded berms... we have been there both times and will go there again.... Penguin is def worth a visit.
You need to go ride one of the locals private trails in penguin next time you're there. I'm sure @Stredda could organise it if you asked nicely here's a vid of the trail I'm talking about

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

binner

Hath shat hymself
I've just booked in for the next Tassie trip in Dec, been there 4 times in 3 years now..... this time we are picking up a 6 berth campervan from Hobart and straightlining it to penguin to check out the park, I would be keen to give that private trail a go... ;) ..how can i swing that?? :)then off to Wild Mersey to smash out some runs... then finish up in Derby for some hot laps, only have 7 days riding so going to give Maydena a miss this time round. Would like to try the Tier to St Helens but I need to see how far that has progressed, haven't checked in on its progress for a while. Already getting amped and its still like 6 months away......

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Would like to try the Tier to St Helens but I need to see how far that has progressed, haven't checked in on its progress for a while.
I believe, going on what I have read that the trail from Blue Tier to Bay of Fires will be complete by December but the trail from Bay of Fires to St Helens will be sometime in 2020.

Stredda

I've just booked in for the next Tassie trip in Dec, been there 4 times in 3 years now..... this time we are picking up a 6 berth campervan from Hobart and straightlining it to penguin to check out the park, I would be keen to give that private trail a go... ;) ..how can i swing that?? :)then off to Wild Mersey to smash out some runs... then finish up in Derby for some hot laps, only have 7 days riding so going to give Maydena a miss this time round. Would like to try the Tier to St Helens but I need to see how far that has progressed, haven't checked in on its progress for a while. Already getting amped and its still like 6 months away......
Let me know when you are up on the Northwest coast and I'll see if I can get you a ride on Marcello's trail. I live at Latrobe so very close to the Warrawee, Wild Mersey Trails.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Let me know when you are up on the Northwest coast and I'll see if I can get you a ride on Marcello's trail. I live at Latrobe so very close to the Warrawee, Wild Mersey Trails.

sweet as man...that would be well wicked if you could hook me up. ;)