Wildside Questions and tips ?

Rat

Likes Dirt
I'm going in my first Wildside next year, looking forward to it but I'm also apprehensive that my planning will be sufficient. I have a few questions now, but I'm sure I will have more as the event comes closer, so I thought I would list them all in this thread.

Powerade, is it available to buy at each stage end ? or would I have to bring my own 4 day supply along in a bag ?

I'm going the Travel Support Option 1 - Some people have told me that this will suck as access to my day bag will be limited. I have emailed them (Wildside) and it seems I will have access to the day bag at lunch stops and they say this will be all I need. Have you used the support option and what's your opinion ?

I'm open to any tips or hints for preparation, packing, race day etc that you can give :)

Cheers,
Rat

scratchy

Farkin Activist
Take your own powder. You might be too knackered to try and hunt down Powerade.

Option 1 was great, access to a bag (small backpack) at lunch. Not all your stuff remember, just a lunch bag.

Full cable housing is the go. Do lots of Ks now as you'll enjoy the race more.

...jim

skanky media ho
Wildside is an excellent, if unique, event when it comes to preparation.

Lunch catering is top notch! But I think you'll only get water at lunch. It's a good idea to take Powerade (or similar) powder to get you through.

It's going to be muddy and wet, even if it's dry. Pack spare lube, a gunk brush and a rag for yoru bike/drivetrain - and a towel for you in your day bag. You can usually get hosed off somewhere. Take lots of spare socks and knicks - and/or be prepared to do some handwashing each evening.

Ridingwise, you'll flog yourself for a bit (or a lot) over an hour in each stage - then get a long or short cruise stage...which you will also have to get through - just at lower output. So be prepared for that, if your preparation is going that far.

Gearwise, you and your bike will get wet. Probably very wet. I used a river to wash my bike on one stage in 2004. I also rebuilt my (rooted) forks in a carpark at 6am and recabled my rear derailleur at lunchtime on the same day. Doing it again, I'd run full-length, normal housing on my rear derailleur - and take a spare - that way a change is really easy.

If you're running discs, carry spare pads. If you're running v brakes, take spare pads.

Look forward to the second half of the Montazuma's Fall stage - and the Granville Harbour stage - some of the best bits of riding I've EVER done.

You'll have a ball!