Will I look stupid wearing full face on XC tracks?

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone asks or makes you feel uncomfortable, ask them if they're paying your medical bills?

Seriously, forget what anyone says or thinks, do what makes you comfortable and safe.

When I first started riding I thought, you can't really hurt yourself here riding XC.
2 concussions
3 fractured vertabrae
1 torn hamstring
1 dislocated rib
1 torn ulnar collateral ligament
1 AC joint rupture
And countless grazes bruises, cuts and sprains over the years.

This is all on XC stuff, and yes I can ride despite the above evidence to the contrary.
I'll add 3 broken ribs, puncture lung and broken wrist probable concussion to the XC list :) I admit though the full face (proframe) has seen far less use than intended, my head gets hot in any helmet.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Looks worse when a fleshy bit of whitey blue thigh is in contrast against a black kneepad.

I found a photo... an Iconic photo with some blue flesh showing... just happens to be on the Detonate shute in Derby so won't bother posting.

Didn't have the balls to do it this year, but still showing up to 100mm of flesh between the pads and shorts.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Aside from the heating issues i find the main down side to the full face is it is harder to drink while riding.
Proframe/stage is ok due to the hole in front, doesn't work well with some bite valves though. The parachute was ace for this, no hole in the front but the bar was further forward and skinnier so never had an issue getting the bite valve through.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Looks worse when a fleshy bit of whitey blue thigh is in contrast against a black kneepad.

I found a photo... an Iconic photo with some blue flesh showing... just happens to be on the Detonate shute in Derby so won't bother posting.

Didn't have the balls to do it this year, but still showing up to 100mm of flesh between the pads and shorts.
I'll definitely hit Detonate again, when I get back there.

It's all over quick, but jeez it's fun.

EDIT for delirious brain fart, was thinking of Roxanne. But yes to Detonate too.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

I didnt have the balls or body to ride Detonate last visit, 10 stitches, torn back muscle and eventually a few broken ribs, I was done... still done, lost a lot of confidence from those crashes leading up to that Derby trip and the 2 x Bay of Fires crashes.

Thats a Lycra(ish) jersey too... Currently sporting a full extra 10kg right now.

EDIT: I didnt loose my elbow pads mid ride, I did it twice for pictures... scuffed my elbow on the first approach, not advisable without elbow pads, the rock is a cheese grater.

Last edited:

Mitten

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the help, I'm going to get one.
Just on the subject, would people buy a second MTB lid? There's a Fox Rampage on the classifieds that's been worn twice (apparently) and he's only asking $130, looks like new.

ozzybmx

Thanks for the help, I'm going to get one.
Just on the subject, would people buy a second MTB lid? There's a Fox Rampage on the classifieds that's been worn twice (apparently) and he's only asking $130, looks like new.
On my big bike, I ride a TLD A2 when not doing risky stuff, Fox Proframe at all other times.

XC and all other rides, a Kask Protone (roadie shit)

Don't feel you cant ever be too safe. Riding uphill should be the only limiter of wearing your full face.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
If you ride with a pack, one of the detachable chin guard helmets can be good.

I'm wearing my chin guard more and more now. Usually I'll have it on the pack on the way up the top, then clip it on before the descent. Then usually I'll just keep it on for the rest of the ride.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Would be a much better option than the fox rampage. Also much better than the helmets with removable face.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
@Mitten I would buy a second hand helmet, but really carefully. Probably on RB over other sources - need to trust the history the seller says it has, like if it was being sold because it didn't fit well etc.