Will XT M8000 GS (Medium Cage) 11 speed derailleur fit 11-46?

Sandakan

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,
Need some real world advice from someone who has actually done this install. There's lots of conflicting opinions on the internet but would be great to hear from someone who can give me some experienced advice.

I have the medium cage already and the 11-46, 11 speed cassette.
Do I really need a long cage to fit this cassette instead?

I'm a technician (not for bikes) but have all the bike tools I'll need to do the job. Just trying to learn more of the mechanical side so thought I'd have a go.

Much thanks!

Sandakan

Likes Bikes
It does. The amount of B screw needed to clear the 46 does impact the quality of shifting in lower gears in my experience setting up for a couple of local kids. Not dire, just not perfect.
Would a longer B screw rectify this?

moorey

call me Mia
Would a longer B screw rectify this?
No, tie stock screw is long enough. You just have to wind it in further to clear the 46, and that effects shifting on lower gears. Not sure if a goat link would help like it does on 10sp with a wide range cassette.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
No, tie stock screw is long enough. You just have to wind it in further to clear the 46, and that effects shifting on lower gears. Not sure if a goat link would help like it does on 10sp with a wide range cassette.
More to do with the huge jump from the 46 to the 37T second gear... Upper body & resulting clearance is the same as the long version. Only difference due to cage length is reduced overall gear range capacity (hence only 42T max with a 2x).

moorey

call me Mia
More to do with the huge jump from the 46 to the 37T second gear... Upper body & resulting clearance is the same as the long version. Only difference due to cage length is reduced overall gear range capacity (hence only 42T max with a 2x).
Yes, this is correct. I should have specified that it wasn’t specific to the GS, rather the 11sp shimano generally with a larger cassette.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Hi guys,
Need some real world advice from someone who has actually done this install. There's lots of conflicting opinions on the internet but would be great to hear from someone who can give me some experienced advice.

I'm a technician (not for bikes) but have all the bike tools I'll need to do the job. Just trying to learn more of the mechanical side so thought I'd have a go.

Much thanks!
Not knowing whay you're trying to achieve but guessing more climbing ability. If so you're other option is changing the front ring to 28/30t?

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
not perfect but on the new 9 sp wide range cassette they sell an adapter to just hand the derailleur lower, got one with my daughters cross bike
i can’t find a local one but used this cassette adapter long range, means u dint have to stuff the b screw so much

Last edited:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I run mid cage XTs on both 11-46 XT and 11-50 Sunraces cassette. Shift quality is the same on both, it just runs a bit noisy on the 50T cog of the Sunrace cassette because the stock screw is absolutely maxed, and the upper cage just clears the cog

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Just installed a Sunrace 11-46 with the XT medium cage and 30t oval front on a mates bike and nil issues at all at either end of the cassette.

moorey

call me Mia
Just installed a Sunrace 11-46 with the XT medium cage and 30t oval front on a mates bike and nil issues at all at either end of the cassette.
Show off.
Definitely works....but I bet if you backed the B right off to sit closer to your high gears they would shift even better (yes, temporarily sacrificing your low gears)

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I run 11-46 with a medium cage, and have no issues whatsoever.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Garbaruk 11sp 10-46 cassette I have has trouble shifting on bottom two shifts but is fine for rest of cassette with XT M8000 med-cage and M8000 shifter.

Same cassette on same bike shifts flawlessly across the range (with cleaner shifts overall) with an SLX M7100 12sp mech and M8000 shifter.

Sandakan

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys, great to hear some real life experiences with the set up. I’m going to run a Sunrace 11-46 as there wasn’t such a big jump to the 46 tooth which I reckon is a more usable range.