Wine Buff's

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Any Wine buff's out there?,what have you got and what are you planning on getting?
Do you have a cellar,wine cabinet,or just simple racking?
Do you prefer red or white?
What is the best wine you have consumed?

I myself have a 110 bottle collection at this point in time,and growing.
I collect Penfolds Grange for investment,but collect many other red wines for consuming at a later date,these include:petaluma cabernet merlot-95,98,00,02 and 04.
Penfolds Bin 389-96,98,99,02 and 04.
Penfolds St.Henri-96,98,99,01 and 02.
Leeuwin estate art series chardonnay-99,02 and 03.
Grossett Polish hill Reisling-03,05 and 07.
Turkey Flat shiraz,Henschke keyneton estate,Tyrrell's vat 1 semillon,Mount Pleasent lovedale semillon and many other one off bottles and vintages.
My Granges are-93,94,95,97,98,99,00,01 and 02.

What have you guy's got?

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
liver problems, kidney failure:p

Seriously though don't mind the odd drop of red every now & then. Prefer to drink brown brothers, never been real partial to penfolds but have had different brands like banrock station, can't think of the others i've had, maybe too drunk to remember;)

Collection wise have only one at the moment, Kingston Empiric Collection 2005, sound like a nice drop yet to try it out.

Stack Shack

Likes Dirt
We currently have a collection of over 1000 bottles.

I am not old enough to legally drink and dont like the taste of wine very much but i will always have a sip of something new.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
We currently have a collection of over 1000 bottles.

I am not old enough to legally drink and dont like the taste of wine very much but i will always have a sip of something new.
With over 1k bottles,it is an acquired taste that will come with time,sounds like there maybe a few good ones in there!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
liver problems, kidney failure:p

Seriously though don't mind the odd drop of red every now & then. Prefer to drink brown brothers, never been real partial to penfolds but have had different brands like banrock station, can't think of the others i've had, maybe too drunk to remember;)

Collection wise have only one at the moment, Kingston Empiric Collection 2005, sound like a nice drop yet to try it out.
Give the kingston some time,will improve with age!
As far as the liver goes,be like homer(it will grow back,wont it?)

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Hmmmmmm.............wine. Loves it all, especially since moving to Adelaide.

Many a weekend has been spent at McLaren Vale, the Barossa, the Clare, the hills etc. Far too much of my wages gets spent on vino.

Anyways, we just keep ours on a rack. As there is no temp. control I don't let them sit around for more than a couple of years. Mostly the stuff we buy is in the $18 - $40 range (nearly all from the cellar door), with the occasional bottle up to $100.

Like both red and white and most styles of each (though not a big fan of pinot noir).

Some of the good stuff we have is about 8 bottles of Noon's (blends and shiraz). Can only be got one day a year if you line up for ages and there are years wait to get on the waiting list. Got a few of Murray Street's top wines - looking forward to drinking them - even their $18 blend is awesome.

Best wine I've drank a bottle of: Joseph Sparkling Red (from Primo estate)
Best cellar door: Samuel's Gorge in McLaren Vale.

I also make wine with people from work. We pick a tonne of so of grapes each year and go through the whole process. Not great, but cheap and drinkable.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Hmmmmmm.............wine. Loves it all, especially since moving to Adelaide.

Many a weekend has been spent at McLaren Vale, the Barossa, the Clare, the hills etc. Far too much of my wages gets spent on vino.

Anyways, we just keep ours on a rack. As there is no temp. control I don't let them sit around for more than a couple of years. Mostly the stuff we buy is in the $18 - $40 range (nearly all from the cellar door), with the occasional bottle up to $100.

Like both red and white and most styles of each (though not a big fan of pinot noir).

Some of the good stuff we have is about 8 bottles of Noon's (blends and shiraz). Can only be got one day a year if you line up for ages and there are years wait to get on the waiting list. Got a few of Murray Street's top wines - looking forward to drinking them - even their $18 blend is awesome.

Best wine I've drank a bottle of: Joseph Sparkling Red (from Primo estate)
Best cellar door: Samuel's Gorge in McLaren Vale.

I also make wine with people from work. We pick a tonne of so of grapes each year and go through the whole process. Not great, but cheap and drinkable.
Yep i agree on the pinot,i have tried to like it,but just can't!
Noons-great stuff!
Greatest wine for my liking-Penfold's bin 389,1996!And Grange 1990!!!
As far as cellar door's go,my next trip will be for 20th wedding anniversary,to the barrossa!
Also,there are so many great australian wines in the 20-40 dollar price range,it's dizzying!

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool thread, I work for Foster's which own Penfolds, Beringer Blass & the rest so I get a decent discount on some good wines. I used to just buy quaffers but now I'm slowly building up my collection.

At the moment, my favourite red is Saltrams Mamre Brook Shiraz - in collectables I have a couple of bottles of Eighth maker and I'll be breaking one out soon for a special occasion.

Bin 389 is a nice drop, I've only tried the '99 & '02 but the Mamre brook is much better (IMO) for something at a similar price point.

Whites - I don't drink a heap, maybe a sav blanc on a hot day? The usual Marlboroughs - like oyster bay, giesen etc.

T'Gallant make some nice wines which aren't too expensive - the GF was loving their moscato until I knocked her up (cause/effect there!) and although I don't do the sparkling thing much, the moscato is an easy drinker, good for company.

Mighty impressive collection you have there anyway, hopefully I'll get there eventually...

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Bit partial to some of the nice Barossa Shiraz

Got some St Hallet Old Block, Grant Burge Meschach, Burge Holy Trinity (blend), Peter Lehmann Stonewell and Peter Lehmann Black Queen, and some Henschke Mt Edelstone.

No Hill of Grace or Grange I'm afraid. Wine collection has copped a bit of a second place since the little one arrived. And there's so much stuff that's really nice at the 15 - 35 dollar pricepoint that shelling the big bucks is hard to justify.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Cool thread, I work for Foster's which own Penfolds, Beringer Blass & the rest so I get a decent discount on some good wines. I used to just buy quaffers but now I'm slowly building up my collection.

At the moment, my favourite red is Saltrams Mamre Brook Shiraz - in collectables I have a couple of bottles of Eighth maker and I'll be breaking one out soon for a special occasion.

Bin 389 is a nice drop, I've only tried the '99 & '02 but the Mamre brook is much better (IMO) for something at a similar price point.

Whites - I don't drink a heap, maybe a sav blanc on a hot day? The usual Marlboroughs - like oyster bay, giesen etc.

T'Gallant make some nice wines which aren't too expensive - the GF was loving their moscato until I knocked her up (cause/effect there!) and although I don't do the sparkling thing much, the moscato is an easy drinker, good for company.

Mighty impressive collection you have there anyway, hopefully I'll get there eventually...
Maybe Christo you may like to try a reisling,we are starting to become world leaders in it eg:grosset polish hill,petaluma hanlin hill,leo buring dp117,these are world class at a maximum 40dollars!
Great on a hot day!
I must agree that saltram are making superb wines now,and for the long term!
If you can get your hands on a 96 bin 389,you would not regret it!

BM Epic

Eats Squid

Got some St Hallet Old Block, Grant Burge Meschach, Burge Holy Trinity (blend), Peter Lehmann Stonewell and Peter Lehmann Black Queen, and some Henschke Mt Edelstone.

No Hill of Grace or Grange I'm afraid. Wine collection has copped a bit of a second place since the little one arrived. And there's so much stuff that's really nice at the 15 - 35 dollar pricepoint that shelling the big bucks is hard to justify.
Hey fr drew,
That sounds like a good start to an impressive collection,i have taken a few years to get what i have,so it takes time!
Funny thing about a 01 mt edelstone i had,got home with some friends after being on the reds all afternoon and decided (drunkenly) to open said mt.edelstone and knowing i should be keeping it for another 10 years,well it was under developed and was like throwing away a 1 hundred dollar bill,if only i had waited 10 years,i would have appreciated it a lot more!

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt

Knocked a bottle of 2001 Peter Lehmann Stonewell over last Friday - CMI Toyota are giving them out with new car purchases. Nice drop. Not sure I'd pay RRP though.

For Barossa wines - I can't recommend Murray Street highly enough. I picked up a bottle of 2004 Benno with the winnings I got off Maxine McKew beating John Howard in Bennelong. I'll be thinking of little Johnny when I drink it - NOT!!!

Anyways, other Barossa wineries I like are Torbreck, Charles Melton, Two Hands and Turkey Flat. Don't miss 'em if you're checking out a few cellar doos. Penfolds is overrated IMO - too expensive for what you get.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Whilst I'm partial to the odd spcy shiraz or a nice pinot grigio on a summer afternoon, you really can't beat the bountiful bouquet of flavour found in amongst a bottle of Buckfast.

Truly, the king of Old World wines...

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Knocked a bottle of 2001 Peter Lehmann Stonewell over last Friday - CMI Toyota are giving them out with new car purchases. Nice drop. Not sure I'd pay RRP though.

For Barossa wines - I can't recommend Murray Street highly enough. I picked up a bottle of 2004 Benno with the winnings I got off Maxine McKew beating John Howard in Bennelong. I'll be thinking of little Johnny when I drink it - NOT!!!

Anyways, other Barossa wineries I like are Torbreck, Charles Melton, Two Hands and Turkey Flat. Don't miss 'em if you're checking out a few cellar doos. Penfolds is overrated IMO - too expensive for what you get.
Yep them three are superb wines and maker's,torbreck,expensive but very different and lovely,I got 4 turkey flat shraz's,but have only had the 02(yummy),and charles melton's nine popes is stunning!
I am waiting for my friend to open a bottle of 93 stonewell which we will open this year,i am drooling thinking about it!

antwan88

Cannon Fodder
I work for Vintage Cellars and my old man is the state manager for a wine distribution company and studying to become an MW.

In reply to Samuel's Gorge being best cellar door.. His company distributes their wine.. their Tempranillo is awesome.

Got a few bottles in my collection.. just starting out.. Magnum of 2001 Leasingham Classic Clare Shiraz.. 3L magnum of St Hallet's Blackwell Shiraz (04).. Bottle of Bremerton Old Adam Shiraz 04 (Halliday gave it 97 points.. Same as current vintage Grange.. if you remember all the hype about it BM it is up for sale ;-) ) few other bits and pieces.. Vasse Felix Heytesbury, Rymill Cellar reserve Cabernet...

Also Dad has a pretty awesome collection.

DarrenHunt

Likes Dirt
We (dad) has a fine collection of reds about 80ish dozen.
I'm terrible with names, especially of wines but i can certainly appreciate a great drop.
My faves seem to be from the smaller places.
I like various wines from cullens and my fave is a few from a little place named Pierro

My year was '87 so fittingly on my 18th we opened an '87 Henschke Hill of Grace and it was undrinkable... so we opened a '90 (my brothers year)... absolutely awesome!