Wiseman ferry dirtjumps

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hay guys,

I have heard that Hornsby council have approved and built some dirtjumps at wisemans ferry, just wondering of anyone has been out there or if anyone has any photos or videos from there yet?

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Hay guys,

I have heard that Hornsby council have approved and built some dirtjumps at wisemans ferry, just wondering of anyone has been out there or if anyone has any photos or videos from there yet?
Wtf? What a suprise. Who did you hear this from??? I would be so keen on hitting up some dj's that are only an hour away from me!

ogjon

Likes Dirt
they're in one of the old quarries on the southern side of the river not far from the XC trails the council made, I wouldn't expect them to be very good being built by the council, the XC trails they built imho suck

at least its a step in the right direction. any recognition of a need for dirt jump spots is good news for us, we just have to suggest more advanced lines to the council to suit the more experienced riders needs, sort of whats going on in manly council at the moment.

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I thought they were meant to be built on the large grass area just near the ferry, also they were approved by council but built by a trail building company, i believe the owner of the company was behind most of the building of Mt Annan xc trail

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
at least its a step in the right direction. any recognition of a need for dirt jump spots is good news for us, we just have to suggest more advanced lines to the council to suit the more experienced riders needs, sort of whats going on in manly council at the moment.
true but this may not happen until we get stuff for the beginners in dirtjumping, the one thing i would say council could have an issue with is the large gaps between the kicker and lander as they may see this a saftey issue.

anything we the mountain bike comunity can get is a step the right direction.

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wtf? What a suprise. Who did you hear this from??? I would be so keen on hitting up some dj's that are only an hour away from me!
to answer your questions i read it in a email i received from SNORC (Northern Sydney Off Road Club) they are the ones behind all the work regarding the Hornsby Shire Council area trail work have a look at their website and join up to give them support

yeah i wouldnt expect it to happen overnight, councils seem to dislike nice big jumps, but they wont know theres a need for advanced lines unless we tell them that theres more advanced riders in need of a legal dirt jump facility.

small spots are good for us though, the more kids and beginners we can get on the bikes, the better.

hornsby council seem to be ok building nice skateparks though (thornleigh isnt exactly a beginner friendly park) so id say the chances of it happening in a few years are good.

Last edited:

FINX74

Likes Dirt
they're built.

Hey guys,
The jumps are completed. There was still some finishing to do with landscaping I believe but I know Brett from 'Dirtz' likes to do this after a bit of use to see where riders hang out and use the facility. They are beginner to intermediate level I believe and yes its behind the tennis courts down there.
The Montview DJ's will be a larger facility and Brett is waiting on dirt for these. So shouldn't be far away. It's taken a while and yes like skate parks that started to go in all those years ago newer facilities "in time" will allow for more advanced stuff it's a start and continuation of this stuff needs everyones support - so like James said get onto SNORC and help out please.:)
Adrian.

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sweet, will head down there next week with the camera and get some footage, as well as ride them. Can't wait

Last edited:

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
The jumps are completed. There was still some finishing to do with landscaping I believe but I know Brett from 'Dirtz' likes to do this after a bit of use to see where riders hang out and use the facility. They are beginner to intermediate level I believe and yes its behind the tennis courts down there.
Where exactly? Could you please direct me? I haven't been there before (been to Del Rio many times before) and would be keen on paying a visit! Surely someone on here has got some photos of the place or something?

Just joined SNORC :)

Last edited:

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where exactly? Could you please direct me? I haven't been there before (been to Del Rio many times before) and would be keen on paying a visit! Surely someone on here has got some photos of the place or something?

Just joined SNORC :)
I'm going to head out the Tuesday after motherday and will get some photos and videos

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might have to come for a play on Saturday....

Is this a "no dig no ride" kind of facility, or can I leave the shovel and rake at home?

unitec

Likes Dirt
Gaps

true but this may not happen until we get stuff for the beginners in dirtjumping, the one thing i would say council could have an issue with is the large gaps between the kicker and lander as they may see this a saftey issue.
Undoing this misconception that gaps are dangerous is a tough battle that we need all riders education & support to win.
Many people don't realize that the most dangerous spot on any jump is at the bottom of the lander not the gap. In fact the gap is a safety feature that:-
a) Provides a place for a rider to eject his bike into when bailing so he doesn't land on it.
b) Keeps beginner riders from attempting a jump that will hurt them.
Very small jumps are good to have as tables however but once you get over a certain height it is far too dangerous IMO to be sending noobs over them.

unitec

Likes Dirt
just ride - do not change anything there. Write into council for feedback or changes.
Ha Ha Ha !!!.......And the council will send a team of dirt jump experts to groom the track before you ride.
Better get out there for a ride before the place falls a part due to neglect.

^i agree with everything he said. sadly dirt jumps dont fix themselves, look at what happened to wahroonga pumptrack, when it opened it was dialled, almost like riding on concrete, and now its got rocks sticking out, cracks and chips in all the rollers, and its super rough. without proper maintenance the jumps will be unridable in weeks.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^i agree with everything he said. sadly dirt jumps dont fix themselves, look at what happened to wahroonga pumptrack, when it opened it was dialled, almost like riding on concrete, and now its got rocks sticking out, cracks and chips in all the rollers, and its super rough. without proper maintenance the jumps will be unridable in weeks.

On the bright side, there are some projects underway that should make maintaining officially-sanctioned dirt facilities much less of a hassle. More shovels, less red tape. More on that later...