Wisemans - Great North Road Sunday 18 May

Chrispy

Likes Bikes
I'm going a full day ride from Wisemans ferry - you're welcome to come - meet at the ferry carpark:

Type of Ride: Epic
Date & Time: Sunday 18 May, meet 8.00AM for 8.20AMdeparture.
Where: Great Old North Road
Meet Location: Wisemans Ferry, carpark next to the ferry stop, on the kiosk side.
Distance & Duration: 60-90 Ks ? As far as we get in 7-8 hours
Common terrain type: Fire trails, from smooth to very rough.
Skill Level Required: Medium/High
Fitness level required: Medium
Ride Leader Name & Contact Details: Chris 0428 666 363

finmtb

Likes Bikes
I AM THERE...!!!!!

I have been wanting to do this ride for a while now and haven't got round to it.

finmtb

Likes Bikes
I AM NOT THERE...!!!

Was full of excitement, and then not. Have other plans, y'all have a good day.

Baggs

Squid
G'day guys,
I thought it would be good to save space by tacking a question on to this thread, seeing as I haven't ridden it myself...
---------------------------
Who has done the whole of the Great North Road, i dont just mean to Western Commission Road i mean past the Buddhist retreat and the rest of the 48kms to Mogo Camp. Then return along the dirt road back via St Albans pub! And back to Wiseman's Ferry. Like to know if its overgrown or its a good single trail, past the Buddhist retreat. Intend to do it regardless, just like to know what ill face or if i take a GPS.

This is definitely on my to do list before the Highland Fling 110kms in November
Regards,
Darrell Wilcock
---------------------------

Cheers,
Baggs

johnD

Squid
great north road is rough fire road for most of its length- aprox 40km i think. the road back has a great downhill then is pretty much flat for the trip back to st albans and wisemans.
Best idea is to stop at the pub and get the whippet to do the last 20km to the ferry to get a car for the rest of the group. ive done both options and staying at the pub is a good one.
dont eat there though unless you can stand paying 30bucks for a steak and waiting 45mins for it. there is a cafe up to the left (away from the river).
The only issues you would have on GNR are trees, there can be a few down at times, and you are a long way out if you have a terminal mech problem. so be prepared.
There are a few creeks thaat are safe to drink from so running out of water shouldnt be prob at this time of year.
There is an exit fire road- cant remember its name 2/3 way into GNR. it takes you back to st albans rd 5km from pub but it is very up and down. wasnt nice on a single speed. wouldnt be nice on a geary either. I think the dirworks100 goes along this one. yeck.
have fun