With or without gloves when riding? What is your preference?

motabikeboy

Likes Bikes
Alll the time when i watch Pro's in mountain biking films such as life cycles, new world disorder or kranked. The riders just about never wear gloves?
and even in world cup racers i have seen people like sam hill not wearing gloves? its just a small thing that i curious about and willing to ask.
But is there a preference that some of you guys have to ride with or without gloves?

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
never used to wear gloves until one of the guys i ride with came off and ended up with sticthes in his palm. Now its always gloves on for me !

Warg

Squid
I get sweaty palms so gloves stop me from eating more dirt/rocks/handlebars than I already do.

jonny the boy

Likes Dirt
Its always nice to have some skin left on your hands after a crash.
i tend to put my hands out when i come off so they do help, but ive got a glass knuckle so the ones with the carbon shield are pretty handy(excuse the pun). each to their own i guess...

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
I wear gloves - gives me even more grip AND gives me more confidence when I am single finger breaking (I dont want slippage due to perspiring with 1 finger contact on brake lever).

That and, my day job and lifestyle will get severely impacted if I hurt my hands...

shakes

Likes Dirt
wanking with a scabby meaty paw sux donkey dicks

Seriously I get sweaty as hands, to the point after 10minutes I cant hold the grips. Gloves 100% of the time for me!

driftking

Wheel size expert
Gloves for sure.
They help reduce hand injuries in crashes, they also guard against sticks and trees when riding tight trails or getting right on the outside.(although minor worth mentioning)
The grip factor is dependent on sweat for me, I have just as much grip without gloves when my hands are dry but as soon as I start sweating and my hands and grips get sweaty all grip gets lost and gloves prevent this.
There is the weather side of this with gloves providing more protection from the elements and cold. There could be some merit to the idea that gloves may help prevent strain in the hands by keeping them warmer in certain situations.

Last edited:

Patchers

Likes Bikes
I'd rate my gloves as only just behind my helmet in terms of essential safety equipment. Maybe i'm a wuss but i practically never hit trails without them.

tomi_g

Likes Bikes
Gloves 100% of the time for me! Just as using rubber grips is widely accepted to be superior to hanging onto bare metal bars, gloves are an integral part of riding for me.

They allow me to hang on more securely than bare hands and also eliminate the problem of my sweaty/wet hands slipping after 1 min of riding.

I too have wondered how the hell some people ride without gloves.

coxydave

Cannon Fodder
Injury Prevention

I have crashed a bmx without gloves and ripped my palms to shreds. When I asked the doctor about getting the dirt and small rocks out of the palm he suggested a local anesthetic and a scrubbing brush. I ALWAYS wear gloves now.