Wollongong MTB Club lose use of Appin XC Track.

Wynner

Likes Bikes
The Wollongong Mountain Bike Club was formally advised this week of the outcome of the latest Board Meeting of the Tharawal Land Council. The news was not good. The Council has informed us that they will not allow us to use their land for Mountain Biking. This follows weeks of lobbying and attempts to make presentations to the Council. In the end the outcome rested on a single letter that we were allowed to present putting forward our case.
This is a devastating result and one that will affect hundreds of people from the Mountain Biking Community.
The Land Council stated when asked for the reasoning behind their decision....

“This decision was reached with concerns as to the impact on the environment of the land and impact on the cultural heritage of the land.”

When asked whether this affected all bike riding on the land?

“It is private land, therefore, like anyone else's private property, any access without authorisation is considered trespassing.”

The Wollongong Mountain Bike Club will continue to lobby for access to the land in an attempt to persuade the Council that MTB is not only a positive healthy pursuit, but that in can be done in a sustainable and environmentally friendly fashion. The benefits of MTB in the area spread well beyond just the physical benefit to the participants, but the presence of MTB’ers in the area has also reduced the impact of motor bikes, 4 wheel drives, dumping and other less desirable pursuits that have carried on in the area prior to WMBC setting up a track there.

Unfortunately they may be mistaking us for Motor bikes or Four Wheel drives, both of which have caused significant damage in this and other areas.

We, as Mountain Bikers embrace the natural and unspoilt settings that we ride in. Our aim is to retain the environmental and cultural value of the land.

Should anyone have connections or influence with the Land Council please don’t hesitate to make contact with them to try and convince them of our motives.
Any contact with the Council must be made in a civil and constructive manner in order to benefit the MTB cause.
Copies of any correspondence sent to the Council should be copied to Wollongong MTB club to help our lobbying efforts.

We are now searching for a suitable site to build another track. Any suggestions here would be helpful..................

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You could try sending them a letter saying they have their head's up their arses but they wouldn't bother going past the formalities unless you enclosed a cash incentive. Stupid primitive fools. Don't vote for them.
For the record: How did the trail come to exist on private land? Is it private land owned by an individual or is it owned by a government entity?

Wynner

Likes Bikes
Comments

Please remember that this is a public forum and the comments that you make can be viewed by all. We know everyone is extremely disappointed but let’s keep it clean and not say anything that will further jepardise the club moving forward.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Wynner, was your post was just to advise people not to ride this trail or was it to appear in some way responsible in the eyes of the land owners in the hope of someday regaining access to the site? It appears as though their decision is final and no amount of petitioning or lobbying will change their stance.
Did you ever have legal access to use this site or has it been an "under the radar" thing?

willsy01

Eats Squid
My understanding is that there was an informal arrangement to use the land. There have been efforts underway in the recent past to make the whole setup more official but it turns out the recently departed CEO of the land council was a snake and hadn't put forward any of the proposals to the board. He was on the take more or less.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Commiserations and Thanks

My Commiserations to all involved in building, maintaining and negotiating this track over the years. Thanks for all you've done: a great fun 'real mountain-bikers' track. I had many a fun race and trail ride there (scared myself more than a few times as well!) in a great piece of bush.

Unfortunately if we have lost it for good (it looks that for now given the events of the last few months) we have lost something a bit unique to the Sydney basin.

I hate being lumped in with the moto's (if that is the case) ... :(

Please remember that this is a public forum and the comments that you make can be viewed by all. We know everyone is extremely disappointed but let’s keep it clean and not say anything that will further jepardise the club moving forward.
I havr to jump in on this one.. I can say with experience that BOTH wollongong and shellharbour have their heads in their ass when it comes to anything mtb.. And I hope they read this..

You guys never had a chance.. i agree with Dozer, tell them how it is.. then get the newspapers on board , they'll love this thing..

Its trully sad, considering the hard work by others currently paying off around the country to legitmize and legalise mountain bike activities and trail access and this particular council still give the retoric of environmental sustainability..

stick it to them...

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's not Wollongong council. Appin falls under Wollondilly Shire Councils area of management. This particular piece of land is held by the Tharawal Local Aboriginal Land Council.

It is indeed a very sad time for the Wollongong MTB Club, and also the Wollondilly Trailblazers MTB Club.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Ahhh Australia - the land which use to be free.......and have now gone so far down the legislated and beareaucratic path we've forgotten what freedom, recreation and wholesome activty means

Australia - the nanny country.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Ahhh Australia - the land which use to be free.......and have now gone so far down the legislated and beareaucratic path we've forgotten what freedom, recreation and wholesome activty means

Australia - the nanny country.
Perhaps the best post on Rotorburn since the bowlo days. So true.

Dazzo

Likes Dirt
Its also a shame for the local businesses, they are going to lose the couple of dozen riders each weekend and the hundreds of riders in town when a major event was held. I would always visit Appin early in the morning and then head on over to Mt Annan after 10am once the gardens were open, those two trails are so different, it was great to have a little pocket of variety so close together.

rotorub

Likes Dirt
It's not Wollongong council. Appin falls under Wollondilly Shire Councils area of management. This particular piece of land is held by the Tharawal Local Aboriginal Land Council.

It is indeed a very sad time for the Wollongong MTB Club, and also the Wollondilly Trailblazers MTB Club.
Good to highlight the correction. However Wollongong council is not much better!

Wollongong council and other such Jurisdictions are not completely innocent in this process. Why was Wollongong MTB (WMTB) Club home track located outside Wollongong? because they were never allowed to legaly have one in Wollongong!

WMTB clubs legally approved trail should have been located on some stretch of the escarpment that runs along the Illawarra coastline!
Those organisations that have Jurisdiction over the escarpment and bush locations wont come to the party

i.e. Wollongong/Shellharbour councils/ The water Board (Sydney Water) the mining companies, National parks etc.

Wollongong/Shellharbour councils need to take the lead of Sutherland shire council with the recent approval of the Menai/Lucus hights trail network!

Brings in tourism creates jobs etc.

Wollongong really needs this with the high rates of unemployment it has especially with the youth!