Wollongong People- Heads up

McPete

Likes Dirt
Folks,
I went for a ride up Bally Track today.
On my way in I passed a National Parks Ranger, who said I was right to go up as far as the bottom of the mine, but above that is national park.
I didn't go up any further than the opening of the best trail, but two rangers in a Landcruiser Ute, an excavator and a truck from Dapto Sand and Soils were just up from the trailhead.

In short, there's something going on up there, there are rangers about, so if you're planning a Broker's to Bally Run, you may want to hold off a while.

dh1

Likes Dirt
yea memeber that time me and matt took you down brokers pete? and we said they had cleared heaps, well they are still going. matt thinks its some residental stuff but i dunno. at least he didnt care about the dh tracks we usually ride so thats alrite and i can understand hy he doesnt want us goin up anywhere if there is work goin on.
hope you had a good ride

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Brokers to Bally should be alright, providing you stick to fire roads which you can legally ride in National Parks. They're pretty fun still, long and steep all the way from Mt. Ousley truckstop.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Brokers to Bally should be alright, providing you stick to fire roads which you can legally ride in National Parks. They're pretty fun still, long and steep all the way from Mt. Ousley truckstop.
You sure it's legal there?
Isn't it only approved areas ie the National Park?

dh1

Likes Dirt
i don't think you can ride them now because they were working on the roads and clearing right around them up when i last went down

LV10

Likes Bikes
Probably clearing the roads so they meet requirements for the upcoming fire-season. That's why some of the lower escarpment trail is now so smooth you can ride a road bike on it.

Be nice if they spent time fixing the drainage on the fire roads instead, then maybe they wouldn't wash out so badly and need clearing. ;)

dh1

Likes Dirt
last time i saw they actually dug right along the fire rides to put in drainage pipes not sure if it has been done yet though

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
You can ride on any fire trail east of the f6 between ousley and bulli pass the corimal mine and tarawanna mine access is illegal but they dont police it if a ranger hassles you and your on a fire road i think he cant do crap unless your coming off a single track

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
ive done brokers area recently and its polished fire rd both ways up the rixons pass with a concrete hair pin in place and with mini water bars its fun back down

McPete

Likes Dirt
Do we think it'll be just a big ol' mud puddle up there now after all this rain? I know there were a few pretty nasty bogs on Rickson's Pass last time I went up...

morgo_mpx

Likes Dirt
u should be able to ride around brokers legally.
I was talkin to my mates dad who is on dirt bikes duty up there for the police and he said push bikes are alloud to ride there but motos arnt.
i dont know what the rangers are huffing but its legal.

DIRT ROCKS N TREES

Likes Bikes
the half way track that runs along from the white gate at the back of wonona to tarrawanna mine is all colliery owned but i been doing it for more than 35 years and never had a prob was chased on motos in the early days but mountain bikes horses walkers are all legal on fire roads only all around that area and up on top as well as long as you dont cross the freeway but i do :D

Maris

Likes Dirt
Dont know why they'd say the singletrack around the corrimal mine is ok when thats private land and the fire road is illegal as thats the public land. Seems to me it should be the other way round, i reckon rangers and bhp guys would have different opinions about this ;)

But also with the fire trails around that area, some parts are recreational area (from the truck stop and from the bulli pass entrance to a little past the bottom of rixons pass). But beyond that its actually private land owned by bhp, there used to be a closed gate and sign but that's been gone for a while now. Ive been riding up there for the last 10 or so years and have never had a problem so i wouldnt worry. Just dont go onto the fire roads around the dam across the highway, then you can get in some deep shit and they even have surveillance at some entry points.

Also, about what they're doing up there..The fire roads are getting cleared/fixed up for better access for trucks etc for the mines and powerlines/radio tower repairs etc, which is what one of the guys working up there has told me. Ive also heard they've been surveying the old corrimal mine area for gas or something, might get busy up there again but heres to hoping it doesnt. :confused:

LV10

Likes Bikes
NPWS has been given funds by the Rural Fire Service to maintain road conditions for emergency access in case of bushfires. This a statewide program. The mine has already done a lot of the road that falls under their care (from above Corrimal mine - Rixon's Pass).

That being said if it wasn't for the cash injection little would probably be done to maintain these roads. The end result would be the fire road becoming a "dormant" trail (as told to me by a NPWS worker) - although I don't the ramifications of that classification. Anyone help on that one?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
The end result would be the fire road becoming a "dormant" trail (as told to me by a NPWS worker) - although I don't the ramifications of that classification. Anyone help on that one?
You can legally ride bikes on formed roads (inc fire roads) in National Parks. A dormant classification may affect this. Otherwise it may just relate to the NPWS responsibility to maintain the road to a certain standard.

istepinyards

Likes Bikes
Im in Kiama next week with my xc bike.
Is the trail fromthe truck stop at the top of Mt ousely on the eastern side up to Brokers nose and beyond legal to ride and is there a specific loop which will be fun?
Any takers for xc rides in December for wollongong and the highlands?

McPete

Likes Dirt
Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure the run along the top of the escarpment is water board and sections of Integral Energy easements. The waterboard rangers won't be pleased to find you, but I doubt Integral crews can take any action against you.

LV10

Likes Bikes
Don't quote me on this, but I'm fairly sure the run along the top of the escarpment is water board and sections of Integral Energy easements. The waterboard rangers won't be pleased to find you, but I doubt Integral crews can take any action against you.
The water board land is on the western side of the F6 Freeway - so north of Mt Keira you are sweet. If you are referring to the Robertson - Kembla run (south) on the escarpment that is water catchment area, risky to ride (big fines) and not the area this thread is about.

i can agree with this when races were help at kiera the water board showed up but do not chase you you so in my opinion keep peddling and dont stop