NSW Wollongong Trails Advocacy

IMOS

Squid
you guys should get in contact with the wollongong mtb club , and ask about the dh track at appin that was "suppossed" to be starting a build day, then suddenly wasn't...

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?178197-DH-Trail-at-Appin-for-Illawarra-Riders&highlight=appin+dh

I would like to know what happend here....
I f I may enlighten all the worthy correspondents on this thread in regard to the planned build day at Appin. Unless you have had experience in mobilising a team of volunteers it's difficult to appreciate the frustration in organising any trail work. Not so much in gathering the equipment which is the easy part, but actually getting someone to wield the equipment, very few people are interested in donating their time in order to benefit themselves and their colleagues, it's always the same people that present themselves to such tasks time and again. Once the work has been done stand back,(or risk injury) and wait for the rush to use the newly built trail, many of whom weren't present during the construction.
This thread illustrates clearly the lack of unity in the DH community in particular, many people willing to criticise but few williing to act. In defence of that statement I must add that there are many willing and able young riders doing great work which needs to be encouraged.Particularly at Possums where every school holiday period a few dedicated, mid to late, teenagers are digging away and doing admirable work, especially after many of the wooden structures were destroyed, quite inspirational. However, these same youngsters perhaps don't have the means to travel all the way to Appin and most adults "CBF'd".
If trail access and legality is the issue, as has been put earlier, unity and passion are the keys rather than sniping at each other on threads like this.
BTW, the property on which much of the "Holey" trail is built is and has been for some time, up for sale. WMBC have enquired but don't have the requisite $1M+ to purchase the land. Also up for sale is much of the land on which "Possums" is built, the price is subject to tender. WMBC have also approached the owners of the land surrounding "Redsands" also with a view to legitimising it's use. However, due to the fact the advocates themselves have to fund housing, clothing and food etc, for themselves and their families necessitating some form of paid employ, time to devote to this task is limited.
Many hands make light work.

bishi2516

Likes Dirt
I think that your first target should be bulli, it is used very frequently by riders from Sydney, it is slowly being bulldozed and i would hate to lose that track seeing as its my local and it is one of very phew tracks in gong that has everything that you could ask for in a downhill track and it has a lot of potential to be an A grade track..:)

zanus

Likes Dirt
well I am only saying for Keira
its private land they don't care
yesterday we where riding and the land owners came past and started talking to us
and the only people that care about us riding Keira is the rangers but they only say do you this is private land
so really yes its better to have it on a peice of paper but that means there will be more people riding it and it will end up become bad and boring
and once some one dies or gets seriously injured they will close it for ever.

thats my 2c
Keira is practically a highway for riders. I don't believe there could be more people to ride keira.

red

Likes Dirt
Keira is practically a highway for riders. I don't believe there could be more people to ride keira.
same here zanus, i was there 1 day wen it was raining and there was like 12 riders, thats like a week of people at possums

I f I may enlighten all the worthy correspondents on this thread in regard to the planned build day at Appin. Unless you have had experience in mobilising a team of volunteers it's difficult to appreciate the frustration in organising any trail work. Not so much in gathering the equipment which is the easy part, but actually getting someone to wield the equipment, very few people are interested in donating their time in order to benefit themselves and their colleagues, it's always the same people that present themselves to such tasks time and again. Once the work has been done stand back,(or risk injury) and wait for the rush to use the newly built trail, many of whom weren't present during the construction.
This thread illustrates clearly the lack of unity in the DH community in particular, many people willing to criticise but few williing to act. In defence of that statement I must add that there are many willing and able young riders doing great work which needs to be encouraged.Particularly at Possums where every school holiday period a few dedicated, mid to late, teenagers are digging away and doing admirable work, especially after many of the wooden structures were destroyed, quite inspirational. However, these same youngsters perhaps don't have the means to travel all the way to Appin and most adults "CBF'd".
so is there a build day planned for appin ?? please enlighten us..

IMOS

Squid
i can see this is going no where fast..

when a build day is planned

i would love to help

nick
I have made enquiries about the proposed track with the WMBC committee this morning and hope to get some response soon.
I suspect many people are away during this time, so we'll need to be patient.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
yes
Its like a high way some times.
But there already is a track so why will we have a building day??
To mantain and fix it up, Keira, well, the Holy Trail, is in shite condition to say the least.
It used to be so good back when I started out a couple of years ago, and hardly anyone was up there, I would be lucky to see another guy or two every time, and they would only be XC riders.

So to answer your question, to fix up a track that's getting dangerous and shite.
Oh, and if anything needs to be done, it's to get ride of those metal posts on Greg's, where the second chute is. A little wooden bridge used to come of them. I have seen a few people get owned, my mate even broke his wrist on them.

zen zen

Likes Dirt
To mantain and fix it up, Keira, well, the Holy Trail, is in shite condition to say the least.
It used to be so good back when I started out a couple of years ago, and hardly anyone was up there, I would be lucky to see another guy or two every time, and they would only be XC riders.

So to answer your question, to fix up a track that's getting dangerous and shite.
Oh, and if anything needs to be done, it's to get ride of those metal posts on Greg's, where the second chute is. A little wooden bridge used to come of them. I have seen a few people get owned, my mate even broke his wrist on them.
I would have to agree with the gregs part, myself and friends have been injured by that part. I have personally snapped my wrist there.

red

Likes Dirt
I would have to agree with the gregs part, myself and friends have been injured by that part. I have personally snapped my wrist there.
zen zen that bit you crashed on is madd it dose not need fixing up
but some bits a little yes