Woman MTBer missing in Yengo NP

stirk

Burner
Sad news, hope she is found safe.

Carry a lighter people, that way you can stay warm if lost in the bush for a night, assuming you are well enough to light a fire.

In a previous life I used to do a lot of canyoning in the Blue Mountains.

never forget when we went through claustral canyon, we were the first group that day and once we exited the canyon and it "opens out" to the creek there were three young dudes there,. They were told by a mate that you could do the canyon in about three hours return, so they dropped in sans wetties and food at about 2pm the previous day. Exited the canyon in the dark, and couldn't find the exit.

We pointed them to the exit, about 200ms down stream and off they went. They were ok, it was summer but canyons can be cold places even on the hottest day, we didn't ask them how they kept warm.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Just saw another article that says she is an experienced mountain biker - not an area that I know for trails, and strava doesn't turn much up- hopefully she is just lost, I would hope you can survive a night in low single digit temperatures ok.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
She's now been found and is ok, about 1130am today. No further news on injuries or condition.
More detailed info here:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...go-national-park/story-fngr8h0p-1227367906650

A mountain bike rider who went missing overnight in Hunter Valley national parkland has been found alive.

After a cold night huddled in a cave 54-year-old mountain biker Natalie Donoghue has been found.

Inspector Nigel Webber said officers on trail bikes found Natalie Donoghue, of Foresters Beach, in dense bushland shortly before midday.

“They’ve done a remarkable job,” he said.

Mrs Donoghue was airlifted out of Yengo National Park and has been reunited with family at Bucketty Rural Fire Station.

Westpac Rescue helicopter pilot John Klopper said she told them she became lost on one of the bike trails before finding shelter in a cave overnight.

He said she was suffering mild hypothermia but otherwise fine.

Rescuers said she was more worried about her family “getting the shits with her”

redbruce

Eats Squid
Sad news, hope she is found safe.

Carry a lighter people, that way you can stay warm if lost in the bush for a night, assuming you are well enough to light a fire.
Inspector Nigel Webber said the active woman was training for a 700km mountain bike ride but “unfortunately” did not bring warm clothes or other supplies because she was not planning to spend the night.

“We believe conditions dropped to around four degrees so as you can imagine it would have been quite harsh out there,” he said.

A reminder that riding solo requires a bit more risk management. No one goes out on a day ride necessarily expecting to "spend the night", but it can and does happen so she should have carried some gear (at least; extra clothes, GPS/map,compass, matches, spare food) as contingency.

A bit surprising given background experience:
“She’s very physical, she’s a midwife at Gosford Hospital, she loves that work.

“She’s worked with the life savers at the North Avoca club I think her two children have been involved and Brett her husband has been involved with life saving so they’re a very active family.”

We can all overestimate ourselves (and/or underestimate the risk) at times. Thankfully a good result this time.

Last edited:

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Inspector Nigel Webber said the active woman was training for a 700km mountain bike ride but “unfortunately” did not bring warm clothes or other supplies because she was not planning to spend the night.

“We believe conditions dropped to around four degrees so as you can imagine it would have been quite harsh out there,” he said.

A reminder that riding solo requires a bit more risk management. No one goes out on a day ride necessarily expecting to "spend the night", but it can and does happen so she should have carried some gear (at least; extra clothes, GPS/map,compass, matches, spare food) as contingency.

A bit surprising given background experience:
“She’s very physical, she’s a midwife at Gosford Hospital, she loves that work.

“She’s worked with the life savers at the North Avoca club I think her two children have been involved and Brett her husband has been involved with life saving so they’re a very active family.”

We can all overestimate ourselves at times.
Either blue tick mobile phone( T55 with external antenna what I use), Spot or EPIRB and basic first aid kit when riding alone.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Good news

From the implication of that report, she didn't have a GPS ? That's one that my gadget filled life always has. Actually a friend of mine managed to get pretty seriously lost on a moto the other weekend and also didn't carry a GPS.

who knows how it happened, but it might be about time I looked into the spot, PLB, sat phone more seriously.

My new bike will only accommodate a 500ml water bottle, given that I drink like a mofo when riding I'm going back to a hydration pack. All the bladders in my packs have carked it so perhaps I'll look at a camelbak with a bit of storage so I can carry some first aid bibs n bobs and some food.

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Good news

From the implication of that report, she didn't have a GPS ? That's one that my gadget filled life always has. Actually a friend of mine managed to get pretty seriously lost on a moto the other weekend and also didn't carry a GPS.

who knows how it happened, but it might be about time I looked into the spot, PLB, sat phone more seriously.
A GPS is only going to keep you on track or help to get you back on track it ain't going to call for help when you have injured yourself. A couple of weeks ago i got lost 3 times in one day while I had a GPS with me and it sure helped to get me back on track I probably wasted an hour or so finding my way back to the track it was good I could contact the people I let know where I was going that I'm going to be back latter than my original ETA with out them fretting or worse.

will2

Likes Dirt
All this talk of GPS, what function do you actually want and how does it assist? If you need coordinates, wouldn't a phone do the trick?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
All this talk of GPS, what function do you actually want and how does it assist? If you need coordinates, wouldn't a phone do the trick?
For me, it's an 810 that has maps - one, you can follow your own trail back home, and 2 it will show on a map where the fire trails are .

Phone works great when you have data and phone coverage - not so good when out of mobile range, which is exactly like Bucketty - no phone coverage there!

stirk

Burner
It's really great she still breathing... woulda had the fam all stressed for sure.
Apparently she was more worried about her family having the shits with her than anything else.

Your sarcasm is beautiful.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
GPS on phone will still work out of mobile range as the positioning info is obtained from satelites. AGPS wont work out of range.

will2

Likes Dirt
For me, it's an 810 that has maps - one, you can follow your own trail back home, and 2 it will show on a map where the fire trails are .

Phone works great when you have data and phone coverage - not so good when out of mobile range, which is exactly like Bucketty - no phone coverage there!
Aye, Nokia Lumia wins out again. No need for mobile phone coverage to use maps, all you need is the satellites; unlike the other two.

I hear you though, If I was going into places I didn't know I would definitely be carrying GPS, $100 for a Garmin which easy covers it, cheap insurance I reckon.