Wombat track status

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
Ok, so its finally rained again. Thank god that dust was really pissing me off.

With over 100mm of rain in the last 2 days the track is in great condition..........................................................................................................................................if you bring a canoe or small boat.

Anyone been up Wombat way recently to provide a trail condition report? Me and my buddies are thinking of a patriotic smashfest on Australia Day...

fergo

Likes Dirt
I rode it on Sat and was impressed how well the condition was. The rain mentioned in the previous post by sidetrack ended up as runoff since the track was dusty dry before.

Most of the track was fast and dry with probably 10-20 puddles or soft spots. Please remember to ride through them to reduce the track damage and prevent the wet section spreading.

Awesome, thanks for that. Hopefully a few days of sunshine will improve them even more.

Given the last 6 months of rain in Vic, I'm pretty sensitive to treading lightly and not wanting to ruin the trails I love, hence the reason for asking.

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
I'm so excited ...

Given the Yarra Trails and Upper Beaconsfield are bone dry I'm expecting Wombat to be pretty dry too (except perhaps the gullies)

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
Even with a little overnight rain the trails were mint. A few random puddles (which we rolled through) and beautiful sticky / slick / rooty wombat goodness. We loved the new early sections too.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
very nice

Rode there today and it was great. A few puddles l was able to clear (runoff) but just rode through them - no problems. The new loop - is that the one which goes off to the right about a km in after the little Bridge /ramp/drop off and at the top of the first small climb. It goes for around 4 kms and returns to the top of that same pinch. I am sure it is - it is really good - well done folks. What is its name and am l riding it in the right direction?
Cheers
JD

fergo

Likes Dirt
The new loop - is that the one which goes off to the right about a km in after the little Bridge /ramp/drop off and at the top of the first small climb. It goes for around 4 kms and returns to the top of that same pinch. I am sure it is - it is really good - well done folks. What is its name and am l riding it in the right direction?
Cheers
JD
Hi John, you must have really had your eyes peeled, esp since the main track goes straight at the top of that pinch!! We are still debating over the direction for ths tracks. Both were made to start at the pinch and finish at the road. If you started by going left off the main track, you're going the more popular way. We haven't named it as it is supposed to be part of the main loop.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Wombat Track realignment

Would be interested to hear from others, esp those who did the Dirtworks 100km race what they thought of the direction of the new loops.

The race went left at the top of the pinch (see post above) onto the West Loop and then when it reached the main track, turned right and went backwards (downhill) on the main loop until the start of the East Loop. This new loop then returns you to the road and what we call "The Triangle". It was the same also for the Inter Winter race last year.

Another option is to do the West Loop and then cross the main trail and continue onto the East loop in reverse. When you reached the main trail, you continue as normal up to the road and beyond.

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
Quest for the Vanilla Slice

Drove down early this morning from Castlemaine for a lap of the Wombat, before the day heated up. Track is in great condition, fast and smooth, only a handful of damp spots.

I hadn't ridden the Wombat since Nov 2009, really enjoyed it today. Props to the trail crew!

And most importantly vanilla slice at Bourkies is still some of the best going :)

wombat_track_sml.jpg

Last edited:

wolfjjj

Likes Dirt
Rode the wombat loop the last two weekends and it's in great condition. There were one or two small puddles but the rest was super dry and so so much fun.

The ride over there from Woodend was a bit wetter but you could still ride around the puddles.

Nath8

Likes Dirt
Went out to Wombat for the first time on Sunday. Really enjoyed the trails. Was shown around by a great group of guys. I think there was 14 of us.
There was a few puddles here and there, but still quite dry considering all the rain we've had!! It's a desert compared to Lysty at the moment.
Rigid 29er went well out there too!

Stons

Likes Dirt
I went out tonight and did a quick loop, including the new realignment. After doing the DW I decided tonight to turn right at the pinch follow it to the 'triangle', ride over the main loop and follow the west loop (I think) back to the pinch then jumped back on the main trail back up to the road.

However you ride it, I think its fantastic. Great job to the guys who built those trails. The rest of the main loop was a little puddly, nothing too bad at all though.