Wombat Woodend track status

Old C

Likes Bikes
One of the most enjoyable rides I have ever done was at Wombat when it was wet! Be prepared and all will be fun. BTW, don't ask Woodend bike shop, they are very biased and will tell you it rides well no matter what the conditions.

Enjoy!

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
One of the most enjoyable rides I have ever done was at Wombat when it was wet! Be prepared and all will be fun. BTW, don't ask Woodend bike shop, they are very biased and will tell you it rides well no matter what the conditions.

Enjoy!
WTF, Rus is more likely to tell you it will be crap if its wet. Saves us a lot of work filling in holes. It's very wet and soft out there after the rain and snow we had on Thursday.

jamespierce

Likes Dirt
So a few weeks on are we back in business out there yet ? Was planning a trip with the crew for Tuesday, but we wont come if it's vandalism.

MJG

Likes Dirt
So a few weeks on are we back in business out there yet ? Was planning a trip with the crew for Tuesday, but we wont come if it's vandalism.
Sorry for the late message.

Nope, you won't be doing any vandalism. The Wombat Track is in very good condition at the moment - the last few weeks have been drier than expected for spring.

Chromo

Squid
Sorry for the late message.

Nope, you won't be doing any vandalism. The Wombat Track is in very good condition at the moment - the last few weeks have been drier than expected for spring.
I'll second that. Whoever did the recent work on the Wombat Track deserves a pat on the back. It's in generally excellent condition.

Mafra

Likes Bikes
Thanks Wombat Team...

Rode it yesterday for the first time since April - can't get the smile off my face still tonight.

Thanks so much to everyone for the work that's obviously been done improving drainage and shoring up the surface....

Hopefully it stays dry for a few more weeks and we can get a few more shots in before it goes back to mud!

Dafatkid

Likes Bikes
You Tube envy....

Watched a few You Tube videos today of the Wombat track

Very jealous of those who can get out there often.

HAVE to get out there at some point....going to do the Wombat 50km.

Dparo

Squid
Can anyone tell me the drive time from Mt Buller to Wombat forest?

Thinking of combining a Buller trip with the Wombat race next year.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Wombat is nowhere near Buller at all. It's basically the same distance from Melbourne to Buller. It would be 3.5-4hrs drive.

Dparo

Squid
Yeah thanks Benizmo coming from Illawarra for week before Wombat so 3-4 hours from Buller a good guide for a rest day. Can anyone also recommend any other sweet trails closer to Wombat for after race, Bendigo or Castlemaine? Probably stay at Beechworth on way back!

mella060

Likes Dirt
Can anyone also recommend any other sweet trails closer to Wombat for after race, Bendigo or Castlemaine? Probably stay at Beechworth on way back!
Definately check out Castlemaine if you are in the area. I had a few days in Bendigo recently and found a sweet little loop just out of Castlemaine. Its around 10k and not too hard but very up and down. Top fun indeed!!

Heres a map of the trails that are worth checking out...

http://bancoora.au.com/Castlemaine Rides/Castlemaine Walmer Circuit Trail Information.html

I rode the western loop which is the blue track on the map.

Heres a youtube video of the loop i rode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh5buU2CRcc

Dparo

Squid
Definately check out Castlemaine if you are in the area. I had a few days in Bendigo recently and found a sweet little loop just out of Castlemaine. Its around 10k and not too hard but very up and down. Top fun indeed!!
Thanks mella060 will def check out Castlemaine. And cheers guys for the drive time & Dr Google, looks pretty easy to get lost but might find more trails then...

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't comment on the trail status, but take your woolies I was out there (Woodend / Mt Macedon) on the roadie this morning... I have to say it's the first time I've ever had brain freeze without icecream :smow:

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
Can't comment on the trail status, but take your woolies I was out there (Woodend / Mt Macedon) on the roadie this morning... I have to say it's the first time I've ever had brain freeze without icecream :smow:
Nice work! I'll bring some of my old Norwegian winter riding gear then. Should hold up just fine. ;)

MJG

Likes Dirt
Yesterday (Sat 8 Jun) morning there were still quite a few muddy bits on the western part of Track 1, mostly on the section after the crossing of Taylor Rd. We're aiming to fix these at next Sunday's working bee. The rest of the tracks west of Fingerpost Rd were quite good, considering the rain that fell on Thursday and Friday. Can't comment on the bits east of Fingerpost Rd - didn't ride them.

Yes, it's been a bit brisk the last few mornings. Ski gloves and insulated waterproof winter MTB boots are highly recommended.

JorgenY22

Likes Dirt
Yesterday (Sat 8 Jun) morning there were still quite a few muddy bits on the western part of Track 1, mostly on the section after the crossing of Taylor Rd. We're aiming to fix these at next Sunday's working bee. The rest of the tracks west of Fingerpost Rd were quite good, considering the rain that fell on Thursday and Friday. Can't comment on the bits east of Fingerpost Rd - didn't ride them.

Yes, it's been a bit brisk the last few mornings. Ski gloves and insulated waterproof winter MTB boots are highly recommended.
Thanks for that! Yep can confirm Garmin 510 screen reading of -0.7c whilst riding yesterday morning. Lots of puddles, however sections in between were dry so must admit to having a great ride overall. Certain parts of the track were a lot wetter than others, and bike + all gear needed a thorough clean afterwards. :)

A small tip would be to bring change, towel and laundry basket for post ride.

661's D3O XC knee pads had an excellent dual function as knee warmers on top of the long bike pants that went over the bib shorts, and the Five Ten Freerider shoes felt warm enough. My "normal" gloves were way too cold however, and four layers on the upper body (4 core / 2 full arms) didn't seem one too many. Couldn't find my headband and that was a small regret too.

Last edited:

MJG

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that! Yep can confirm Garmin 510 screen reading of -0.7c whilst riding yesterday morning.
Have you noticed any disparity in temperature readings between your and your riding mates' GPS units? We get close to a 5C range amongst our regular riding group (most use Edge 500s, one has an Edge 800). To end arguments about whose was right, I determined the error in mine by doing an ice-point calibration. I put my GPS head unit in a clear ziplock bag, then placed this in an ice and water slush until the indicated temp no longer changed (took up to an hour or so). As long as both ice and (pure) water are present the temp will by definition be 0C. If your final stable temp shows anything different, you'll know how much to correct your readings by. This won't give you a valid correction for elevated summer temps, but these are often affected by direct sunlight and can be much higher than ambient air temp.