Women’s Mountain Bikes Upgrade for the Wife

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok so here are the numbers Geometry wise for the 3 main contenders, Wife has ridden both the giant and Specialized and like the fit off them, so it’s a matter of picking the closest spectral size

Liv Intrigue XS
Reach. 405
Standover. 730mm
Top Tube. 565mm

Specialized Stumpjumper ST Small
Reach. 425
Standover. 744mm
Top Tube. 568mm

Canyon Spectral XS.
Reach. 390
Standover. 713mm
Top Tube. 548mm.

Canyon spectral Small
Reach. 409mm
Standover. 717mm
Top Tube. 567mm

To me the small seems more on par with the other 2 but XS is what canyon is advising.

I did the dinosaur fit calculator on competitive cyclist and they are saying top tube around 550-560 with a 70mm-90mm stem.

So definitely leaning to the small with a 50mm stem.

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The Small would be the winner there you'd think. Only 4mm longer in reach and still way lower standover than the Liv and Spesh. If the Liv didn't seem too long I can't see her noticing another 2mm ETT on the size Small Spectral.

EDIT: It appears the XS Liv only has a 40mm stem on it, and the Size S Spectral a 50mm, plus the front of the Spectral is fractionally (0.5deg) slacker so maybe ask her if the Liv felt long/short, easy or hard to weight the front wheel, etc...

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed I guess worst case it’s just return it inside the time frame if it’s not right. However will need to confirm the return policy applies to outlet bikes....

PJO

in me vL comy
Go the small. My missus rode a medium today and she was convinced she was only keen on a small frame, she's 5'5". She got on really well with the medium and short stem. Only worry was whether the seat tube was too long, with the dropper slammed to the seat collar she was fine.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
@PJO seat post height is my concern too.

Stupidity rules and I just realised measure her current hardtail.

Middle of seat post to handle bars is 605mm bottom bracket to seat top is 600mm

So saddle height on the small is 648mm min according to canyon, so even allowing for a little sag I don’t think I’ll risk it. Saddle height min on extra small is 608mm.

Also the top tube with a 60mm stem is near identical..

Thank god for the therapy of rotorburn this has been doing me head in...

Now I have found this which says her reach should be around 410 - so the 390 reach is a concern.

https://www.mbr.co.uk/buyers_guide/mountain-bike-frame-size-380074

Last edited:
Reactions: PJO