Women, etc.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I've gone and done the cardinal sin of adding a girl on facebook early. We've been chatting in class at uni for the last few weeks and flirting a bit, but for some reason late one night I felt I should add her, I immediately regretted the decision, but then she accepted anyway. I sent her a message the next day trying to be funny and help break the ice further saying that I'd decided she didn't seem too psycho or anything so I'd be keen to hang out and she should give me her number. She's younger (19) and a bit nerdy, into science, so I thought she'd appreciate the humour and maybe the facebook thing wouldn't be such an issue. But its been a few days since and she hasn't replied and I think I might've scared her off. I won't see her for 2 weeks. Should I try and rectify the situation or wait until I see her in a few weeks and just laugh it off and see what happens?
I think wait it out, if you go chasing her through the internet it will appear desperate. But two weeks should be a long enough time to be able to laugh it off.

Or maybe she really is a psycho and you've caught her out.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I think wait it out, if you go chasing her through the internet it will appear desperate. But two weeks should be a long enough time to be able to laugh it off.

Or maybe she really is a psycho and you've caught her out.
Haha, she could be!
I'm getting better at avoiding the dreaded oneitis. I think just leaving it and laughing it off next time I see her will be the way to go. I'll gauge her reaction when I see her next and if its not standoffish I'll see if she's still open to hanging out and getting a drink or something.

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
If you're going to see her again I'd definitely wait it out, might come off as a bit clingy/wierd/trying to reach too high.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Saw her again today and tried laughing it off. She was nice about it but obviously didn't want to talk to me, so that's that then.

Meanwhile, I met a few nice girls out on the weekend, both friends of a friend, hit it off with them just being friendly, one has a boyfriend and the other is single. I seem to have no trouble meeting and initially talking to women, but I can't seem to convert those encounters into dates. I must be doing something wrong around the "asking for a phone number" stage.

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw her again today and tried laughing it off. She was nice about it but obviously didn't want to talk to me, so that's that then.

Meanwhile, I met a few nice girls out on the weekend, both friends of a friend, hit it off with them just being friendly, one has a boyfriend and the other is single. I seem to have no trouble meeting and initially talking to women, but I can't seem to convert those encounters into dates. I must be doing something wrong around the "asking for a phone number" stage.
3 things.

Girls Always know what you are planning and usually don't care if they like you.

Grow a set and don't laugh it off. or anything just tell her you think she is hot and want to slay her.

naked man

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ok so for those who have read the earlier posts of my ex gf now my mates wife, so update, there wedding was a few weeks ago and um well yeh that was an.....interesting time for everyone especially when i showed up sat right up the back with a huge grin, making them feel a bit awkward (BEST THING I"VE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE) and afterwards my now ex mate came up and said "so didn't expect to see you here" to which i replied "neither did i" he cocked his head at me and i looked at him and said a honestly as i could "mate i hope you and her are happy and can make it work" to which he seemed evermore so confused and then he replied "cheers" and walked off, after that i headed off home

and so now i'm not sure wether it was genuine or not

just so utterly confused in every regard right now

help me nut it out?

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
ok so for those who have read the earlier posts of my ex gf now my mates wife, so update, there wedding was a few weeks ago and um well yeh that was an.....interesting time for everyone especially when i showed up sat right up the back with a huge grin, making them feel a bit awkward (BEST THING I"VE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE) and afterwards my now ex mate came up and said "so didn't expect to see you here" to which i replied "neither did i" he cocked his head at me and i looked at him and said a honestly as i could "mate i hope you and her are happy and can make it work" to which he seemed evermore so confused and then he replied "cheers" and walked off, after that i headed off home

and so now i'm not sure wether it was genuine or not

just so utterly confused in every regard right now

help me nut it out?
Forget about it dude, move on.....not your problem anymore

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
26435308.jpg

*** For the record folks: I for one would certainly not be taking any advice from me when it comes to women; I mean mine thinks one $80 kmart bike, is one bike too many!!! Obviously I went wrong somewhere :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

dog boy

Likes Dirt
Busting out of the friend zone can definitely be done. I've been with my girlfriend for 3 months now we were friends for 4 years before we got together.

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
Busting out of the friend zone can definitely be done. I've been with my girlfriend for 3 months now we were friends for 4 years before we got together.
+1. Can take some doing though. Worth it for the right girl :)

I met a girl, became good friends for over 3 years before dating. Did that for 4 years then got married. Been married more than 13 years now with 3 daughters...

Edit: just added he above numbers up. It has been 20 years last month (more than half my life) since we met. Wow.

Last edited:

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Agreed. I was friends with my girlfriend for about 4 years before we got together. Now we have been together for 5 years in October. I reckon it's good to be friends first and get to know each other well. It is awesome when it all works out though.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
I think this is my first post in this thread, but here goes.

About 2 months ago, was on a uni pub crawl (USyd Lab Coat) and met a girl through a mutual friend. Was talking to her for most of the night, got a number, making out etc. Met up with her a few times over the next few weeks, lunch, dinner, just hanging out etc. We were both busy with uni (I'm final year engineering, she is 2nd year post-grad law, both full time), plus we both worked and all that other stuff. For the 1st month and a half we would still try see each other at least once a week on the weekend or something, and spend a good few hours just lying in bed talking and fooling around, mostly touchy-feely etc. I had never had a GF, or done much with a girl, so it was all new experiences for me.

We seemed to click, we both shared similar views and ideas on all kinds of thing, saw Tool together (which was a damn good gig!).

Then, about 3 weeks ago, she began to have stuff to do on the weekend (friend parties, uni, family stuff). I'm an easy going guy, and I completely understand that people are busy. We still spoke on the phone when we could, sending msgs etc, which was all well and good. Short term pain, long term gain and all that. I was happy to hold out until uni break to start seeing her a bit more (about a month away).

Last night, I get a phone call when she was on the way into the city for yet another friends birthday. I vented some frustrations about some family stuff going on (which her name was brought up in a very small way), to which she then said she 'had to go'. I thought no worries, I'll speak to you in the morning about it.
Fast forward to midnight, get a phone call when she is blind drunk, and she "has thrown up before the birthday girl" (work hard, play harder). Long story short, she has come to the conclusion that "she has to go" (i.e., have to not see each other). I tried to stress that the matter we had spoken about had very little to do with her, and that nothing was wrong between my family and her. Couldn't convince her at all, and essentially the call was a never ending loop (as seems to be the way with drunk people). I then thought fuck it, I'll speak to her in the morning sober (or hungover).

Then I did the stupid thing of sending her a message, with something I shouldn't have said (3 little words, no need to say what they are).
I got a reply for this about 30mins later saying "You don't know what it is". I thought that was a low blow and I took it to heart a bit.

I stayed awake for about an hour, thinking about everything multiple times (disadvantages of my mind, I analyze things way to much. I cant help it.).

Fast forward to this morning. Get a phone call at about 10 in a highly hungover state. She couldn't even remember the phone call (apparently), so I jogged her memory. Shit like that doesn't just get forgotten, and I would rather know what the state of the nation is rather than ignore it (drunk words are sober thoughts). I asked if it was just drunk talk, and she said it was a mixture of both.
**Cue long conversation with very few words being exchanged**.
Seems what I sent her in a message pushed her away. Essentially, she was saying that I wanted someone in my life, not necessarily her. I was putting her up on a pedestal too much, which she is both not used to and disliked because it would come back to hit me in the head when I found out differently.
Long story short, it was never going to work out in her eyes, which I can understand and see as well (kind of). The final nail in the coffin for her was that message (I asked about it after 'conceding' defeat, for lack of a better word.).

So here I am, back to being single again.
I have chalked the whole time down to experience. I discovered a lot about myself on many levels, including some negative traits which I may have to work on.

Do I have any regrets? Only one, sending that stupid message last night.
Do I hold any ill feelings towards her? Nope, I understand her position, and although I don't like it, I can't change it. Better that it happened sooner rather than later in my eyes. I would even consider talking to her again after an extended period apart (on a friendly level only).

Why am I posting in this thread? I needed to get it off my chest, otherwise it will just continually go around my head which is probably not such a good thing.

"Better to have [tried to] loved and lost than to have never [tried to] loved at all"