Wood or dirt ?

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
Hi
Im thinking of build a jump over This

Any way my question is should i use the barrel with some dirt packed in front of it for the up ramp or should i build a north shore style up ramp.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:

tidlibitz

Likes Dirt
i wouldint use a barrel as after time it will rust and collapse at the worst possible time. you can build a wooden jump but also will rot ect and collapse(allthough it will take a while eg a year or so depending on what wood its made out of and if you paint it ect). what you can do is make sortof a sleeve so two peices of 12-14mm ply cut for side peices and a peice of 7mm for a face but no bottom or back peices and simply fill the thing full of dirt and have the dirt supporting the jump but haviong a wooden face making it smoother. and there is also the option of just making a jump out of dirt witch is the cheapest out of them all.

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey, build like a wooden frame in the shape of an up ramp and put dirt inside it, they always work well and is how a lot of people build them:)

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just build a little lip, get some speed and Bunny hop it.
Dosnt seem to much of a distance...
If not, i wouldnt use the Barrell either, just collect alot of sticks, logs etc and get yourself some nice dirt then wallahh, ready to hit.

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
thanks for the replies, Its built on my parents private land so i won't have any trouble getting logs.eg. fallen trees. There also a heap of dirt mounds at the top of the hill and council dumped some road base up there to so maybe i can use that. I'll post some pics when im done :)

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Mixture of both? Best of both worlds. North shore ramp, filled with dirt? WOuld this work, I'm just saying whatever comes to mind?
A mate of mine rebuilt and put a cushion in the ramp. Fun when you bounced off the lip but the nose dive landing hurt.

DjRyde

Likes Dirt
Yer make a wooden frame and fill it with rocks and sand bags and then shovel some dirt over it and pack it in hard.

dont use the barrel because the barrel will collapse eventually then you will need to build a whole new jump. make the jump out of wood it will last longer and be better.

MTBalltheway

Likes Dirt
!

If I was in your situation, I would probably use dirt and wood, wood on top, dirt underneath and one layer of dirt at the way top.
Make sure that you DON'T build the jump too close to the stream or creek thingy or it will collapse when alot of rain comes down.

Good luck and enjoy.