work/trades...what do you do for a crust?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Low level paper pusher in the former role. If 10% of info is missing it’s time for an email to 6 people

Lazy isn’t in their vocabulary

Forms released from me without a signature and date are a massive deal.

I can’t work with people who view the world in black and white.
As long as it isn't their fault, it will always be a big deal.

Minlak

custom titis
I have to think about changing jobs again - Just looked at my calendar for the week and I have to work almost 9 hrs this week - The work load is killing me :(

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
I have to think about changing jobs again - Just looked at my calendar for the week and I have to work almost 9 hrs this week - The work load is killing me :(
Are you looking for staff? I reckon I could help take some of the load.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
It funny you should mention that - Our Accountant is doing our Tax Minimisation Strategy currently and suggested we start paying another wage :)
I don't mind helping you with this. Send through your accounts email and I can start sending you a weekly invoice if you like.

slowmick

38-39"
After almost 14 years with the same company it is time for a change. Well actually it was time for a change 7 years ago but it was not the time for bold moves. Now I have a small team who are excited for me to join and see what we can achieve. Which is awesome as I still have a lot of years left to work. Now to find podcasts for the commute and to get back on the bike more regularly.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
After almost 14 years with the same company it is time for a change. Well actually it was time for a change 7 years ago but it was not the time for bold moves. Now I have a small team who are excited for me to join and see what we can achieve. Which is awesome as I still have a lot of years left to work. Now to find podcasts for the commute and to get back on the bike more regularly.
FBI assassin?

tobbogonist

a registered member
I've been looking at work and trades for the past few months.
Spent my 20's following what I thought was my dream only to work out it was a poorly structured coping mechanism I'd developed to deal with quiet severe mental health issues. I'm happy and healthy now but pretty lost and not keen on the idea of working retail for the rest of my life. I've had opportunities to move towards management but it does not suit me as a person.
We have recently purchased land and are setting up an off grid self sustained permaculture lifestyle. Looking into what I can do myself and what I need someone for I have settled rather firmly on pursuing an electrical apprenticeship, once completed to focus more on off grid work/sustainability. The comedy/performing background will hopefully help later in life as I plan to teach others what we have learned. I have connections with quiet a few of the off grid festivals/seminars about the place.
I have an interest in solar and hydro and have set up a very loose hydro plan for our property, undertaking a few tests etc.
Was wondering if anyone had any advice career wise. The apprenticeship seems the way to go and there is plenty of work down here.
All my mates around the area are chippies and have warned me against going down that path/recommended electrical. I don't really know what I'm asking, more just reaching out.
Due to mental health issues I had never been able to plan long-term/consider the future and now it is all laid out there it is pretty fucking scary.
Any electricians on here?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've been looking at work and trades for the past few months.
Spent my 20's following what I thought was my dream only to work out it was a poorly structured coping mechanism I'd developed to deal with quiet severe mental health issues. I'm happy and healthy now but pretty lost and not keen on the idea of working retail for the rest of my life. I've had opportunities to move towards management but it does not suit me as a person.
We have recently purchased land and are setting up an off grid self sustained permaculture lifestyle. Looking into what I can do myself and what I need someone for I have settled rather firmly on pursuing an electrical apprenticeship, once completed to focus more on off grid work/sustainability. The comedy/performing background will hopefully help later in life as I plan to teach others what we have learned. I have connections with quiet a few of the off grid festivals/seminars about the place.
I have an interest in solar and hydro and have set up a very loose hydro plan for our property, undertaking a few tests etc.
Was wondering if anyone had any advice career wise. The apprenticeship seems the way to go and there is plenty of work down here.
All my mates around the area are chippies and have warned me against going down that path/recommended electrical. I don't really know what I'm asking, more just reaching out.
Due to mental health issues I had never been able to plan long-term/consider the future and now it is all laid out there it is pretty fucking scary.
It's pretty obvious man...you're actual career path is influencer! It's time to throw the last elements of convention away and buy a light ring!

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'm a sparky but now work in Operations (Power Plant).
My boys are now getting to that stage where they are deciding what to do and getting an electrical trade is #1 on both their lists.
It opens a lot of doors and there are many avenues after you can go down after you get your trade.
#1 son is doing work experience at my place in a couple of months, this allows him to drop 2 subjects in year 11 & 12 and get himself onto a VET course that reflects his work experience efforts.
So he will be doing level 1 & 2 in Electrotechnology which will be a decent foot-up to getting an apprenticeship if he goes down that road.

If you can financially afford to do it and it's what you want... get err done.