work/trades...what do you do for a crust?

D2R

Likes Bikes
Fuck is everyone on RB a sparky?
Was, went from Apprenticeship in Big Power to Commercial fitouts Power & Data then into Telecommunications and Data in IT.
Still keep up all my licenses and try to stay on top of Standards updates. Comes in handy to call out Builders and some consultants who think they know Data and IT requirements for small and large builds in a Health Environment.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
@tobbogonist sounds like a great plan and I think you're onto something aiming to do off-grid installations. I'm sure more and more people will go down that path especially as batteries become cheaper and more readily available.
When I decided to get into Surveying, I got a lot more interest when I was about 1/2 way through my Cert 3 and dropping resumes into local firms. Being a bit older it may be harder to get your foot in the door, but you will find that employer who values someone with life experience and who's made an active decision to pursue electrical.
Other than that, I'd agree with others that factory/commercial electrical fitout looks a hell of a lot more cruisy than crawling around domestic roof spaces.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
He’s a Ballarat dude. He used to work on the commercial radio station at the same time I was doing shows on the local community station.
It was the bane of my life. He’s a flog like me…
"Aaand coming up on the Craig Moore show we have Craig Moore!"

Dunno, feel you could've leant into the possibilities a little more.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
While I am self unemployed I do think about work occasionally. Not for long but it sometimes comes up and thinking about different careers, qualifications etc. I saw a car today advertising my new dream job. Energy weaver. They also offered card reading and crystal enhancements. Not sure where the last is headed but if they are doing boob jobs I don't think it will look natural. So tomorrow I am off to grab some 220kV power lines.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
While I am self unemployed I do think about work occasionally. Not for long but it sometimes comes up and thinking about different careers, qualifications etc. I saw a car today advertising my new dream job. Energy weaver. They also offered card reading and crystal enhancements. Not sure where the last is headed but if they are doing boob jobs I don't think it will look natural. So tomorrow I am off to grab some 220kV power lines.
down-periscope-electric.gif