work/trades...what do you do for a crust?

twitchie

Likes Bikes
not sure if theres anything on here already, well nothing i can find anyway.

so what does people do to fund your hobbie?

Im a cabinet maker, the bussiness is a family business. it was started by my parents in about 1988-9ish roughly 30 years.
they recently semi retired and left me to manage the business, with my wife to be learning the ropes.
im the 4th generation cabinet maker.

im deffently not in it to make millions, i just love what i do and really enjoy the out come of a finished job wether its a kitchen, bathroom or shop fit out.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
There’s been a coupled these threads over the years. 20% of people come clean, 40% like to stay anonymous, 40% claim to be the Stig.
Personally, I work with kids and teens under statuary orders. Removed from home due to horrific abuse and neglect, and living in residential housing.

Last edited:

twitchie

Likes Bikes
There’s been a coupled these threads over the years. 20% of people come clean, 40% like to stay anonymous, 40% claim to be the Stig.
Personally, I work with kids and teens under statuary orders. Removed from home due to horrific abuse and neglect, and living in residential housing.
Im willing to bet youve seen and hurd of some pretty tough situations

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks for holding this position, Moorey. Must be difficult...

I'm a tech spec for one of this country's second oldest service provider.
Can something be one of the second oldest?

Cheers, I actually love my job. 3 years in current role and wouldn’t change for the world.
Here is the units notes from Friday afternoon with my 11yo client. One of about 30 I work with. This represents 30 minutes of my week:

Craig from Education Team arrives at unit to discuss with CK about meeting with management on Monday re CK’ complaint that there were not enough art time. CK became heightened when he was told that it’s not an activity visit but to let CK know about the meeting. CK verbally abused Craig telling Craig to f*** off if there wasn’t going to be an activity. Craig explained to CK that he was here to ensure CK that his complaint was heard and that Berry Street is acting on it. CK continued to verbally abuse Craig stating f*** off now. CK continued to escalate and his tone became more intense. Staff intervenes telling CK that his behaviour is unacceptable and that there’s an appropriate way to speak to staff. CK tells staff no and to shut the f*** up. CK then grabs Craig by his wrist, pulling Craig’s arm while telling Craig to f*** off and get out of the house now. Staff directs CK to let go of Craig. CK refused to listen and continued to pull on Craig’s hand stating ‘’you f*** off now’’. Craig then asked CK to let go and that CK’ in his personal space. CK did eventually let go of Craig’s hand but continued to hurl verbal abuse at Craig. CK stated that if there was no cooking then f*** off, you f***wit. CK refused to listen continuing to tell Craig to f***k off and calling Craig profane names. Craig and Staff staff managed to settle CK and asked him to list some of the things he’d like to discuss at the meeting. CK listed growing strawberry’s and an apple tree and had mentioned having his pets. CK also interested in learning to solder and weld.
Don’t judge him on this though, he’s a product of his circumstance. It’s hard for people not working with traumatised young people to understand this.

twitchie

Likes Bikes
Don’t judge him on this though, he’s a product of his circumstance. It’s hard for people not working with traumatised young people to understand this.
The shit those kids have been threw to put them where they are now, you cant blame them for their attitude and actions
The hole reasoning behind guy like you is to help them and guide them in the way their poor excuse for parents/family couldnt

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I work for an org that works with the same kids @moorey does. I’m not front line though. Nothing but respect for those that do.

I work in comms/advocacy - talking with government etc to try and get them to adopt better policies so kids don’t end up traumatised/abused, don’t end up getting up to trouble and, if they do cause shit - find ways to get them back on track.

Tough gig at the moment

Jpez

Down on the left!
Im a carpenter/joiner, work for myself. Do a ton of recycled timber joinery, timber vanities, benchtops, bathroom renos etc for moneyed up inner west melbourne folks.

Jpez

Down on the left!
My partner is a clinical psychologist that writes reports and care plans, risk assessments for a lot of the type of kids you work with. And adults. Highly complex clients with major major issues. Pretty sad when you hear of the neglect and abuse in family lives of these kids which really opens the eyes of why they act the way they do and become the adults they do.

twitchie

Likes Bikes
Im a carpenter/joiner, work for myself. Do a ton of recycled timber joinery, timber vanities, benchtops, bathroom renos etc for moneyed up inner west melbourne folks.
If ya got some free time in mid to late August and interested in doing some work in geelong, i may have a 150sq meter shop fit that I’ll require some extra hands

Jpez

Down on the left!
If ya got some free time in mid to late August and interested in doing some work in geelong, i may have a 150sq meter shop fit that I’ll require some extra hands
Thanks mate, I’m booked through to August as is and have more than I can handle coming in all the time.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
CK could be a burner based on telling Moorey to fuck off that many times! Kudos to you guys who can do that.

Anyways. Mechanical Engineer here. Worked as an engineer doing technical stuff for 15 odd years. Did some management post grad work at uni and then went through various stages of management until the owners sold the business to a larger group who didnt need me. Happy with that. Would have been a massive clash of principles.

Effectively self-unemployed since earlier this year.

So I am now consulting based on my industry knowledge. Would prefer insulting to consulting but all I want/need now is to pay the bills and give something back to the industry and profession that looked after me so well. Four contracts since working for me, two freebies! You can do that when you work for yourself.

Got to say I am crazy busy with social stuff, no idea how I fitted in full time employment! Best part of my current work is that most can be done at home, at night or early morning leaving the days free to go to the sprints, 'GEAR' days, catch up with mates etc. And being in an office listening to the ills of the world and putting out fires, putting up with the shit that is generated in copious quantities by head office is not missed at all.

stirk

Burner
Can something be one of the second oldest?

Cheers, I actually love my job. 3 years in current role and wouldn’t change for the world.
Here is the units notes from Friday afternoon with my 11yo client. One of about 30 I work with. This represents 30 minutes of my week:

Tough job yet rewarding I hope, most of the time! A mate works for docs and the stories I've heard are mind blowing, this kid wants to grow strawberries and cook, there's alot of good in him. Kids can be turned, adults maybe harder.

twitchie

Likes Bikes
CK could be a burner based on telling Moorey to fuck off that many times! Kudos to you guys who can do that.

Anyways. Mechanical Engineer here. Worked as an engineer doing technical stuff for 15 odd years. Did some management post grad work at uni and then went through various stages of management until the owners sold the business to a larger group who didnt need me. Happy with that. Would have been a massive clash of principles.

Effectively self-unemployed since earlier this year.

So I am now consulting based on my industry knowledge. Would prefer insulting to consulting but all I want/need now is to pay the bills and give something back to the industry and profession that looked after me so well. Four contracts since working for me, two freebies! You can do that when you work for yourself.

Got to say I am crazy busy with social stuff, no idea how I fitted in full time employment! Best part of my current work is that most can be done at home, at night or early morning leaving the days free to go to the sprints, 'GEAR' days, catch up with mates etc. And being in an office listening to the ills of the world and putting out fires, putting up with the shit that is generated in copious quantities by head office is not missed at all.
Its the best thing when you can make enough money to pay the bills keep the roof over yourhead and have more time to do what you enjoy!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I'm a printing machinist, glorified ink applicator basically. The number of blank looks I get when I say my printer is longer than a flat bed truck.......

I'd love to be doing what @Dales Cannon is doing, that shit really interests me, but by the time I realised that I'd missed most of the subjects at school that I needed to get into uni and it was too hard to catch up.

It's not a patch on what @moorey does, but my wife is a Kinder Inclusion Support worker who helps 3-4yo kids who are wired differently, autism, adhd, behaviour, physical challenges etc, to fit into the education system.

Some of the stories she comes home with are Heartbreaking too

climberman

Likes Dirt
I work in transport planning for the gummint. I did road project development for years, and before that environmental planning and impact stuff for infrastructure, mainly telco's (fibre and mobile) and roads.
Big high profile projects and interesting stuff.

danncam

Likes Dirt
Ex RN, now low level manager of a small primary health engagement team for a federally funded Primary Health Network. We essentially try and improve primary health through engagement, education, projects and commissioning.