Working on the Sabbath

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
This is officially the most impulsive bike project I've ever been involved with.....

Yep, it's a dirt jump bike - Devinci actually calls this a pump track bike but if it looks like a duck (etc.). It's a project that's a bit of a fusion between me being DJ curious for some time and one of my mates wanting one for years, and together we realised that by pooling various bike parts and splitting costs 50/50 we could potentially get something pretty cool for a pretty moderate outlay.

Show us your welds. Detailing and finish is bloody good imo.

Normally I understand the process with DJ bikes (especially when starting out) is to grab something secondhand and chromoly, or something new and chromoly, throw the bare minimum of parts at it and away you go, but my LBS offered this frame at a price too good to refuse for something a bit out of the ordinary (Canadian made alloy frame) and the bits going on it are largely dictated by the old donor bike (my 26" AM hardtail) and other shit we have lying around so this build may not be entirely purist friendly.....

Firstly, not only is it going to have a brake, it's going to have plural brake. This is because it's also going to be used for a lot of street / road dick around riding in inner city Melbourne. Now I don't know how things work in your neck of the woods, but in your average Australian capital city streets and roads often have cars moving around on them, and said cars are often piloted by morons, so having a f/r brake set up was considered a pretty good safety feature. Even more controversially, the forks going on it are a set of Talas 36s (100 / 130 / 160). Presumably the handling will be heinous at the full send setting but it'll be fun to find out.

What else? Oh it's going to have a dropper post. Again because it's what we've got and it might make it a bit more versatile when someone is stupid enough to use it for a Yarra Trails ride. Interestingly the frame clearly has routing for either a) a front derailleur (vomit) or b) a dropper post, so it's probably meant to be. Gearing is going to be 30 / 14 - again because those are the spare cranks available and because I found a 14t cog in a cardboard box that's a legacy from when I was still muppetting with rigid single speeds. No idea whether that's an optimal gear ratio or a bag of poo, but again it'll be fun to find out and at least those sliding drop outs will make setting it up easy:

No 135mm coat hanger hatefulness here, instead Devinci provides a proper axle. Does mean I need to get some adapters for the rear hub though. Speaking of, wheels are 32 spoke Hopes nailed to some Nextie 30mm internals, a combination I have absolute confidence will take any abuse up to and including a howitzer without flinching. Tyres are a DHF 2.3 and an Aggressor 2.3, a combination that's probably a bit of a boat anchor for pump tracks and getting mad air, but again it's what we've got. Tyre pressures will be increased accordingly.

So why isn't it a bike yet? Aforementioned hub adapters are one, a new BB to replace the one that won't play nicely with the cranks is another, but the main thing is getting a crown race / spacer thingy so the (non-tapered) forks can work with the headset. All of those things either aren't far off or just haven't been paid for yet, so fingers crossed this will be ready to express train anyone taking the piss while riding it to Emergency within a fortnight. Watch this space!

Attachments

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

Some progress. Currently the world's largest balance bike owing to some bb / crank issues, front brake needs a bleed and the dropper post routing is all kinds of wrong (need a longer cable). On the plus side the fit feels pretty good and it's surprisingly light. So far.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Update: turns out (geddit) that the bottom bracket / crank issues weren't due to mechanical ineptitude. Went back to LBS for assistance and they diagnosed frame alignment that was either welded by the work experience kid or a former Intense employee. After three cones. So that frame has been binned and we have a new one. Bad for quality and workmanship appearance that some idiot might have been dribbling about earlier in this thread, great for customer service with Summit Cycles Fitzroy being awesome as usual.

Even more awesomely, one of their mechanics is having a go at designing a 3D printed seat tube mount for the dropper post (it can't go on the bars due to some enthusiasm for using this thing for a barspin induced crash or two - brake cables have been lengthened accordingly).

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Any chance there is a bottle cage mount on the frame? I know it seems a silly question, but those stupid things pop up in a lot of frames where it's just a bad idea. If there is, you might be able to mount the dropper lever on it. My polygon has a shifter mount on the down tube in such a fashion. I'm not rad enough for be spins so I don't use it.

Why not a seat lever activated dropper? Or maybe hey do t exist anymore.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Any chance there is a bottle cage mount on the frame? I know it seems a silly question, but those stupid things pop up in a lot of frames where it's just a bad idea. If there is, you might be able to mount the dropper lever on it. My polygon has a shifter mount on the down tube in such a fashion. I'm not rad enough for be spins so I don't use it.

Why not a seat lever activated dropper? Or maybe hey do t exist anymore.
Just checked re bottle cage and that's a no unfortunately. Good idea though. The seat level activated dropper is a great idea. The stubborn insistence on only using parts we have for this build started waning when the realisation of the pita that dropper routing is about to become hit. The temptation to chuck up a WTB for a seat lever activated 31.6 dropper is increasing. Or given its got a quick release seat collar we might just decide to run a standard seatpost on it like a normal person would.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A few zip ties, old tube, and a little aluminium could see that dropper on the seat tube easy enough.

What about finding one of those awesome (cough cough choke cough) ok titec telescopic posts?

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That's hot, wondering why I'm only seeing this now... and why the hell this frame didn't pop up when I was on the hunt for my last pump track frame. Don't suppose you know if they have any more @Asininedrivel?
Just checked Summit Cycles's website (and FTR's) and it looks like neither stock them. I think Summit are binning Devinci (nothing to do with product, just limited brand awareness in Oz sadly). I've put some feelers out regardless to see if there's anything loitering in a box somewhere...

Really should update this thread too.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Just checked Summit Cycles's website (and FTR's) and it looks like neither stock them. I think Summit are binning Devinci (nothing to do with product, just limited brand awareness in Oz sadly).
Bit of a shame that, the current line-up actually looks really solid.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah, some pics of the completed bike would be nice
Fine. You get one. With a cat in it. Proper update to come (promise) - it's been an evolving project.

Bit of a shame that, the current line-up actually looks really solid.
Yeah it really is. Great product by all accounts, mate has a Django and a brick shithouse spec Spartan 29 and loves them.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Just checked Summit Cycles's website (and FTR's) and it looks like neither stock them. I think Summit are binning Devinci (nothing to do with product, just limited brand awareness in Oz sadly). I've put some feelers out regardless to see if there's anything loitering in a box somewhere...

Really should update this thread too.
In a round about way that's how I got here, was looking to buy some stuff online through Summit but not having used them before thought I'd quickly search the forum for any negative experiences and this thread came up in the search results. Back tracked to check their stock and as you say not showing anything in Devinci and even not on the Rowney Sports site anymore.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
In a round about way that's how I got here, was looking to buy some stuff online through Summit but not having used them before thought I'd quickly search the forum for any negative experiences and this thread came up in the search results. Back tracked to check their stock and as you say not showing anything in Devinci and even not on the Rowney Sports site anymore.
Yeah had a chat with Summit and they're all out in Melbourne - I think Rowney have got rid of Devinci too as FTR no longer seems to stock them either. Hopefully another distributor will pick them up.. otherwise the Transition DJ looks pretty cool - especially given they have a "bigger" size for larger lads and lasses.