Working out if 1x conversion is a good idea

DTBrad

Likes Bikes
Hi all,
I am toying with the idea of converting my 3x10 Merida trail hardtail to a 1x setup. I am relatively new back into bikes, i.e. had a space of quite a few year, and my fitness is still not up to a fantastic level as well as gaining confidence and skills slowly.

I am moderately capable of using the crankset gears and the granny gear has got me up a few hills so I am worried about limiting myself to a 30t on front and 42t on the back compared to the current 24t-36t.

I am attacted by the simplicity of a 1x system though.

John U

MTB Precision
What are you hoping to gain by going 1 x? How often do you drop chains? What trails are you currently riding?

Stick with what you’ve got for the time being. Sounds like you’re using the wider range. If you’ve been out of the sport for a while you might be better off saving your coin for a new bike.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Ive got an old merida hardtail 2011 I think it was , my first MTB , I only use it for a bit of a commuter these days , and it still has the 3x on it ,

No point changing it for me , it serves the purpose ,

I have a 2x10 on a cross country 29er , and a 1 x11 on an enduro style 27.5 ,

For me the main advantage of the 1x , is the easy access to the dropper post , on that bike I use it a lot ,

I personally think it depends on your style of riding ,

try climbing hills without your last couple of lowest gears , it could be a bit like that , depending what you want to spend

stirk

Burner
Work out what the high and low gears you have in your 3x10 that match a 1x10 range and try riding only within that range, if you like it convert, if not don't. The high gear compromise running 11-42 & 30 ring is good for 55kph in high gear down slight hills, coasting is welcome to rest up unless racing.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What stirk said. Check what gears you currently have, try riding without using anything you might lose by going 1x and see if you can live with it.

I went 1x9 after ordering a med cage rear derailleur. Didn’t really miss the missing gears. Then eventually went 1x11 but with a bigger chainring to get some more top end speed and also still gained a slightly lower gear as well but don’t use it as often as the top gears.

Get a calculator out if you need to work out the gearing.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Just do it. Forget trying to calculate all the numbers, just rip that FD off and go 1x10. Suffer the first few climbs and then enjoy the benefits of getting some proper leg strength.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
we have to remember we're riding mountains on a bike and gearing is our savior to be able to nail the steepest of climbs and generally keep you moving along above granny pace. a 1x11 with 11-46 and say a 32 or 34 up front is a sweet setup and will get you through most terrain, with a clutch derailleur and a hope/sram/shimano front ring or like you won't be dropping chains. this is an experienced rider's setup as you lose super granny and the big ring - an experienced rider has the range in their legs to cope with the changing loads that hits them in the terrain, so they can push through load changes whereas new riders don't have that and require more gearing to maintain their power range.

you might think well bang on 1x and adapt, yes maybe but you don't want to be grinding or walking hills better off riding with good cadence.

if you have a good factory setup 2x is very good, then focus on tubeless and lightweight wheels, that's the best performance improvement you can make.

slowmick

38-39"
you can always work out the ratios of your planned 1 x set up and then convert that to your 3 x set up. ride as you would normally until you don't need to bail out to an easier gear than your 1x set up can offer. i did this to figure when i could change to a larger chain ring on my 1x.

that said i still love 2 x 10 (as that's the cranks i had) for my hardtail. it is my exploring bike and it is always nice to have a few gears up your sleeve on a new trail. i'd run 3 x if i had the cranks as it would give me top end speed for the road and bike tracks to and from the trails.

1x has it's advantages but it is not the be all and end all of enjoying riding a bike. Have fun bloke.

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Hi all,
I am toying with the idea of converting my 3x10 Merida trail hardtail to a 1x setup. I am relatively new back into bikes, i.e. had a space of quite a few year, and my fitness is still not up to a fantastic level as well as gaining confidence and skills slowly.

I am moderately capable of using the crankset gears and the granny gear has got me up a few hills so I am worried about limiting myself to a 30t on front and 42t on the back compared to the current 24t-36t.

I am attacted by the simplicity of a 1x system though.
You've got a triple up front. My guess is the middle ring is a 32T, which is nearabouts to what you'd use in a 1x setup anyway. Go for a few rides using just the middle ring up front and you'll have a fair idea about what the bike will be like as a 1x setup.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
I went from a 2x10 to a 1x10 on my Enduro.

Put a 42T on the back and a 32T up the front. I am unfit and a heavy rider (100kg in birthday suit).

The conversation was the best decision ever. Didn't find myself struggling and still happy with top speed.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Stay with the 3x; you spend the majority of the time in the middle, with a very useable gear spread with sensible ratio gaps, so it's treated as a mid-range-optimised 1x, and you have the granny & big rings to extend both ends of the range when needed.

2x sucks arse, because you have one ring that's too big a lot of the time and one that's too small a lot of the time, so it leaves you hunting gears a lot more.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
we have to remember we're riding mountains on a bike and gearing is our savior to be able to nail the steepest of climbs and generally keep you moving along above granny pace. a 1x11 with 11-46 and say a 32 or 34 up front is a sweet setup and will get you through most terrain, with a clutch derailleur and a hope/sram/shimano front ring or like you won't be dropping chains. this is an experienced rider's setup as you lose super granny and the big ring - an experienced rider has the range in their legs to cope with the changing loads that hits them in the terrain, so they can push through load changes whereas new riders don't have that and require more gearing to maintain their power range.

you might think well bang on 1x and adapt, yes maybe but you don't want to be grinding or walking hills better off riding with good cadence.

if you have a good factory setup 2x is very good, then focus on tubeless and lightweight wheels, that's the best performance improvement you can make.
What 11-46 do you recommend ?

Been looking myself , the XT one seems a bit out of wack with that last jump of 37 -46 , the sunrace one seems more consistent in its spacing but reviews on it seem a bit inconsistent.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Stay with the 3x; you spend the majority of the time in the middle, with a very useable gear spread with sensible ratio gaps, so it's treated as a mid-range-optimised 1x, and you have the granny & big rings to extend both ends of the range when needed.

2x sucks arse, because you have one ring that's too big a lot of the time and one that's too small a lot of the time, so it leaves you hunting gears a lot more.
A lone voice in a sea of converters. Oh how I hate the FD.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Keep the triple .
Just got my wife's new bike /Xmas pressie built up - triple 42 /32/22 x 11-34 w FD .
Old fashioned + sensible for a hardtail do it all .

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Just do it. Forget trying to calculate all the numbers, just rip that FD off and go 1x10. Suffer the first few climbs and then enjoy the benefits of getting some proper leg strength.
Agree with this. I definitely didn't have the leg strength first few rides, but it builds quickly because you have no choice.

I run 1x10 11-36 and haven't needed a 42t yet. Would be nice but when you seen single speeders do that same trails as I do just suck it up haha.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
24F - 36R = Ratio of 0.67
30F - 46R = Ratio of 0.65

The ratio spread at the "granny" end is only there to bail you out when you need it. The jump from an XT 11-46t at the end of the range is large in comparison, but it is what it is...a bail out ring.

Just for your own comparison, the ratios are listed below.

30t with XT 11-46T
11- 2.73
13- 2.31
15- 2.00
17- 1.76
19- 1.58
21- 1.43
24- 1.25
28- 1.07
32- 0.94
37- 0.81
46 - 0.65

24t with 11-36T
11- 2.18
13- 1.85
15- 1.60
17- 1.41
19- 1.26
21- 1.14
24- 1.00
28- 0.86
32- 0.75
36- 0.67

32t with 11-36T
11- 2.91
13- 2.46
15- 2.13
17- 1.88
19- 1.68
21- 1.52
24- 1.33
28- 1.14
32- 1.00
36- 0.89

42t with 11-36T
11- 3.82
13- 3.23
15- 2.80
17- 2.47
19- 2.21
21- 2.00
24- 1.75
28- 1.50
32- 1.31
36- 1.17

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What 11-46 do you recommend ?

Been looking myself , the XT one seems a bit out of wack with that last jump of 37 -46 , the sunrace one seems more consistent in its spacing but reviews on it seem a bit inconsistent.
next gear down is 37, so running 32 to 37 is a pretty good climb gear, there's 2 reasons for 46 your legs are stuffed say race situation and/or mega steep terrain, I would typically hit any steep terrain (20%+) in 46 and then drop to 37 when I know I've got the climb. so no worries about jump to 46, for me.

https://marathonmtb.com/2017/05/05/11-46-cassette-review/

Last edited:

PJO

in me vL comy
Just spent $450 to convert both mine and the wife's bike to 1x11, both drive trains were running worn out chain, cassette, and chain rings, so it made sense to update.
Hers from 3x9 (22/32/44 by 11-34) to (30 by 11-42) and she loves it, said she didn't use the 44t chain ring anyway and feels like she has hardly lost anything at the low end.
I converted mine from 1x9 (30 by 11-34) which I've been running for about 2-3 years. With the 1x11 (32 by 11-42) its nice to have a bit lower gearing, but I have only missed it very occasionally.
Neither one of us rides the mtb on the road (i.e. to get to the local trails), and the tracks here are mostly up and down (not much flat), so losing the high gearing isn't an issue.
As already pointed out by JTmofo, you aren't losing the low gears by running a 30 by 11-46, and you're only losing what amounts to "half" a gear (i.e. it is somewhere between your old the lowest gear and the next lowest) by running a 11-42 instead of the 11-46.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
Any one into the oval chain rings ?

A mate of mine swears by his and im tempted to give it a go
next gear down is 37, so running 32 to 37 is a pretty good climb gear, there's 2 reasons for 46 your legs are stuffed say race situation and/or mega steep terrain, I would typically hit any steep terrain (20%+) in 46 and then drop to 37 when I know I've got the climb. so no worries about jump to 46, for me.

https://marathonmtb.com/2017/05/05/11-46-cassette-review/
I have been riding a bike with a Sram 32 up front and a 10-42 cassette set up , i pretty much climb anything on my local trails ok with that

The bike I have just brought has a 2 x11 xt 11 -42 Cassette ,

Im assuming if i keep that cassette and put a 32 on the front that will feel very similar to my other bike ?

But if i went the bigger cassette 11 - 46 , would a 34 up front make much negative difference to the climbing ? or would you stick to the 32 on both ?

Im tempted to give the oval chain rings a go , a mate has one , he swears by it

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt

Why is 36T too big on a 2x? My wife runs 2x with a 11-40T cassette and spends the absolute majority of most rides in the 36T. The 26T(or is it a 28?) is her retreat gear. I have offered to change her to 32T and 11-42T but she isn't interested. I run 36T 11-42T, am thinking a 34T next time not for the climbing but for the weird cadence I hit switching between the 15t and 17t at race pace.