World Champion blitzes downhill final

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
World Champion, Sam Hill (PERTH), claimed an Australian victory today in the SRAM final of the Mountain Bike Series in Mt Beauty, Victoria. At just 22 years of age, Hill is currently ranked number one in the World following his prestigious World Cup Series win last season. Hill rode a blistering 3 min 10.98 sec to win after qualifying fastest in the seeding run in heavy rain. Hill’s appearance, his only in Australia since claiming his second World Championship in Scotland in August, was appreciated by his Australian fans.

The crowds lining the course cheering their hero in his final run. Hill appreciated the accolades.

"It was awesome especially coming into the last chute. You could could hear them 20 seconds before I got there," Hill commented.

As Hill prepares for another assault on the World scene he was pleased with his form to date.

"I've only been on the bike a month," he admitted. "I came here to use it as a bit of a guage of my fitness. I'm on track. I've still got worlk to do obviously."

With a strong group of younger riders trying to emulate Hill's success in Australia and overseas the World Champion was impressed with the field.

"There are a lot of fast younger riders here that I haven't seen before. It's good to see those guys out there."

As conditions changed from driving rain in the seeding run, the skies cleared for the finals giving the elite riders the best traction all day.

With Australian riders high on rankings, Hill had a top field including 8th in the World, Nathan Rennie (GOLD COAST) to contend with. Newly crowned National Champion, Rennie, placed third with a final run of 3 min 17.78 sec today just one and a half seconds behind Canadian National Champion, Steve Smith.

A disappointing run today for series leader, Amiel Cavalier (WOLLONGONG) lost him the overall series lead and that title went to Rennie with 215 points. Cavalier suffered from two crashes early on the course and stepped aside to allowed the World Champion, Hill, to pass before riding to the finish. Cavalier made it into second overall with 181 points while young Will Rischbieth (ADELAIDE) ranked third in the series with 158 points.

Rick Boyer (NEWCASTLE) survived slippery conditions to place fourth and local professional rider Liam Panozzo (MT BEAUTY) claimed fifth.

The elite women’s race was won by World ranked number two, Tracy Moseley (GREAT BRITAIN) with Queensland sensation, Tracey Hannah, in second. At number three in the world, Hannah qualified fastest but her final run of 3 min 51.26 included a crash in the final berm leaving her three seconds behind Moseley's time. Hannah claimed second overall in the national series just one point behind Canberra’s Claire Whiteman. Women's series leader's coming into the final, Emma McNaughton (NEWCASTLE), was disappointed after crashing in practice and was withdrawn for medical attention.

In the Under 19 men it was Shaun O'Connor's (KANGAROO VALLEY) turn to claim a win even with two crashes on his final run. O;Connor also claimed the overall series with 270 points. National Champion, Dylan Prohm (WOLLONGONG) finished in 16th place but ended up with 193 points to claim second in the series. Rhys Willemse (GOLD COAST) also had trouble on his run placing 13th but overall secured third place in the series with 170 points

Two Adelaide riders, James Shepherd and Connor Fearon claimed the overall series for under 17 and under 15 men respectively.

Earlier in the day the cross country riders returned to ride their short course race. The women's raced in muddy conditions and local rider, Tory Thomas (MT BEAUTY) took the early lead however a strong sprint by Katherine O'Shea (MELBOURNE) gave her the win with Thomas claiming second.

For elite men's race the course was becoming slippery however National Champion, Chris Jongewaard (ADELAIDE) showed his class and it was only local rider Paul Van Der Ploeg (TAWONGA) who attempted to bridge the gap. Jongewaard went on to win with Ploeg second.

Full results here (.pdf)

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

Attachments

Last edited:

cody/bogen

Likes Dirt
O'connor mentioned he had an excellent run on numerous occasions (including podium speech) no long after he said he had 2 crashes...biggest crock

Incontinent

Crusty Juggler
The reason why Bert was 16th, flattted coming out of the bus stop but rode it out to try to save some points.
Gotta give Shaun credit, he managed the conditions best of the group and deserved the win.

Last edited: