World cup team changes rumor thread

Benlow

Likes Bikes
I'm almost lost in all the suggestions on Gwin but has it been said anywhere that he isn't on Troy Lee Designs and will be Flying another kit?
Stikman (TLD's marketing manager) mentioned on Vital that Gwin will be staying with TLD.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup, it pretty poor journalism, but it is bicycle journalism, so that's pretty standard.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't gwin just state who the new frame sponsors is? Is the delay just to drum up more attention and therefore free advertising? or are there legalities involved?
I'm starting to get the feeling that the delay in Gwin's official announcement is that he's screwed up (at least partially) with his contract. It seems almost certain that currently he will be sponsored by YT but what if the delay is that he can't get all his component/equipment sponsors finalised/to pay him what he wants and that's why he hasn't made an official announcement. Considering Specialized weren't prepared to pay him what he was asking, who's to say companies like SRAM/Shimano/Fox/TLD/Fly don't feel the same way?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Casey Brown is doing downhill and enduro on Trek Factory Racing and Katy Winton (never heard of her.......) is doing the enduro series. That leaves me wondering who will be the dudes on the team? I don't remember seeing anything about the Trek Factory Team's downhill riders, Bueller?

sundy

Likes Dirt
Casey Brown is doing downhill and enduro on Trek Factory Racing and Katy Winton (never heard of her.......) is doing the enduro series. That leaves me wondering who will be the dudes on the team? I don't remember seeing anything about the Trek Factory Team's downhill riders, Bueller?
Wouldn't that be Gee and Rachel? (Or am I missing something here?)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Atherton racing = trek factory. They've even changed their facebook name.
Gotcha. I wasn't sure if Trek would be the official team for the 'Affa-ons and wondered if the factory team would appear as something else.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gotcha. I wasn't sure if Trek would be the official team for the 'Affa-ons and wondered if the factory team would appear as something else.
The new enduro riders seem to be running the same gear as the XC team, so one would think they're under that banner. Keep in mind the now defunct Trek World Racing team wasn't a factory effort.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I'm starting to get the feeling that the delay in Gwin's official announcement is that he's screwed up (at least partially) with his contract. It seems almost certain that currently he will be sponsored by YT but what if the delay is that he can't get all his component/equipment sponsors finalised/to pay him what he wants and that's why he hasn't made an official announcement. Considering Specialized weren't prepared to pay him what he was asking, who's to say companies like SRAM/Shimano/Fox/TLD/Fly don't feel the same way?
Any word as to who might be on his team? I can't recall any speculation about it. Securing other riders could be delaying a team announcement. They could just be milking it for all it's worth..... :mmph:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
In case someone hasn't seen this yet... update from Gwin

It's inline with dirt lovers hypothesis about the sponsors not being sorted out yet.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2016 WC Team changes rumour thread...

Dean Lucas to intense? Be a good fit, always seemed a bit of a non Canadian third wheel at Devinci

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
To confirm an already suspected gig; Dean Lucas is on Intense teamed with Jack Moir and the official photos are doing the rounds. Those boys will be podium-ing this year, pinners. ;)

heavyp

You heard it here first
I didn't want to be one of those guys to say it but all clues from what I see is Gwin will be on YT.

Troy hinted on Aarons Instagram.
The Bike when zoomed up in photoshop in the last Instagram post looks like a YT.
The announcement was meant to be Tuesday and someone picked up on this asking Aaron what happened to the announcement, Gwin commented back saying something come up so its been pushed back a week. I was thinking this could be due to Kelly Mcgarry passing away and it hitting the YT crew hard and out of respect not going public with the Gwin signing.

Last edited: