Worth getting shimano front and back V's

Fritta

Likes Dirt
Is it worth getting the whole deal, shimano v's with cables levers etc. for front and rear. Or should i just save up some more money for some avids or something. I could get these shimanos for $90.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
what type of shimano???.... what type of Avid?????.... you considered disk????

Rik

logged out
Shimanos lower end brakes are pretty good for the dollars. In fact, the only thing I dislike about them is the S word on them.
Might as well go with them, a well adjusted V brake is more than ample for most riding.

Fritta

Likes Dirt
Theyre not the best of the best shimanos but theyre good enough for what i want. Ltr, i don't have a rear disk mount and to get front disks i need a new hub so...
I was thinking some medium quality avids.
I reckon ill just go with the shimanos :D

jays_5000

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't like the flexy feel you get from XT V-brakes.

Don't know about any of the other models though.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
The best vs are $15 Tecktros.

Well maybe not the best- but they are blood good for the money. Especially considering that just about any set of v pads cost $10.

_J_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
conside some avid speed dial 5 levers and some avid single digit 5's...avid make best cable brakes!

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if ure going to the 8hr race this weekend at Whittlesea there will be a guy there selling avid sd5 levers and brakes. He's asking $150. Avid's are the best.

andrew

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fritta said:
Is it worth getting the whole deal, shimano v's with cables levers etc. for front and rear. Or should i just save up some more money for some avids or something. I could get these shimanos for $90.
how do you plan on running v-brakes for a 24" wheel on 26" bosses?
and you may end up catching your legs on the rear v

Fritta

Likes Dirt
andrew said:
Fritta said:
how do you plan on running v-brakes for a 24" wheel on 26" bosses?
and you may end up catching your legs on the rear v
Figured out that once i got to the shop. I got an avid leaver and will buy a new cable and u's later. Thanx for the help guys.