Worth servicing 2012 ABD FLow or sell & replace?

1Jono1

Squid
Pulled my bike out of storage, and needs a service.

Worth putting say $200-$250 into my bike and getting it fresh, Or should i sell it and get something newer? Looking at riding the newly renovated Castle hill mainly, And a few other tracks around Brisbane.

Brakes need bleeding, Gears need adjusting, Need new tyres.
Was told Juicy Threes are shit to service/Bleed and it'll be just as easy and similar cost to replace them.

Pretty much everything listed on my bike below, What'll it be worth if i sell it?
Frame: 2012 ABD FLOW
Fork: Marzocchi Dirt Jump 3, 100mm
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X7
Brake Levers: Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc
Shifters: SRAM X-7 Triggers9 Speed
Crankset: Truvativ Ruktion 1.0, 36t single chainring
Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc
Hubs: Shimano M525 Disc 9 speed Cassette Rear/Front Sealed Bearing with 20mm Solid Thru Axle
Cassette: SRAM PG-950, 11-32T 9 speed
Handlebar: Truvativ Riser 31.8mm
Grips: Dual Density “Vice Grip" Grips
Handlebar Stem: Truvativ Hussefelt, 31.8mm
Pedals: Truvativ Hussefelt
Rims/Wheel Set: Sun Ditch Witch with Single Eyelet
Spokes: DT Stainless Steel
Saddle: Jump Saddle with Cromo Rails
Seat Post: Alloy 31.6mm Micro Adjust
Bottom Bracket: Truvativ Hussefelt ISIS Spline
Headset: Tange Fatty MX-2 1-1/8
Chain: Shimano CN-HG53 9 speed

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I reckon 200 fun tokens will sort your old bike out easily, how long has it been in storage?

IMHO you may as well ride this into the ground and if you're still keen then stump up for a new bike, end of the day $250 is better spent on something you already have as opposed to something new that may sit idle the the garage.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Do you have a photo, is it the sexy black one?
I was chasing one of these frames a while back..
is this the frame with the adaptable rear dropouts?..if so, I have a set of horizontal dropouts to suit an ABD Flow2 frame

1Jono1

Squid
I reckon 200 fun tokens will sort your old bike out easily, how long has it been in storage?

IMHO you may as well ride this into the ground and if you're still keen then stump up for a new bike, end of the day $250 is better spent on something you already have as opposed to something new that may sit idle the the garage.
Probably 3-5 years, ridden a handful of times since and only up and down my street.

is this the frame with the adaptable rear dropouts?..if so, I have a set of horizontal dropouts to suit an ABD Flow2 frame
Yep it's black! I think so with the dropouts, This is an old picture. Quite low quality. If you want any better quality photos just yell out.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you sell it as is what will you get? A few hundred dollary doos? If it bumped past 500 of them I'd be surprised. Then what will you buy? Most similar bikes worth owning seem to be starting at about $1300 new (***) and then more. So you're looking at say $1k down the pisser for something new. Now far be it from me to discourage spending and new bikes!!!! I'm all for new and would probably store the old on the shed as well because fuck it!!! A man needs bikes he never riders or posts pics of...anyway if you don't want to burn the papers up on a sweet new rig, you could up your service budget a bit and get that old rig rolling nice.

The frame looks pretty sweet and would probably come up nice with some fresh parts attached.
  • Brakes (shimano for the performance + price point win)
  • Service the forks and feel Marzocchi butter unless weight is an issue and you can find a suitable set of manitou circus.
  • convert to single speed because drive train is costly.
  • Tyres are cheap! Schwalbe table top are my dirt + Street go to at the moment.
  • Wider bars if you feel the urge for modern.

There's a few dollars in that and a bit of joy.

*** see similar discussion in this thread:

MARKL

Eats Squid
If you sell it as is what will you get? A few hundred dollary doos? If it bumped past 500 of them I'd be surprised. Then what will you buy? Most similar bikes worth owning seem to be starting at about $1300 new (***) and then more. So you're looking at say $1k down the pisser for something new. Now far be it from me to discourage spending and new bikes!!!! I'm all for new and would probably store the old on the shed as well because fuck it!!! A man needs bikes he never riders or posts pics of...anyway if you don't want to burn the papers up on a sweet new rig, you could up your service budget a bit and get that old rig rolling nice.

The frame looks pretty sweet and would probably come up nice with some fresh parts attached.
  • Brakes (shimano for the performance + price point win)
  • Service the forks and feel Marzocchi butter unless weight is an issue and you can find a suitable set of manitou circus.
  • convert to single speed because drive train is costly.
  • Tyres are cheap! Schwalbe table top are my dirt + Street go to at the moment.
  • Wider bars if you feel the urge for modern.
There's a few dollars in that and a bit of joy.

*** see similar discussion in this thread:
Replace!

Poodle we need to think of the greater good here. Sell and replace, don’t use, sell and replace in a couple of years time. This should see a long term supply of hardly run-in bike being available for years to come at bargain prices.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Replace!

Poodle we need to think of the greater good here. Sell and replace, don’t use, sell and replace in a couple of years time. This should see a long term supply of hardly run-in bike being available for years to come at bargain prices.
True the cycle of bike life is important.

B.J.

Likes Bikes
Hey fatboyonabike,
Do you still have the horizontal dropouts?
Thanks BJ

Last edited: