Would you buy a Malvern Star?

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok good call.

What I am saying though is that in terms of a $2.5k bike, the malvern stars seem competently put together. It isn't the lightest or most amazing, but at $2.5k it is a good deal, isn't going to mysteriously delaminate on you and has the back up of what seems like a good dealer network and company.

Sure, this isn't the best bike ever, but it is good value and if you want amazingness in a carbon frame then you are going to have to spend in the region of $4k+ just for the frame, IMO.
well put! ill agree with that.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Yet another thread degenerates into opinion swapping about asian manufacture from people who's only source of information is from that allanti article.
Not the source of my knowledge, mine is from 25+ visits to Taiwan, visits to a few bike trade shows, associates in the business, a brother in law that is a composite materials engineer, riding lots of bikes, talking a lot, doing some of my own research and the rest I make up! So you can see I have lots of other sources! I only really referenced the allanti article to back up my point most carbon fibre frames these days are made somewhere in Taichung, an industrial city that is roughly in the centre of Taiwan.

Sure there may be more CF manufacturers out there, but as we are talking about mass produced frames and not boutique exotica, I think that really only leaves Trek and Kestrel.

While the MS Oppy Lyon at $2500 was outstanding value and the one that sold out very very quickly, as the brand's market share grows they'll go from using factory supplied "open moulds" to their own proprietary designs as they start to elicit feedback from team riders and want to tweak things. Inevitable almost. I don't think the 2010 range is anywhere near the value of their first range of models. The upscaling has begun.

Anyway, if you are going to rule out Malvern Star, and buy a Giant or a Merida, I'll call that misplaced snobbery:D

Last edited:

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got one.

A Capo Sport to be precise.

It rides well. (Well enough for someone who knows nothing about road bikes...)
It wasn't uber expensive
It isnt the blingest bike out, but!
It works...

DOOOO EEEETTTTT

fletchog

Likes Dirt
Merida Scultura 907

Well after posting this thread i actually went out and bought a Merida Scultura with Ultegra 6700. In the end it came down to a slightly better spec and i just liked the look of it, bit more conventional with straight tubes.

Took it out for my first spin yesterday and am stoked, it is an awesome bike fast, light and comfortable.

HAKS

Likes Bikes
Well after posting this thread i actually went out and bought a Merida Scultura with Ultegra 6700. In the end it came down to a slightly better spec and i just liked the look of it, bit more conventional with straight tubes.

Took it out for my first spin yesterday and am stoked, it is an awesome bike fast, light and comfortable.
I'm looking at getting a Scultura 907. Will be keen to hear how you find yours :)

aline0807

Likes Bikes
or just wear a paper bag over your face when you go out riding so no one sees you?

nah i got nothin against malvern star, i dont own one so i dont know how they ride, could be as quick and nimble as jesus.

schwing

Likes Dirt
If you ride it and like ride with that secret smile that comes from having a bike that everyone else underestimates,or is ignorant of, and has at least a little ozzie pride under it's taiwanese skin!
Good as most better than many

Last edited:

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
Nice choice.

I first had a ride on a merida a couple of years ago and thought that it was a really good value bike. Since then I reckon that they have become amongst the best bikes full stop, not just from a value perspective. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. :)

I really hope the above poster was refering to taking the stickers off a malvern star...