Would you pay over a grand for a rear derailleur

jp4294

Likes Dirt
How could anyone pay that much for a derailleur that will probably get hit on a rock anyway?!?!
"Price: Only 750 euros (US$1,014)" :eek: Oh is that all

scblack

Leucocholic
It is a road bike derailleur, so it is not going to be hitting rocks any time soon.;)

But no, I am not about to pay $1,000 for a derailleur!

.Alex.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you had $1000 to shave weight off your bike, you could spend it somewhere else and loose heaps more weight

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you had $1000 to shave weight off your bike, you could spend it somewhere else and loose heaps more weight
Clearly, this thing is only intended for top-level racing road bikes, sponsored more than not.
They probably have no other place left to reduce weight on those bikes.
That being said, the real 'what's the point?' comes when you consider they could put the heaviest derailleur in existence on one of those said top-level racing road bikes and they'd still have to add extra weight to the bike to make it up to the UCI's minimum weight specs...
If the performance were somehow better, then maybe.
But I don't think it would be.

csd

Likes Dirt
They also make some of the nicest carbon wheels around too, though they are equally as expensive. If I had the cash, or a spare kidney to sell, I'd grab all their gear, but unfortnuately I'll be sticking to my rubbish Shimano 105 RD and wheels.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They also make some of the nicest carbon wheels around too, though they are equally as expensive. If I had the cash, or a spare kidney to sell, I'd grab all their gear, but unfortnuately I'll be sticking to my rubbish Shimano 105 RD and wheels.
It's not illegal to sell organs in Iran.
They have a very logical and reasonable trade there, government endorsed (and virtually no organ black market as a result).
You could most probably fly in, get the kidney removed, sell it, recover and fly back with enough cash left over for the wheelset and some other parts to boot.
So what's stopping you? :D

scblack

Leucocholic
It's not illegal to sell organs in Iran.
They have a very logical and reasonable trade there, government endorsed (and virtually no organ black market as a result).
You could most probably fly in, get the kidney removed, sell it, recover and fly back with enough cash left over for the wheelset and some other parts to boot.
So what's stopping you? :D
The excess beer consumption has ruined the organs........:p

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ever hear "you paid HOW MUCH for a bike!?!... WITH NO ENGINE!! you could have bought a car for that!" ??

Same thing. Some people have lots of money and like to buy stuff, doesn't matter how silly or usefull it is.

scrubzy

Squid
$1000 dollars could buy you a decent entry level downhill (stock)
I'd rather spend it on that (mainly because I need a new bike and only started downhilling this year)

dunndog

Eats Squid
could it be worth it? seriously? Whether or not you would or could spend that much on a dreailleur aside, could it possibly be worth the money?

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
could it be worth it? seriously? Whether or not you would or could spend that much on a dreailleur aside, could it possibly be worth the money?
The answer to that is dictated by personal opinion, if someone bought it and was happy with it, then it's worth it. There are plenty of people out there who just like to have the best gear whether or not they ride at top level.

I mean, if you could afford your dream DH bike with all top notch spec it would be worth it wouldn't it?

horsey

Likes Dirt
there is plenty of cashed up business executives who would by this for their new custom colnago to roll down and pose at the local coffee shop.

and its great for the industry that this market exists. cause it allows the bike companies to spend more on R&D and eventually the technology trickles down to mainstream.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
there is plenty of cashed up business executives who would by this for their new custom colnago to roll down and pose at the local coffee shop.

and its great for the industry that this market exists. cause it allows the bike companies to spend more on R&D and eventually the technology trickles down to mainstream.
It's not exactly any uber new technology, just a skeletal carbon fiber rear mech with KCNC wheels. Im pretty sick of this stereotypical attitude to rich business people - they're generally wealthy because their good with money, not because they blow a grand on a rear derailleur.

horsey

Likes Dirt
It's not exactly any uber new technology, just a skeletal carbon fiber rear mech with KCNC wheels. Im pretty sick of this stereotypical attitude to rich business people - they're generally wealthy because their good with money, not because they blow a grand on a rear derailleur.
as stated in my post its great that high earning people exist and want to spend their money on high end bicycle products. marketing works by targeting your product at specific audiences (stereotypes).

maxxim

Squid
the great thing about ridiculous items like that is, its what drives innovation in the lower end of the market. they get it right and make it grand first up then think of the "deore" equivalent of that "XTR" beast.

just sayin, would never spend that much though...