Wrist gaurds/supports.

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
hi all ,any trials riders out there use wrist supports ?if so what sort and where did you get them.
cheers danny.:help:

Lilley

Likes Dirt
I have used a basic neoprene style wrist wrap from the chemist a couple of times while regaining strength in the wrist after a break. It felt like it offered the little bit of extra support I needed without limiting movement. I know a few downhillers have who have used the 661 and been happy.

I believe TRA used the All Sports Dynamics wrist braces when he was having wrist problems but they look like they would be a lot more expensive then the 661. http://www.allsportdynamics.com/braces.htm

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
thanks for the tips guys.My main problem is after the ride and the next day my wrists ache so i thought something to support them during the ride would prevent this.I do warm up a little but was thinking it my be my bar position, maybe to far forward,but it feels ok .If any body has got some set up advice i like to hear .
cheers

nonch

Likes Bikes
thanks for the tips guys.My main problem is after the ride and the next day my wrists ache so i thought something to support them during the ride would prevent this.I do warm up a little but was thinking it my be my bar position, maybe to far forward,but it feels ok .If any body has got some set up advice i like to hear .
cheers
In my experience a wrist guard won't really prevent the aching if you're coming back from a broken bone. The aching is caused from tendinitis (or at least it was in my case) and the best cure is to massage your wrist and forearm and stretch it before and after rides.

loc81

Likes Dirt
Hi Danny,

I use a 661 wrist wrap, work well, have had a few reasonable offs and my wrist has held up ok,

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_66...&product=cf05a111-b689-4b44-90c3-24a04a1bab65
Nice to see some feedback on these. As I wait out the boring and frustrating recovery of a broken 5th metacarpal, I started looking at stuff like this.
I was thinking of the basic one (not the pro) as it wraps into your palm a little. I'm guessing even if its only thin neoprene, it could be the difference in impact between a sore wrist and a hospital visit- and the madness of having a hand in a cast.
Only concern it how they feel after a few hours riding!

My blog: www.justmytype81.wordpress.com
Stuff about stuff I like- bikes, music, food and laughs. Subscribe.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The advice I received from an orthopeadic surgeon, was you need the hard support that prevents you moving, and even then it will likely simply transfer the fracture point - ie instead of scaphoid you get a radius fracture or distal metarsals (?)

Might prevent sprains I suppose (thumb and wrist being the bigger ones)

danthebloke

Likes Dirt
I decided against buying wrist gaurds and worked on strengthening instead ,i got some fishing line a good size star sinker and a piece of broom handle about 500mm long,tie the line and sinker in the middle of the handle and wind up wind down wind up wind down.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
The advice I received from an orthopeadic surgeon, was you need the hard support that prevents you moving, and even then it will likely simply transfer the fracture point - ie instead of scaphoid you get a radius fracture or distal metarsals (?)

Might prevent sprains I suppose (thumb and wrist being the bigger ones)
That is my understanding too. Though I'm assuming the radius and ulna bones are a lot more stronger than the wrist bones so less likely to break.

monterro

Cannon Fodder
The Tory lee wrist supports are a good as well. It's helped get me back on the straight and narrow.
Also strengthening is also the key.

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
That is my understanding too. Though I'm assuming the radius and ulna bones are a lot more stronger than the wrist bones so less likely to break.
Well, they are a bit stronger, but the real advantage is that they mend/heal better. So a fracture through the two long bones is probably going to heal faster with much fewer complications than a fracture through the carpals/wrist bones and joint.

I've been using Burton snowboard wrist guards. It's ghetto (cheap) and the hard bracing interferes with your grip as it extends into your palm. I reckon it needs to if you really want to protect the wrist. No issues snow boarding but may be a deal breaker for riding.

If you do have an off, they will save your wrists. I became a believer after watching a snowboard instructor at Ohau break both her wrists when she decided to have another "last run" - after removing her helmet and wrist guards...:nightmare:

bodyguard-wrist_guard-1.jpg

VolarSplint.jpg

If you want to do it professionally, there are moto specific designs that provide the support on the top of the wrist/palm. These do not interfere with your grip.

file_79_6.jpg

Kirk Brace.jpg

dunndog

Eats Squid
Just doing a bit of research into this field, I fractured my right scaphoid 3 weeks ago. It's aligned and healing well, 5 more weeks in the cast and I'll hopefully be able to spend a few weeks strengthening and conditioning the area before slowly getting riding again. A lot of the posts in this thread are a bit dated now, does anyone have any recent experiences and recommendations? I'd like to not bust the budget aka the all sports braces, but of course money isn't my primary concern. Riding in nz for a week mid Jan safely is my primary concern..

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I messed up my wrist a few times and then quite badly a few weeks ago. I am not entirely sure what I have done, but it is just good enough to ride if I protect it.
I bought some of the 661 wrist wraps off CRC (2015 model I think) and they seem to support it just well enough to keep me going. They do not seem terribly durable, but I think they would be good enough to offer a little protection in a stack. If you wanted something very protective then I do not think these will do the job. They have a light plastic strip on each side of the hand and that is about it.