VIC WTB: 2008 Giant Yukon FX (Small)

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Item: 2008 Giant Yukon FX
Location: Melbourne area, willing to arrange a pick up location
Price range/Willing to Pay: $350-$450
Extra Info: Small frame size, complete bike would be preferable. As long as its in reasonably good condition, I'm happy. My girlfriend wants this bike and if it comes without any particular parts, no stress as I have my own little collection of bits and pieces.

Please PM me

I've looked on Gumtree, Pinkbike and eBay but only come across large sizes or Canadian bikes.

Image:

yukon_fx copy.jpg

Thanks!:dance:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I used to have an SX in large.

If you find one, just be wary of the chainstays.
They have a habit of snapping.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I seen a small and medium on ebay recently, same seller. Don't know if they sold or not.

Nup, both sold. I think Ezka's old one is up for grabs in ringwood if she can stretch out to a 20"

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I used to have an SX in large.

If you find one, just be wary of the chainstays.
They have a habit of snapping.
Yes, yes they do. Picked up a frame recently for the boy, came with three rears, a broken one, a repaired one and a new one.

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

That's a bit of a pain how the stays snap. Although, she wouldn't be doing anything that'll place *too* much on the frame, but I'll try and persuade her to check out some other bikes too.
However, she is still very interested in this model in the smaller size, I'm afraid she wouldn't be able to stretch onto a large frame, as my medium Trance is already at that point of being on the slightly bigger side for her.

If anything does come up though, I'm still willing to take a look at it :)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
How much do you like her? Little enough to risk repaired carbon?
It's only the TT so nothing critical to the bike's integrity.

iMattel

Cannon Fodder
How much do you like her? Little enough to risk repaired carbon?
It's only the TT so nothing critical to the bike's integrity.
Gee, I hope he likes me enough to care for my safety :p

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it... Is it bad that I still want this bike? (I'm being stubborn now. I reeeally like it!)

With reference to what you have advised, I found this:
http://forums.mtbr.com/giant/yukon-fx-broken-weld-pics-465849.html

Do you think Giant is still warranting this kind of thing if it's a "known issue" and will replace the chain stay? Is it likely to happen again once replaced?

Sorry for the n00b questions. Just here doing my job by embarrassing poor @yiannos18.

Ta,
M

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
If you were the original frame owner, it would be warrantied.
You wouldn't receive a replacement part though, as they're no longer in production.

I had my '08 SX warrantied in late 2011/early 2012 and went home with a $2000 Trance for $1000.

Was offered an XTC at no cost, but didn't wanna go back to a hardtail.

If you're set on a Giant, you'd be better off looking at an Anthem for a 4" travel bike.

Looking at the pictures in the link you provided... mine didn't snap at the weld, it snapped about 2 inches back from the weld, toward the back of the bike.
It was covered with a chainstay protector so I didn't even notice until it tore right through and the whole rear of the bike flexed out sideways.

Last edited: