Item: Rear Shock 200x51
Item Condition: You tell me
Reason for wanting: I don't like the Fox RP23
Price and price conditions: You tell me
Extra Info: Coil or air not fussed
Pictures: Yes please

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What bike is it going in? How much do you weigh?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

bjhall78

Likes Bikes
I have read that a 200x57 will fit. I am not that confident that it will because when I compress it without air, the rear triangle just touches the seat tube. Research also tells me that some 200x57 shocks can be reduced in travel.

moorey

call me Mia
I have read that a 200x57 will fit. I am not that confident that it will because when I compress it without air, the rear triangle just touches the seat tube. Research also tells me that some 200x57 shocks can be reduced in travel.
Yeah, that’s not good. Shouldn’t touch with a 51 then. You sure it’s 2015? Not much earlier, they ran a shock with shorter e2e and stroke.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Pinkbike sayeth:

"...stock shock is actualy 7.875x2.25 but travel is limited internally.. so if you take air out of the shock and bottom out the shock it bottoms out at 2" stroke. i ran float x 7.875x2.25 before i sold the bike and it didn't touch anything on bottom out.
on the upside, you get more travel out of your trance"

If you want to try that size which is pretty common I can send you the original RP23 off my Bronson and you can do the deflated thing and check clearances. Not sure what it will do to any other bits, that is your risk.

bjhall78

Likes Bikes
On that I have had a thought (dangerous I know). What about running the a newer 210x55. Yes it would raise the bottom bracket by 10mm but also increase the travel from 140 to 154mm. I could run a offset bushing (or two) to counteract the BB height increase. By raising the BB slightly I think it would also provide the room for the extra 14mm of rear wheel travel. Fork could then run at 160mm like the Trance SX

moorey

call me Mia
On that I have had a thought (dangerous I know). What about running the a newer 210x55. Yes it would raise the bottom bracket by 10mm but also increase the travel from 140 to 154mm. I could run a offset bushing (or two) to counteract the BB height increase. By raising the BB slightly I think it would also provide the room for the extra 14mm of rear wheel travel. Fork could then run at 160mm like the Trance SX
Some Trances only allow offsets one end, so you're looking at possibly 2mm offset only. I think you're in dangerous territory, so I'm stepping out also. You're really messing with the bike's intent. Maybe talk to someone at NSD about options?

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds to me like the shock already on there might be 57mm stroke. Can you measure/confirm?

210x55 sounds like a bad idea all around though - just my opinion.

bjhall78

Likes Bikes
I found the problem. The shock that came with the frame is a 185x50. Doesn't fix my shock with the lack of compression dampening but I at least know why it was touching the frame. Now there is a possibility that a 200x57 shock will fit.

moorey

call me Mia
I found the problem. The shock that came with the frame is a 185x50. Doesn't fix my shock with the lack of compression dampening but I at least know why it was touching the frame. Now there is a possibility that a 200x57 shock will fit.
I don't know of 185x50. The earlier models ran 185x44. Is it some custom dealie that's been customised wrong?

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure if it's what your after, but I have a DHX2 for sale in 200x57 in the For Sale section:

If you're Melbourne based, happy for you to fit it and try it out to see whether the longer stroke works.