Wylde MTB trail Western Sydney Parklands

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
As anybody on RB ridden the new Wylde MTB trail at Cecil Park yet?
How does it compare to other trails in the Sydney region?
How long is the track?
Is it suitable for kids? 6 and 8 year boys.

Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to know before I commit to an hour drive to get there.

ChopSticks

Banned
As anybody on RB ridden the new Wylde MTB trail at Cecil Park yet?
How does it compare to other trails in the Sydney region?
How long is the track?
Is it suitable for kids? 6 and 8 year boys.

Sorry for all the questions but I'd like to know before I commit to an hour drive to get there.
wrote this review a couple of weeks ago:

rode with a few mates who did the trial runs.. and was promised it was nothing like Mt Annan *cheers*... but the Muthafo's lied... it was similar to Mt Annan ie pedal pedal pedal uphill... (however not as boring, and slightly more rewarding)
a few fun bits with HUGE berms.
The Rolley Polley section almost threw me OTB... didn't see the drop at the end so be careful, but luckily pulled it off :heh:
some small doubles here and there but nothing that will kill you
and some seriously long knarly rock gardens.... LOL JOKES the 'rock gardns' are 1-2m long and you could pedal over it with a beach cruiser.
all up theres a 12km loop, with the option to ride smaller loops 6km and 8?(I think). There's also a small pump track + jump track for the dj crowd.

its essentially a trail that anyone can ride (I think that was the point) similar to Mt Annan.. the more legs you have... the easier it will be. Therefore not my cuppa tea

The bike washing facilities is a nice touch... however no toilets. The lack/location of rubbish bins is also a fail.
The stench of the opposite rubbish tip? is just revolting! Cant imagine what it will be like on a hot 30+ degree day.

In short.... I didnt enjoy it (was also pushing a bigger front ring than what I'm use to, so I felt every climb).
My 2cents: Its not a trail I will drive 1hr~ each way to ride (and most definitely not a trail I would pay $20+ for tolls to get to/from my place)

But def checking it out... at least you can say you've ridden it !
Guess its not a bad track if you're local. But for me its not somewhere I'd consider/suggest riding again anytime soon, but for those XC and cyclecross riders... You'll have a ball.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Rode a couple of loops about a week ago and I thought it was good.
12.3km, 6km & 3km also a very short loop of about 1.5km that comes back to the Pump Track.
The Kids will enjoy that track even if they don't do the XC.

Hey Chops, don't you think it is a more interesting track than Mt Annan.

I rode a loop in 45 minutes, riding quick but not flat out.

The only thing I didn't understand is they made up hill rollovers.???
Toilets are at the Gun Club down the tar road about 500metres. It's okay to use them.

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Might have to give this place a go. I didn't mind Mt Annan but it wasn't really worth the drive. A bit too groomed.

Maybe a few of us should get together out there?

I havnt done the last loop as i was too unfit and pissed off over over all the uphill features... up hill rock gardens, up hill hills that look like they should be ridden backwards as jumps.... to much uphill pedal for little reward.

At least at Wylde it has trees and shade compared to Mt Annan which lacks those things being a botanic garden lol

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Where the 6klm loop turn back and the tracks meet there is a gate which is off Elizabeth drive you can cut out the yellow, blue and red sections and just do the purple 9 and 12 klm loop sections.
Thanks for the replies, are all the tracks shown on the map made? I thought they were only building it in sections.
With the kids loops it might be worth the trip out at some stage.

Is the yellow track suitable for riding with a kid on the back, I have 2 riding kids and a 15month old.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
When you say " a kid on the back ", if you mean one of those rumble seats.
There are a LOT of rollovers out there, be careful.
All those tracks are built and riding well.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Yes i do mean in a back seat or a Weeride in front of me. If I can take the little one for a ride with me whilst I'm following the other kids I can earn some brownie points. I'd only be riding at a 6 year olds pace and only doing the shorter beginner tracks.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I rode the place and rate it. It has climbs yes, that also means it has descents. The track u ride flowed well.
I'll go out there again, plus the good thing is I don't think it'll erode into a rock pile of shit that the dam or sections of Hornsby has.
I can take my dj for the pumptrack plus jumps there, do some laps, or take my kids there. Win all round.

I just get sad because I used to ride Mx in there when I was 18 and that.

kixx

Squid
Where the 6klm loop turn back and the tracks meet there is a gate which is off Elizabeth drive you can cut out the yellow, blue and red sections and just do the purple 9 and 12 klm loop sections.
Just a note, as of late, full 6 ft high fencing has been erected around the trails and this gate is now locked so doubt you'll be able to get in this way.

I'm not one for the uphill section but the down hill is good reward, plenty of features to keep me on my toes and after it all, I can stuff about on my dj on the jumps in front of the car park.
The fact that I can choose how many kms I wanna do that the is a godsend.
Double win in my books!