Wylde MTB trail Western Sydney Parklands

advanti

Squid
Rode this for the first time this morning whilst im loving councils investing in building new trails wasn't enough on the trail to entice me to come back. Was 12km of riding with very few technical bits...lots of pedalling so much so I felt I needed my rode bike in stages lol.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Whats the traffic like up that way at the moment . Thinking about coming up tomorrow or heading to Nowra . Apparently traffic congestion is bad down south so figure it should be better up sydney way .

mtb1611

Seymour
What the hell do some of you want? A cross country mtb course that doesn't involve pedaling? Complaining about a mtb course that involves effort is a complete wank. Sell your bike if the need to pedal it bothers you so. Sheesh.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First ride out there this morning and thought it was great. I will complain as much as anyone about pedalling my tubby ass up a hill but only way to get better is to do it.
Liked that a couple of corners in the park section are flat and loose, not all bermed. Would like to see better rock gardens. Something you cant just glide through.
And no toilets is a wtf were they thinking planning issue. Especially about now with the shooting centre closed.
So its not a stromlo but its a lot of fun and good for training. And so easy to get to it makes it viable to do before breakfast of a weekend so wife likes it too.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Hi tubby, I went yesterday. Just missed out on crossing paths. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

apsilon

Likes Dirt
I think this may be my first post in about 8 years LOL.

it's been almost that long since I rode on dirt but I dusted off (literally) my Heckler and made my first visit to Wylde last Tues. I didn't ride all the trails as I was taking it easy on the bike and myself but IMO it's a great facility to have FREE access to. Going to try and get out there again next Tues.

crash3

Likes Dirt
I think this may be my first post in about 8 years LOL.

it's been almost that long since I rode on dirt but I dusted off (literally) my Heckler and made my first visit to Wylde last Tues. I didn't ride all the trails as I was taking it easy on the bike and myself but IMO it's a great facility to have FREE access to. Going to try and get out there again next Tues.
Great place hey? Heading out there for the third time this evening after work (hoping to be on the bike riding by about 6). If anyone is there and wants to say g'day I'll be driving the '99 grey pulsar hatch, riding a blue/white Trek hardtail.

-Jake

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm thinking about entering an all mountain race at the parklands in March. Can anyone make comment on the elevation and technical skill required to race there? I live in Newcastle so it's not really a quick drive down to have a look.

Luco

Likes Dirt
No skill, just big legs
+1.

There is a fair amount of climbing, much more than I anticipated when i rode it for the first time the other week. Although it's all very achievable; the climbs aren't that steep, just lots of them. There is no more than half a dozen rock gardens which consist of no more than 10 rocks each. So technicality is very low. It is however quite fun, especially the last 3kms. Good luck.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for the info. I have big legs but unfortunately a big body to push around :(

How does it compare to Ourimbah or Awaba?

Luco

Likes Dirt
thanks for the info. I have big legs but unfortunately a big body to push around :(

How does it compare to Ourimbah or Awaba?
It's hard to compare wylde to those tracks as they're both a lot of fun ;) yeah I would say similar climbing efforts to awaba, probably not as steep, but not at all close to the technical nature of them. There was nothing at wylde that made me stop and think before I rode a section. There is an elevated section of track with about 4 humps and a weird drop off which many people have commented that it is difficult to navigate. I would say that is the only section that makes you think. It doesn't offer that same exhilarating feeling that both your northern tracks offer.

I rode it on a 2013 giant reign with a minion DH tyre on the front, needless to say it was way overkill for the course.

The pump and jump track at the bottom is actually quite fun :)

tex72

Likes Dirt
I'm thinking about entering an all mountain race at the parklands in March. Can anyone make comment on the elevation and technical skill required to race there? I live in Newcastle so it's not really a quick drive down to have a look.
Are you sure that it is an 'all mountain' race?
Wylde is a ~11km xc loop albeit fun with a couple of man made features, nothing too technical. Elevation would be best described as undulating. It also has a set of DJs & a pump track. Not what I would call an 'all mountain' park
Who is running the event? Maybe they are going to cut in some new track.

scblack

Leucocholic
I had not come across this before, I'll have to pop down for a look. I work a 15minute drive away so a lunch time spin should be manageable.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you sure that it is an 'all mountain' race?
Wylde is a ~11km xc loop albeit fun with a couple of man made features, nothing too technical. Elevation would be best described as undulating. It also has a set of DJs & a pump track. Not what I would call an 'all mountain' park
Who is running the event? Maybe they are going to cut in some new track.
It's part of the Police games. They have an XC and an All Mountain event. I've emailed the organiser for more info but still waiting on a reply. I'd doubt they'd be cutting more track in but I have been wrong many times before.

T.3

Likes Dirt
Rode it today, really fun trail, definitely XC oriented. Felt over gunned on a 130mm travel 29er. Would love to ride it on a hard tail.

As for All Mountain, it doesn't come close to what I define All Mountain as. That's not a criticism of the trail, it's obviously designed as a fun XC course.

If hypothetically more trail was cut in to make it more challenging or All Mountain oriented I don't know where you could do it. The high point of the parkland seemed to be where the communication tower is. That's not much more elevation than where the existing trail goes and even then it's not particularly steep, rocky etc.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
word, I rode it on my 100mm travel jump bike with long seat post.
not a great choice due to geo plus climbs, but more bike than that isn't required.
not bad if you're close tho.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I received a reply from the organiser and it looks like it will be utilising the current trails. He said he went for a look yesterday to work out which trails to use and thinks that I should be fine riding there if I've ridden Glenrock, Awaba and Ourimbah before.

Is there going to be enough elevation for a decent gravity style race there?

I'll be on a Yeti 575 so from what others have said, it will be overkill. Not much choice there really as my backup is a GT Force.

Anyway, I'm keen to give it a run and checking out new trails is awesome as well.

Luco

Likes Dirt
I received a reply from the organiser and it looks like it will be utilising the current trails. He said he went for a look yesterday to work out which trails to use and thinks that I should be fine riding there if I've ridden Glenrock, Awaba and Ourimbah before.

Is there going to be enough elevation for a decent gravity style race there?

I'll be on a Yeti 575 so from what others have said, it will be overkill. Not much choice there really as my backup is a GT Force.

Anyway, I'm keen to give it a run and checking out new trails is awesome as well.
Tbh with the amount if thought you've put into riding at wylde I think your gonna be disappointed! If you can handle ourimbah and awaba, then this will be a snack. Definitely not enough descending and technical features for a gravity style race. There's a few table tops to hit.... Oh and did I mention the pump track and dj track is quite fun?
Good luck :)