X fusion Sweep or RS Revelation RCT3

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I'm keen to upgrade the fox forks (evo) that came on my trance 2 27.5. Currently looking at the x fusion sweep and the rockshox RCT3. Anyone ridden both that can compare? Even if you've ridden a Slant I'd be interested in your thoughts as its basically the same as a sweep.
I've had a revelation in the past and liked it a lot and I am happy enough with the stiffness of 32mm stantions at 140mm, but the x fusions consistently get good reviews and give me the option of going to 160mm travel if I want.
The main thing I like in a fork is a supple feel and something I can service myself. I don't need big hit ability and I don't need compression adjustment. All forks I've owned, I've ended up with the compression completely open and then just left there, so the lack of adjustment of the sweep doesn't bother me much.

Also how does solo-air compare with dual air? My old revelations were dual air so easy to get dialled in nice and supple feeling.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I'm keen to upgrade the fox forks (evo) that came on my trance 2 27.5. Currently looking at the x fusion sweep and the rockshox RCT3. Anyone ridden both that can compare? Even if you've ridden a Slant I'd be interested in your thoughts as its basically the same as a sweep.
I've had a revelation in the past and liked it a lot and I am happy enough with the stiffness of 32mm stantions at 140mm, but the x fusions consistently get good reviews and give me the option of going to 160mm travel if I want.
The main thing I like in a fork is a supple feel and something I can service myself. I don't need big hit ability and I don't need compression adjustment. All forks I've owned, I've ended up with the compression completely open and then just left there, so the lack of adjustment of the sweep doesn't bother me much.

Also how does solo-air compare with dual air? My old revelations were dual air so easy to get dialled in nice and supple feeling.
i have the Trace 29ers with 34mm stantions.I am a big fan of them. No fuss- set and forget, supple, dont ramp up harshly, dont wallow like the Fox 34s they replaced, and a third of the price (paid 500 bucks new cause they were white not cool and black)- no brainer folks. Duncan is great to work with. Go for it

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I am happy enough with the stiffness of 32mm stantions at 140mm.
The main thing I like in a fork is a supple feel and something I can service myself. I don't need big hit ability and I don't need compression adjustment.
How do your current Fox's not fit this wish list ? I understand that yours do not have the better FIT damper and, depending on model year, they can be a bit lacking in compression damping. However, I have never come across a fox 32 that wasn't supple and easy to service.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
How do your current Fox's not fit this wish list ? I understand that yours do not have the better FIT damper and, depending on model year, they can be a bit lacking in compression damping. However, I have never come across a fox 32 that wasn't supple and easy to service.
No problem servicing them, but they have heaps of stiction. I've serviced them a few times already and they feel ok for about the first hour of riding after a service and then they gradually get worse again. I also find the damping gets very inconsistent when riding through really rocky stuff. It starts to top out harshly like its losing rebound damping. Not all the time just occasionally. Its an ok fork, but I'm not really feeling the love for it.

DJR

Likes Dirt
is this a 2013 or 2014 fox fork you have? Talas? I know the 2013 talas assembly has more stiction due to more seals than 2014... you might just be able to change the talas cart or change the left hand leg's cart to a float rather than talas

also have you tried some fork juice or silicon spray on the stanchions yet?

i have the 32 talas ctd on my '14 trance, it goes pretty well I think, if was to upgrade it I'd probably get RS Pikes or the X-fusions

BKMad

Likes Dirt
is this a 2013 or 2014 fox fork you have? Talas? I know the 2013 talas assembly has more stiction due to more seals than 2014... you might just be able to change the talas cart or change the left hand leg's cart to a float rather than talas

also have you tried some fork juice or silicon spray on the stanchions yet?

i have the 32 talas ctd on my '14 trance, it goes pretty well I think, if was to upgrade it I'd probably get RS Pikes or the X-fusions
2014 floats so no talas. Maybe there's just something wrong with them. When I say I've serviced them a few times, all I've done is a lowers service. I haven't opened up the damper or spring cartridges yet. I'm now thinking that I should make sure there enough oil in the damper.

I haven't tried any sprays on the stanchions. No other fork I've owned has ever needed it.

will2

Likes Dirt
X-Fusion is the way to go, and will also have money left in your pocket to do some other things.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a set of 2014 Fox 34's in 650B if you're interested PM me. Only done 300km, got replaced by Pikes.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
2014 floats so no talas. Maybe there's just something wrong with them. When I say I've serviced them a few times, all I've done is a lowers service. I haven't opened up the damper or spring cartridges yet. I'm now thinking that I should make sure there enough oil in the damper.

I haven't tried any sprays on the stanchions. No other fork I've owned has ever needed it.
If they are the open bath damper then the lower service does replace the damper fluid. Did you put a lot more fluid into the damper side compared to the air spring side ?

BKMad

Likes Dirt
If they are the open bath damper then the lower service does replace the damper fluid. Did you put a lot more fluid into the damper side compared to the air spring side ?
They're the new 'open cartridge' damper so damper fluid is kept separate in the cartridge. A lot of the stiction comes from this damper. It is incredibly hard to cycle by hand (in the decend setting with rebound backed off, before you ask).

It sounds like a resounding vote for the x fusion. I think I'll give them a go.